PRIMO SEAFOOD CHOWDER

Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: PRIMO SEAFOOD CHOWDER
    Posted: 10 Apr 2003 at 11:39am
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

60g butter�������������� 2 spring onions(chopped)
1/3 cup flour�������������pinch of cayenne pepper
salt & pepper�������������3 cups of fish stock
2x medium spuds(cubed)����300g tin cream style corn
2/3 cup sour cream������� chopped parsley
100g crab meat������������12 mussells(chopped)
160g shrimps(peeled)������130g cubed tarakihi fillets
*naturally other fish ingredients can be substituted or added. These are just the ones I used last time. I quite like the idea of crayfish and scallops but no-one has been kind enough to give me any...

Melt the butter in a pan. Add the spring onions and fry until softened. Stir in the flour, cayenne, and salt & pepper to taste and cook for 1 minute.
Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the seafood ingredients, the corn & potatoes & simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft but still hold their shape.
Stir in the sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.

I could live on this...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hooka1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2003 at 9:26pm
Hooka1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

God my mouth is watering mate!

Will be trying this one out for sure.

Cheers!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Apr 2003 at 10:25pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Thanks Mars.... im going to throw some meat from fish heads in that lot should be ok you reckon??.....

Cheers Lethal

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Apr 2003 at 11:01pm
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hooka1, you won't regret the effort!

Lethal, yeah thats OK, but the main thing you're after is the stock from the fish heads. I just get some good quality heads like snapper or puka, and boil them up with some onions thrown in. Doesn't take long, and then drain off the liquid and theres your stock. Some nice bits of meat do come off in the process, and I'll put them into the stock also. I'd love to know some other recipes I could use the stock in though, as I think it makes a big difference with the chowder, instead of using just water.

Mars
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Apr 2003 at 10:42pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

well Mars i tried your chowder out im so full im having problems sitting here writing this it is fantastic mate..... i made up about 20 cups of the stuff with the meat off the fish heads of those two fish i caught yesterday, i left the sweetcorn out because thats not me, took the whole pot up to me mates place and he and i plus familys and 3 kids still could not finish it off... WOW mate i will be having more of that thanks.........
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mars Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 1:12am
Mars View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Glad I could be of assistance to you for a change! It's definitely a winner.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 2:20am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

its a winner alright just had the last of it for launch, just need some more heads......... hell its nice........those two heads and i didnt completely cover them produced enough to feed 4 adults 2 of them twice and 3 kids with still 1/2 a liter of stock left over....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bushpig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 8:19pm
Bushpig View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just had the chowder for tea. Top marks on that one Mars. My good lady reakons its better than anything she has had in a restaurant.

Lethal, I put the corn in and I think it gives it a certain something. Really did make that something special in the chowder. I was very surprised and think that you should try it.

Thanks Mars

Bushie

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tomsta Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2006 at 9:24am
Tomsta View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Question To get the "stock" all you do is throw the heads, scales and all,  backbones, flaps, a diced onion into a large pot with water and boil furiously for 20 minutes, then strain the juices and this is your stock.... Right??

Don't Moan about it, Just Do it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bazza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:51am
bazza View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
OBE - Over Bloody Eighty

Originally posted by Tomsta Tomsta wrote:

Question To get the "stock" all you do is throw the heads, scales and all,  backbones, flaps, a diced onion into a large pot with water and boil furiously for 20 minutes, then strain the juices and this is your stock.... Right??

Not right at all ........ do not boil EVER unless using for garden fertiliser or to attract
flies into a fly trap.

As stated in the "fish heads" threads ..... using cold water bring to a gentle simmer
hold it there for about 5 mins then leave to cool, then strain.

If you wish add fish bits that can be picked to the stock being careful to avoid
including  any scales or bones.

When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Finatic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:21pm
Finatic View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Crikey! This is an old thread!

For the stock it's best not to use oily fish. Also try adding to the pot; a few whole peppercorns, couple of parsley stems, pinch of thyme, bay leaf, clove.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Time to bring this out of the archives...

Trying this tonight, RIP Eric - LethalCry

Didn't have fish stock so using a cup of chicken stock and two cups of seafood soup (packet)

Shelled some mussells, bought some scallops and raw prawns and using frozen dory.

Oh and only one cubed potato and three chopped yams just to add a difference.

Simmering now and holy mackeral the smell, absolutely divine!
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote skunk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm
skunk View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Time to bring this out of the archives...

Trying this tonight, RIP Eric - LethalCry

Didn't have fish stock so using a cup of chicken stock and two cups of seafood soup (packet)

Shelled some mussells, bought some scallops and raw prawns and using frozen dory.

Oh and only one cubed potato and three chopped yams just to add a difference.

Simmering now and holy mackeral the smell, absolutely divine!

yes mate shes a keeper this one.
Been making variations of it since Mars posted it.
Nice work...Clap
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Situasian Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:14pm
Situasian View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Just made this tonight with snapper and was beautiful only problem I faced was with addition of other veges and using eyeometer for measurements I made around 15 servings. Looks like seafood chowder for next few days
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:57pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

You can make you own fish stock.
couple fish frames (excluding guts)
couple onions
couple lemons
few bay leaves
seasoning
put everything in in the biggest pot you have, top up with water, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hr then let cool. Drain off liquid and discard the solids. 

This is much more concentrated than shop bought stock and freezes well.

Also, good idea to cook this outside if you can. 

And for the chowder try using smoked fish instead of fresh