Forum Name: The Kitchen - Seafood Recipes
Forum Description: Share your favourite seafood recipes here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1265
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 1:32pm

Topic: PRIMO SEAFOOD CHOWDER
Posted By: Mars
Subject: PRIMO SEAFOOD CHOWDER
Date Posted: 10 Apr 2003 at 11:39am

60g butter�������������� 2 spring onions(chopped)
1/3 cup flour�������������pinch of cayenne pepper
salt & pepper�������������3 cups of fish stock
2x medium spuds(cubed)����300g tin cream style corn
2/3 cup sour cream������� chopped parsley
100g crab meat������������12 mussells(chopped)
160g shrimps(peeled)������130g cubed tarakihi fillets
*naturally other fish ingredients can be substituted or added. These are just the ones I used last time. I quite like the idea of crayfish and scallops but no-one has been kind enough to give me any...

Melt the butter in a pan. Add the spring onions and fry until softened. Stir in the flour, cayenne, and salt & pepper to taste and cook for 1 minute.
Gradually add the stock and bring to the boil. Add the seafood ingredients, the corn & potatoes & simmer for 15 minutes, or until potatoes are soft but still hold their shape.
Stir in the sour cream. Sprinkle with parsley to serve.

I could live on this...

Replies:
Posted By: Hooka1
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2003 at 9:26pm

God my mouth is watering mate!

Will be trying this one out for sure.

Cheers!

Posted By: Lethal
Date Posted: 11 Apr 2003 at 10:25pm

Thanks Mars.... im going to throw some meat from fish heads in that lot should be ok you reckon??.....

Cheers Lethal

Date Posted: 12 Apr 2003 at 11:01pm
Hooka1, you won't regret the effort!

Lethal, yeah thats OK, but the main thing you're after is the stock from the fish heads. I just get some good quality heads like snapper or puka, and boil them up with some onions thrown in. Doesn't take long, and then drain off the liquid and theres your stock. Some nice bits of meat do come off in the process, and I'll put them into the stock also. I'd love to know some other recipes I could use the stock in though, as I think it makes a big difference with the chowder, instead of using just water.

Mars

Date Posted: 19 Apr 2003 at 10:42pm
well Mars i tried your chowder out im so full im having problems sitting here writing this it is fantastic mate..... i made up about 20 cups of the stuff with the meat off the fish heads of those two fish i caught yesterday, i left the sweetcorn out because thats not me, took the whole pot up to me mates place and he and i plus familys and 3 kids still could not finish it off... WOW mate i will be having more of that thanks.........

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 1:12am
Glad I could be of assistance to you for a change! It's definitely a winner.

Date Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 2:20am
its a winner alright just had the last of it for launch, just need some more heads......... hell its nice........those two heads and i didnt completely cover them produced enough to feed 4 adults 2 of them twice and 3 kids with still 1/2 a liter of stock left over....

Posted By: Bushpig
Date Posted: 21 Apr 2003 at 8:19pm

Just had the chowder for tea. Top marks on that one Mars. My good lady reakons its better than anything she has had in a restaurant.

Lethal, I put the corn in and I think it gives it a certain something. Really did make that something special in the chowder. I was very surprised and think that you should try it.

Thanks Mars

Bushie

Posted By: Tomsta
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2006 at 9:24am
Question To get the "stock" all you do is throw the heads, scales and all,  backbones, flaps, a diced onion into a large pot with water and boil furiously for 20 minutes, then strain the juices and this is your stock.... Right??

-------------
Don't Moan about it, Just Do it!

Posted By: bazza
Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 10:51am
Originally posted by Tomsta Tomsta wrote:

Question To get the "stock" all you do is throw the heads, scales and all,  backbones, flaps, a diced onion into a large pot with water and boil furiously for 20 minutes, then strain the juices and this is your stock.... Right??

Not right at all ........ do not boil EVER unless using for garden fertiliser or to attract
flies into a fly trap.

As stated in the "fish heads" threads ..... using cold water bring to a gentle simmer
hold it there for about 5 mins then leave to cool, then strain.

If you wish add fish bits that can be picked to the stock being careful to avoid
including  any scales or bones.

-------------
When you cry, feel pain or sadness, no one notices your sorrow .... BUT
fart just ONE time !!!!!!!!!!!

Posted By: Finatic
Date Posted: 25 May 2011 at 1:21pm
Crikey! This is an old thread!

For the stock it's best not to use oily fish. Also try adding to the pot; a few whole peppercorns, couple of parsley stems, pinch of thyme, bay leaf, clove.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 21 Jun 2020 at 3:11pm
Time to bring this out of the archives...

Trying this tonight, RIP Eric - LethalCry

Didn't have fish stock so using a cup of chicken stock and two cups of seafood soup (packet)

Shelled some mussells, bought some scallops and raw prawns and using frozen dory.

Oh and only one cubed potato and three chopped yams just to add a difference.

Simmering now and holy mackeral the smell, absolutely divine!

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Posted By: skunk
Date Posted: 25 Jun 2020 at 3:00pm
Originally posted by Catchelot Catchelot wrote:

Time to bring this out of the archives...

Trying this tonight, RIP Eric - LethalCry

Didn't have fish stock so using a cup of chicken stock and two cups of seafood soup (packet)

Shelled some mussells, bought some scallops and raw prawns and using frozen dory.

Oh and only one cubed potato and three chopped yams just to add a difference.

Simmering now and holy mackeral the smell, absolutely divine!

yes mate shes a keeper this one.
Been making variations of it since Mars posted it.
Nice work...Clap

-------------
"Team Skunk 10th equal Grunter Hunter 2020"

Posted By: Situasian
Date Posted: 26 Jul 2020 at 7:14pm
Just made this tonight with snapper and was beautiful only problem I faced was with addition of other veges and using eyeometer for measurements I made around 15 servings. Looks like seafood chowder for next few days

Posted By: Apex Predator
Date Posted: 27 Jul 2020 at 1:57pm
You can make you own fish stock.
couple fish frames (excluding guts)
couple onions
couple lemons
few bay leaves
seasoning
put everything in in the biggest pot you have, top up with water, bring to boil and simmer for 1 hr then let cool. Drain off liquid and discard the solids. 

This is much more concentrated than shop bought stock and freezes well.

Also, good idea to cook this outside if you can. 

And for the chowder try using smoked fish instead of fresh

Print Page | Close Window