The Pipe Again !!

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenwick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: The Pipe Again !!
    Posted: 14 May 2019 at 6:06pm
Fenwick1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Just called into the The Pipe at Rotoiti for a look and fish at 5 pm.
Here we go again .
Three guys fishing with 2 casting 1 getting his gear sorted .
At the pipe 1 deck chair with unattended rod which was had been casted into the lake ,also next to it a rod stand awaiting a rod .
So I decided to drive on as am not interested in this sort of fishing .
I thought you had to be in contact with your rod while fishing ??
Had this issue last Autumn at the same spot and was advised to lump it or leave it .So nothing changes I guess.
If i'm wrong tell me .
If my winge is right then how about some signage advising the ethics or rules as its a real pain to drive all the way there to be confronted with said problem.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:02pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I fail to see how heave & leave style fishing, accompanied by deck chairs & rod holderscan qualify in an area defined as "fly fishing only".
Areas like the pipe & Ruato, really should be reserved for genuine fly casters, not the armchair "shags".
Sad really & I feel your pain Fenwick.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:20pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Love it or hate it thats The Pipe for ya..

Theres still good fishing either side of the heave an leavers and when theres no flow, often do better than the guys on pole position.

I join them now an again for a laugh and a rest but when ive had enough ill go for a drive and have found plenty of good areas close by or on other lakes with fish and no other fishos.

BTW any one catching anything, Havent been out this winter season and am getting an itchy casting arm.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenwick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:50pm
Fenwick1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

thanks ,
pleased I m not alone with my thoughts.
Taa
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenwick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 7:51pm
Fenwick1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks ,
yes if I dont like then move on .
Not happy but realistic.
Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 May 2019 at 8:13pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Would be interesting to know how the shoreline fishing is going.
I've had a few pretty ordinary days jigging these last few weeks & I know I'm not alone with that.
When I say ordinary, that sometimes means zilch, not what one would expect from a lake lite Rotoiti.Shocked
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RC17 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 9:52am
RC17 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If I'm fishing the pipe I will usually take a chair in winter as I figure without needing to wade and the likelihood of a decent chunk of time between fish it can get pretty boring and tiring standing staring at a blank chunk of water. Having said that I am always in contact with my rod.

Fully get where you are coming from regarding the guys who pitch their tent at 4am, start fishing and 5am, and don't move until the end of the day. Day after day. 

The pipes just one of those places you go for a yarn and to pass a couple of hours, much better "fly fishing" options around. 

Having said that, the odd occasion you fluke it and get there after rain and the locals aren't in residence is an exciting feeling haha.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dad06 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 May 2019 at 2:41pm
Dad06 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

What news from the pipe and Ruato so far is there much moving.
Down next week to do some fishing.Casting is the only way to fish these i reckon nothing against heave and leave just not my cup of tea.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote flyfisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 9:54am
flyfisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is what happens when locals see trout as solely a "food source" not sport - they will catch and kill by any means for a feed, hence the huge problem with poaching in that area as well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/troutboynz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 11:13am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well said, Flyfisher.
Same ilk as the locals who have an intimidation-based hold on the bridge pools of the Waitahanui and Tongariro.

From what I've seen, those types have no passion for the 'sport'/'pastime' of angling, and seem to get no joy out of hooking and landing one of the world's great sporting fish.

Just look at the gear they use, the way they kick their quarry up the beach, their lack of respect for the environment.

The chance of these people seeing the light is zero. Better to just seek out other areas.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snuffit. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 2:02pm
Snuffit. View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I kinda dont agree with all the above in that I know a few of the boys that camp out there. They are not locals. But by dint of staying there (in vans and whatnot) for extended periods they are seen as 'locals'. Most don't even eat trout. Their buzz is catching big as fk trout. And yup, they get out of the scratcher either @ 4.30am or as soon as headlights appear, to nab the 'best spots' for the morning fish.

I went back there last year having not been for many years. I was told to bring a "deck chair and warm clothes". 

Its not my scene....
You cant eat my toast fish
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 3:26pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by flyfisher flyfisher wrote:

This is what happens when locals see trout as solely a "food source" not sport - they will catch and kill by any means for a feed, hence the huge problem with poaching in that area as well.

I'm slightly offended by this comment...I'm curious to know what you mean by "locals"?  

Are you implying that everyone in the Rotorua Lakes area looks at trout as solely a food source?  And that we all catch and kill them by any means?  I'm a local and have fished these lakes for the last 40 years.  I fish for sport AND for food, as do most of the "local" fishermen I know.

You also seem to be implying that fishermen and women who employ the heave and leave method, are no better than poachers.

And for those that don't think it qualifies as fly fishing, the current regulations say otherwise...

“fly fishing” means to fish for sports fish with fly rod and fly reel and fly line and artificial fly."

"No licence holder when fishing for sports fish shall: 3.3.4 Be more than 15m from the rod being used."

I agree with Snuffit...it's not my scene, but I also don't feel the need to talk rubbish about those that do.  Maybe next time any of you are at the pipe, stop and have a yarn and a cuppa with whoever's there...you may be pleasantly surprised
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rotoruaflyfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 6:40pm
rotoruaflyfishing View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You have to take fish to ensure there is enough feed in the lake. Look at Oki at the moment rubbish skinny fish as there is too many trout in the lake. Have to take some out to counter balance.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 7:37pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What’s heave and leave? Casting a booby out on a sinking line and leaving it?

Fly fishing isn’t a big part of my life anymore, but personally, I have no problem with people using a method, so long as it’s actually fly fishing. I would hate for it to get like British fisheries where you can only use this fly, or that fly.

As a slightly sad side note, I was in Rotorua at the weekend and the amount of litter around the lake was disgusting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 8:14pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

[QUOTE=MightyBoosh] What’s heave and leave? Casting a booby out on a sinking line and leaving it?

Yep thats it either a Booby or Globug or both.Seldom left mostly slowly retreived.When i say slow im talking 5mins between casts hence where the seats come in to it.

Works so well IMO because you are not disturbing the shallow waters as much as you would with a floater,The area fished gets a rest between casts.
The fly is also staying in the zone alot longer and pisses off the fish enough to hopefully take a swipe.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 May 2019 at 10:45pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[/QUOTE]
I'm slightly offended by this comment...I'm curious to know what you mean by "locals"?  

You also seem to be implying that fishermen and women who employ the heave and leave method, are no better than poachers.

And for those that don't think it qualifies as fly fishing, the current regulations say otherwise...

“fly fishing” means to fish for sports fish with fly rod and fly reel and fly line and artificial fly."

"No licence holder when fishing for sports fish shall: 3.3.4 Be more than 15m from the rod being used."

I agree with Snuffit...it's not my scene, but I also don't feel the need to talk rubbish about those that do.  Maybe next time any of you are at the pipe, stop and have a yarn and a cuppa with whoever's there...you may be pleasantly surprised
[/QUOTE]

With respect, and not wishing to cause further offence, can I suggest you look closely at the Second Schedule regional specific Eastern Region regulations that cover Rotorua lakes (not just the First Schedule which are non-specific general regulations).
In certain situations, such as use of gear and closed seasons, the Second Schedule overrules the non-regional conditions. 

The Eastern Region regulations state:

"4.1 No licence holder shall fish for sports fish with a set rod unless he or she is fishing from a boat."

Where (in the definitions section) it states: ...“Set rod” means any assembled rod that is not in physical contact with a licence holder when being used to fish for sports fish."

Those shore-based 'regulars' who fish at the Pipe, Ruato etc and wander away from their rods while their lines and lures are in the water are in clear breach of the specific regulations that cover Rotoiti. 

Heave and leave in a stocked fishery where taking is encouraged is okay by me, as long as the angler holds the rod. But I don't like to see people using it with giant egg flies in places such as Otamangakau (Taupo district) - mainly because fish often suck down the "fly" in a fatal way.
I've seen people casting out floating egg/glow bugs on spin gear from jetties at Tarawera and wandering back to their bach deck with a beer!

In terms of a call for some semblance of etiquette, I don't think it's fair that the regulars can claim a spot by staking a claim at 4.45am and never moving all day, or popping back to their camper for a cuppa or whatever and thinking a deck chair and rod left on the scene means their 'possession' is maintained. Sad if they think that is acceptable. 

Also, while Flyfisher can clarify his comment himself, I'm pretty sure his mention of poachers referring to the numerous reported cases of local people prosecuted for poaching using nets, spears etc on spawning tributaries in the area - not any inference about heave and leave. 

I believe it's good to have a robust discussion on issues such as those described by the original poster.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fenwick1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:10am
Fenwick1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

well said .
It was my intention to get a feel for the thoughts of my fellow anglers .
And hear both sides of the story.
Thanks to everyone .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 12:42pm
Kooza View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My apologies...I stand corrected on the set rod regulations. I wonder then, whether F&G have ever tried enforcing these rules?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coochdog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 1:45pm
Coochdog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Fish an game issued plenty of warnings last season for leaving your rod unattended,as well as after hours fishing.The thing with the pipe though is you can see them coming a mile away.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 May 2019 at 8:58pm
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If a rod is unattended, why can't you wind it in and put the rod in a safe place?
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Page  12>