rusty360 wrote:A question for the manukau experts, who uses braid on big muddy? Is better than plain old nylon? Im keen to give it a go but know zero about it. |
I arrived at the harbour early this morning. The forecast seemed ideal for venturing far and wide under clear skies.
There wasn’t a breeze; the sea was totally calm and still. Fishing’s been pretty slow lately, according to the latest reports. I really tried hard to catch some kahawai and put them to use as livies. I stuck with it for a few hours, but got nowhere.
I spotted loads of birds way off, diving into the churned-up water. I slowly paddled over to where all the action was and caught some fish.
This season, I’m switching things up and going with lures instead of bait, since soft baits have been killing it lately over the last few years.
In the end, got four fat kahawai, though not a snapper around. The water temperature is sitting at 15C. It’s just months away before the snapper show up at the harbour again.
The SW wind was due to arrive around midday, and didn’t want to venture far, so I stayed close to shore.
The incoming tide didn’t make it any easier, but after a good paddle against the tide I anchored beyond the mouth and straylined in the shallows (very shallow), with freshly caught kahawai, and a small piece of old pilchard.
A good feed was caught and I decided to pull the pin at 10:40am before the wind arrived.
The fish measured at 47, 48 and 58cm, and they were incredibly fat! The fillets and the rib cages were very fatty and packed with roe.
I’m looking forward to eating the heads and roe this evening. 

Freshwater season underway. Wow, it’s October already, and our freshwater season is underway, and the... Read More >
Snapper about but not yet firing. It’s certainly nice to see daylight savings upon us... Read More >
Big reds in the shallows. The weather has made getting out on the water challenging... Read More >
Snapper moving in. A few Pacific bluefin are still gracing the weigh stations with last... Read More >
Equinox fishing. Well, the equinox is well and truly a happening thing. In the last... Read More >
Opening is here! The opening of the trout season is upon us and weather conditions... Read More >