Piper

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote I_caught_a_Paketi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Piper
    Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 6:51pm
I_caught_a_Paketi View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I know they are the most crisp live bait ever!!! but when they are running, as i get good runs quite often, im keen for a feed as well and have heard they are good eating.

What is a good way to cook piper as they are very boney?

Also. I know there is a quota. Im not sure if it effects a one line fisherman  or if its just commercial, can someone fill me in if there is a catch limit, im dont think there is but just to be safe.

As you can see im too lazy to google. But then again i go with my instints and rather ask pro fisherman, if unsure i ask. :)

Cheers.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 6:53pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

put a hole in the tail. bend the beak towards tail, insert beak into tail, fry and eat enjoy  no quota as i know as they just bait to me...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 6:58pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

There is no limit for size or quantity but there is a minimum mesh size for netting them. As BtF says make them into a donut shape and fry. Seasoning and a little flour goes well on them. You really need good sized ones to make eating them worthwhile. These ones are on a full sized dinner plate, they do get bigger but these ones were good.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote I_caught_a_Paketi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 7:05pm
Gold
Gold

Cheers. Must have been the net mesh size or something i remember a couple years ago something about quota.

Yea i been getting some fat big suckers, thats what made me think of the feed side. I know they only small  cmapred to snapper and all, and they  basic bait fish but sure they put out a good taste and feed if i get a few.

Thanks. Cheers. Will stick there beak where the sun dont shine and fry them suckers, i know that sounds mean, but then again, fish only have 5 seconds of memory. What they dont know wont hurt em.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:02pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Hi mate, the bottom pic gives another way of eating them: when you've eaten the meat from the bone, rub a clove of garlic over the backbones and fry it until crispy. Looks about as appetising as barbed wire, but they're great!

You can fillet them too, it's actually not that hard or wasteful. In Aus you can buy them in fish and chip shops, they're usually butterflied with the backbones removed. You just crunch up the small bones. I always seem to get one hair-thin bone that slips between gum and tooth and is an absolute arse to get out, but that's about as bad as it gets.

Here's how I like to hook them for livies:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote I_caught_a_Paketi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:09pm
Gold
Gold

It looks so good on the plate, especially fried and bend in a circle luxury fish and hard to catch, im so surpised its not on tables in world class restaurants. Its got the presentaion and they taste good.

Piper is so underated!!!.

Nice pics. Cheers for your pics and story.

Thats how i ended up hooking them for my livebais in the end pic as they seem to be able to swim and survive more freely. Especially with the bigger hooks until i got told and unstastanable why 9/0 hooks are way too big for piper. But good for kahawhai and big yellowtail.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenzo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:10pm
Kenzo View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Where is the best place in AKL to fish for them with a small hook sabiki setup? ( not using net )
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 8:26pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

I always find places like Campbells Bay, Castor Bay, Murrays Bay and Browns Bay good spots. Just need flat seas and bugger all wind. 
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2012 at 11:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Calm days are good. There used to be a lot around below the harbour bridge. Use burley on the surface to get them feeding.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:15pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

use size 14 or 16 trout hooks and 4k line oh and a float.

as for cooking just like Ahab but put ya thumb up their bum and push out all the gut but before you do that hold them by the head and run them through a cloth this scales them, you may have to do it a couple of times.
as for live bait I do the opposite side to the pic above this allows them to swim away just below the surface  and maybe a couple of metres out, no need for a balloon or float.
And when swiming them in a current they are hooked through the socket in the eyes, if you hook em like suggested they will drown.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 3:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

BA not really drown if you use a hook to the size of the bait. and hook them behind the bum,
you will have your piper swimming till they get chomped.i use piper as live bait on a sliding rig. 300lb main line down to a big snap swivel and then a 150lb sliding trace to the big swivel with a 5 bar hook hooked behind the bum and they go good in the current..if you wanted to you can hook them forward in the beak if fishing in a strong current..and they stay happy as..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:35pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

Originally posted by Kenzo Kenzo wrote:

Where is the best place in AKL to fish for them with a small hook sabiki setup? ( not using net )

The little wharf in Herne Bay is good on a high tide, but it can be crowded with canny old geezers with four or five 5m long piper poles, and then you get kids doing bombs. I had a great horde of them around my berley the one time I tried at Tamaki Wharf, too. Piper, not kids.

I reckon berley is a good place to start, then just about anywhere in Auckland should produce! It's actually quite rare not to see them in most places around the inner Gulf.

Sabikis are not always the best, I prefer a single, fine, tiny trout hook.

Edit B did a great post on catching piper in the Walkabout section a few months back, I'll try to find it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Ahab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:39pm
Ahab View Drop Down
Topic Moderator
Topic Moderator

http://www.fishing.net.nz/asp_forums/how-to-piper-pole-fishing_topic77554.html?KW=Piper

EditB's excellent post.

BTW I crunch up their heads when I eat them. Eating the heads passes on their wisdom and courage.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote I_caught_a_Paketi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:39pm
Gold
Gold

Im going to smoke them. See what they taste like smoked.

Acturally i wouldnt mind smoking all bait fish and testing them all. Even a spotty. Knowone eats spottys but smoked they could acturally be a luxury. Who knows.

Im keen to try smoked:

Piper
Yellowtail
Herring
Spotty

The spotty will be like the trick. I will take it to the pub in peices and people will say " wow, thats some really nice smoked fish', then i will say" yea, its spotty. hahahaha
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:46pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Built_to_fish Built_to_fish wrote:

BA not really drown if you use a hook to the size of the bait. and hook them behind the bum,
you will have your piper swimming till they get chomped.i use piper as live bait on a sliding rig. 300lb main line down to a big snap swivel and then a 150lb sliding trace to the big swivel with a 5 bar hook hooked behind the bum and they go good in the current..if you wanted to you can hook them forward in the beak if fishing in a strong current..and they stay happy as..

Is that a comm technique Sam with 300lb backbone?

I also assume that hooked in the rear they have to swim more actively to breathe and so maybe attract the predators faster as opposed to hooked in the nose and just hanging in the current?
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fish-feeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 4:46pm
fish-feeder View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

im gonna catch some,when the wide buggers off.
Yeah Ahab,sibiki's tend to get real messy when you have a piper thrashing about on a 5 hook setup,they dont last too long.I ran out of bait awhile back fishing kauri point out here and used the end section of my surfcaster and an old trout hook with rooster feathers on it and nailed about 10 or so in half an hour.........they were the only fish we caught that day.Kids liked em(baby marlin they call em),i didnt....with all the scales that are held on with natures superglue its-self,keen to try them again though.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 5:17pm
Titanium
Titanium

catchelot naa just wharf fishing. when you have big king's show up you need to make sure your line don't break, as the pylons are no more than 3 feet away. piper swim freely when they do not have a big hook in there eye ball's but is good in the beak. or just behind there bum, they waggle there tails quite happy.. down the wharf we throw out 10 or 20 meters of 300lb line with a 20oz sinker, then clip on a 150lb trace with a live piper or jack mack, and let it slide down to the swivel and it swims happy in the current..but i must admit piper are tastey lil sod's, essp the big big piper. we have found that most strikes occur on med to small piper, do not know why.. herrings and the bigger ones are good smoked like mullet so are jack mac's bigger the better. spottys  can only but try..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 5:34pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

well all the same I will still hook my piper through the eye socket when in a current it sure works for me when fishing from the boat  and in the top of the bum on the back so to speak when fishing from the rocks and when tossing about and retrieved hooked through the head barb up and a ball point pen spring run down the trace and over the beak so you dont need half hitches over the bill part.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 5:50pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers Ahab for the relinking, saves me the bother but pipers having courage? Wacko They're the  most scaredy, timid, fragile little buggers in the ocean!

As for places for piper, you just need calm conditions and a high tide I've found.
Other easy to access spots are Cornwallis Wharf, Coyle Park (Pt Chev), Black Rock (Milford), Fishermans Ledge (Whangaparoa)

Also, the oilier the fish, the better the smoke Pig
I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Oct 2012 at 5:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

you mean just forward of the eyes, if so yer same here if they alive.   i use ganged hook's with casting piper one bite they hooked no matter where they grab it :)
Page  12>