Rigging Questions

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rigging Questions
    Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:00pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hey guys,

I've been getting a lot of snags and losing a fair amount of sinkers, hooks and swivels.
I recently had an idea to use 3 way swivels to have my sinker run from the bottom ring, hook from the middle ring and tied from the top ring. Is there a way to tie a "softer" knot for the sinker so that if it becomes the reason to get the rig stuck, it will break before anything else that is tied?
I've been using the uni knot for pretty much everything.

Happy for any advice really, cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:12pm
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Just use a lighter breaking strain line to attach the sinker.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:27pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Fish Addict Fish Addict wrote:

Just use a lighter breaking strain line to attach the sinker.

Makes sense. Cheers.

Another question I have is do I need to add mono to the end of my braid main line? A guy I know mentioned adding a meter or so of mono to the end of my braid before putting on a rig.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 6:36pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Another question I have is, would using circle hooks on dropper rigs be a better option than normal J hooks? I feel like if I try to strike with the dropper rig it doesn't hit.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:09pm
Platinum
Platinum

Braid line isn't particularly abrasion resistant so a metre or so of mono above the rig may help if you are fishing on foul ground.  
Circle hooks and don't strike, let the fish hook itself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 7:36pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If this is boat fishing, then a lighter sinker or even no sinker at all in addition to the good advice given above. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Apr 2024 at 10:44pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

If this is boat fishing, then a lighter sinker or even no sinker at all in addition to the good advice given above. 

This would be me fishing off the rocks/beach/wharf/jetty. Can't really afford a boat or a charter trip in this economy Cry

I'm thinking of using circle hooks with a float rig also, or would J hooks and striking be better?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 7:30am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

OK, you can still fish unweighted or with less weight off most land based spots, maybe not beach most of the time though. Float rigs are underutilised in NZ and could be a solution. 

Circle hook or J hook? An endless discussion! With a float rig, you should know when you get a bite straight away, so I'd go J hook, but if you find you are gut hooking undersize fish, I'd switch to a circle hook. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Apr 2024 at 10:12am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Have a look on YouTube to see how European saltwater anglers do float fishing. They are streets ahead of us in this respect. They have to be, not many fish left over there.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 4:32pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for your replies MB.

I tried a bit of float fishing off the wharf at okahu but I stopped because I kept crossing lines with the other fishos.

I've been using a lot of pilchard recently and I have been cutting them into thirds, which leaves me the tail, the head and a chunk of flesh from the middle of the fish.

I've noticed the tails are exceptionally popular with snapper. The heads don't get as much action or just not as much as the fleshy part attached to the head, which my hook is usually not attached to due to the flesh being so soft.. The middle part of the fish is the part I dread baiting up as it is usually so soft and falls apart while putting on the hook or when I'm casting it to a distance.

I have bought some bait elastic which I'm unsure on how to use with circle hooks, but do any of you guys have tips on keeping the middle part of the fish on the hook? Should I try not to let it defrost to the point where it's falling apart? - if so, what would keep it on the hook in the water? Has anyone else noticed the same thing with pilchard tails being great and heads not so great?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 5:51pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Heads - I throw away - or use for burley. Not on my hook.
Bait cotton - just wrap a few times and then end wrap around the shank. Don't put too much on - they don't seem to like it. Just enough to keep it on til they bite.
Pillies are mushy if you re-freeze. Oncers. Just take (or thaw) what you are going to use.
Alan
Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 6:59pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Do you usually cut pillies into thirds or use them whole minus the head? Thanks for the advice, I guess I've been refreezing extra bait a bit too often.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 7:30pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't know why pilchards are NZ's favourite bait. Great fish attractors, but too soft. Blue mackerel has similar attractant properties, but much tougher skin, same with skippies if you want something bigger. Bait elastic helps. I'm a big fan of salted bait. Shop bought is expensive, but for someone like me who uses bait very occasionally, I consider it cost saving. Home salting is an option. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:35pm
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2024 at 9:46pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys, I'm gonna have a watch of that video and try salting up some of whats in the box of pillies I bought Wacko
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 3:28pm
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

As touched on above  pillies are delicate . 
I get them free frozen  and bolt for home  before they get a chance to thaw even a wee bit .  Thaw them slowly ( like not in the sun in the back of the boat on way to ramp )  and then use . Left over pillies are berley as re-freezing them is almost as good as mincing them.
 When I lived Nelson way I used to get whole frozen raw prawns ( big ones ) either cut or snap the body off the tail whilst still frozen  and keep the tails for me and use the body as bait . The snapper seemed to like them 
 I also bought Sanmar  free flow frozen , same deal as the pillies when it comes to refreezing  just not so bad .
 When I used pillies ( or sardines ) if they are a bit dodgy I used a sliding keeper hook  .   A 5 inch  pillie  on a 4 or 5/0  circle main hook  threaded thru the body  twice  then the keeper hook ( 3/0  J hook ) once thru the  tail  and then 1/2 hitch the leader round both the keeper shank and the tail .
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Tonto2 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 3:45pm
Tonto2 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Pilchards are very oily and a great attractant but as above very soft. When there are a lot of small fish around often your bait will be gone in a minute or two. Try a mix of pilly or skipjack tuna for smell and a tough bait like mullet kahawai or squid. What can happen is the small fish nibble away so quickly the bigger and often more cautious fish dont even get a look in. And also the small fish activity can rev the bigger ones up and maybe get them to bite IF you have some bait left.
Dont forget if you choose to fish unweighted baits fresh is great as frozen baits float , unfrozen will sink down naturally. Dont forget to berley.
slowly going where everyone else has already been
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 4:56pm
Platinum
Platinum

Gaz1 - imo pilchards don't make an ideal bait when fishing from the shore.  Firmer / tougher baits are better options.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gaz1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:29pm
Gaz1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for all the advice guys! If I can find some Sanmar, I might try that out. I've been trying out the rig you've mentioned Mc Tool but I think it hasn't been great thanks to how soft the pillies have been. I'll be sure to try it again though.
I'll most likely get a bag of squid for my next fish. Is mixing squid and pilchard in a bag to have the scents together a good idea or not?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 May 2024 at 8:46pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Tonight's homework: research "cock in a sock" LOL
Page  12>