'Bite Tackle' hints & tips

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pullyrig Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 'Bite Tackle' hints & tips
    Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 2:12pm
Pullyrig View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

To turn a pully rig into a "bobby float rig":
- unclip the sinker from the genie clip
- Connect your main line to the genie clip where the sinker was
- Clip a float to the swivel that runs up and down the back-bone
- attach a sinker to the clip at the other end where the trace is attached
And there you have it, a pully rig "inverted"

Great for when you need to change tactics in a hurry or you like to be mobile and fish to the conditions.
Hope this helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hunters maintenance Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:09am
Hunters maintenance View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Fishing Waipatiki beach in the Hawkes Bay can be hard at times, head left up the rocks, find flat rock an rig for blue cod, Tip is to use light leader on your hooks theres alot of rocks an i find if i get hooked up the light line on the hook brakes an i still have my sinker as the sinkers are more exspensive than the hooks, good luck an bring in some nice blues, i have an there amazing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:00am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Poor Man's Iki Spike!

I am sure alot of you are like myself - constantly losing the Iki stick!! and given the costs of these at the shop - we all get a bit annoyed when one ends up overboard or rusts out completely and leaves nice marks on the boat! 

Well, here is the quick en easy Iki Spike!!!

1. Grab a screwdriver - preferable not your old mans favorite and one with a decent handle
2. Using a bench grinder or similar - grind off the screw driving end into a nice sharp point
3. Hey Presto - you now have an iki spike!!!

You can also pimp it out by drilling a hole through the handle and threading some chain or cord to make it easy to put around your neck. Top fishing fashion accessory!!!

As allot of these "cheap" screwdrivers are filling up most of your tool boxes - why not make several so they are always handy when the fishing is hot!!! Once they start to rust out - in the bin they go and make another!!! 

By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Zhey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:04am
Zhey View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

A top tip for attracting fish, just split an Omega 3 capsule over your bait, I have had many successes fishing using this method.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JupiterAce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:36am
JupiterAce View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Don't fancy having stinky burley mess on your boat, I have a small boat so use PIG feed (Pig Nuts) from CRT. comes in a 25kg sack for about $30. just load them into your burley container
and let the water slowly break them up, last for ages and creates a great trail. if you are really keen you could throw a little fish oil them.
another bonus is they are dry pellets so they pretty much last forever and don't need freezing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote clean_up Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:07am
clean_up View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When out live baiting, or chasing big fish on your boat, tie off a large float to your anchor line, then when you hook up, just drop the rope over the side, with the float attached. Fight your fish without having to pull up your anchor, just come back to the float later and pull it back in :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Voodoo1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:30am
Voodoo1 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When casting around areas that are populated like city centres etc, Use the following rig it seems to produce well,
Tie your break-out sinker to your mainline via a swivel.
Then attach a 1m trace 60lb to the swivel via another swivel, before you put your hook on put a 25mm piece of green lumo tubing then a pink glow bead and another piece of green lumo tubing with a 5/0 hook and tie a small piece of bait onto the hook the smaller the bait the better.
I was never one for swivels but after being shown this rig and how well it works always good to share with fellow Rock Stars.

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John_Ra Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:21pm
John_Ra View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Don't have a livebait tank....Then try
a 20l bucket with lid.

1. tools, a 10mm piece of steel or drill & 10mm bit, a bit of string & element to heat steel piece.

heat up the end of your steel piece & about 4-5inches from the bottom of your bucket start making holes by pushing the hot end into the bucket. Or if you have a drill use that, just clean up the inside a bit after.
space the holes evenly around the bucket & 3 rows of holes should be enough.
Next make a small hole in the lid & at/near top of bucket so you can tie the lid on. So you don't lose it in the wind or it floats off & more importantly so the fish don't swim awayLOL
Make 2-4 holes in the lid center.

The 4-5 inches you leave at the bottom is so when travelling fish still has water to breatheBig smile
When at your spot put the bucket in the sea on it's side, hence holes in top of lid...
Works for Rocks & wharf fishing too.

cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DJ Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:29pm
DJ Mike View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We use lots of carabiners on the boat. You can get the alloy ones from Bunnings for about $1.70 for a three pack.

Good for attaching the burley pot to the anchor warp. We also have a short loop of rope attached to the boat so you can hook big Kahawai through the chin with a carabiner, clip it on to the rope and let them bleed out in the water. Just don't forget to pull the rope in when you move off.  

Teach your missus to fillet and shuck. Before someone else does...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bazza52 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:58pm
Bazza52 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you buy Terakihi rigs made up you will find lots of them use too heavy a weight of line and aren't set up for best results. Retie them using lighter nylon, I like no more than 20lb and make sure that the bottom hook is sitting on the sinker. I get more bites on lighter line and don't lose any more to 'couta than using heavier stuff. (Lets face it you usually need wire to stop those mongrels). The bottom hook will catch 80% of the fish. Try just two hooks, three means more bait but in my experience not more fish!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bite Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:16pm
bite View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

not much from me this month except , i like bite tackle, u guys make a very  good line of gear , which is great to see ,

ps i do not work for bite tackle  nor any offuation with them in fact i really have no clue who they are , good tackle all the same
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bradenski Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:43pm
bradenski View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I don't know about you, but when I've spent alot of hard earned money on gear I like to look after it.
To stop your tackle (sinkers and hooks etc) banging against your favourite rod when you are moving from spot to spot, use some of the plastic coil that electronic shops sell for bundling cables, and wrap it around the rod just above the eyelet that you clip your hook into. Only costs $2 a metre and you only use 100mm a time. It lasts for ages and you can hardly notice it. Give it a try
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:28pm
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by DJ Mike DJ Mike wrote:

We use lots of carabiners on the boat. You can get the alloy ones from Bunnings for about $1.70 for a three pack.

Good for attaching the burley pot to the anchor warp. We also have a short loop of rope attached to the boat so you can hook big Kahawai through the chin with a carabiner, clip it on to the rope and let them bleed out in the water. Just don't forget to pull the rope in when you move off.  

Did that works a treat, but one small problem.. the bronze whalers like bleeding fish. had 5 kahawai go bye bye in 2 seconds flat at the boat in 10mtrs of water, but it's a great idea never the less
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote dougco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 7:53am
dougco View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Where to tie the burley bag/pot? Tie a loop near the bottom of your anchor rope and attach the burley bag there so it lies just off the bottom. The burley should be lying at the right depth and in front of your boat as you swing around on the tide with the burley drifting through your bait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote StClairSurfcaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 9:28am
StClairSurfcaster View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

When fishing Rapala lures, use the rapala knot to tie your lures on. Results in a far better action and higher hook up rates. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jet_ski_fisher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 9:57am
Jet_ski_fisher View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sharks love burly bags bro, and you can loose an anchor at the rope end if tied off one..as i found out :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alanimal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 10:19am
alanimal View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Pimp out your Sea Anchor

Over the years I have upgraded my boat several times and accumulated several sea anchors. For a while I was using two cone shaped sea anchors for my 7.7M boat. After getting several tangles and spending allot of time retrieving when the fishing gets hot - I thought there must be a better way.

And here it is! This method will make it easy for you to quickly retrieve the sea anchor without having to go to the bow all the time. 

You will need:

1x Sea Anchor - Parachute ones work better than the cone ones, and always buy a size larger than your boat needs
1x Carabiner with swivel or Carabiner + a swivel - make sure they are stainless or they will rust
1x Polystyrene float 
2x Lengths of Rope
1x Carabiner (optional) 

All this you can buy from Burnsco or FCO etc

1. Lets start with the GREEN rope. The length of this combined with the length of the sea anchor should be just long enough that when deployed, the end of the sea anchor would miss your propeller if you forget to pull it in and drive off. It also must be long enough to tie off in the cockpit. Tie this to the bow of your boat - this can be permanent too!

2. Attach the GREEN rope to a swivel using a strong knot, and attach this to a carabiner. If you can find a carabiner with a swivel already attached - then this is perfect. 

3. Cut one of the straps/ropes that the sea anchor attaches too, and insert the polystyrene buoy/float here. Re-tie the strap using a reef knot or similar.

4. Attach the RED rope to the end of the sea anchor - this is the retrieval line. The length of this needs to be 1.5x the length of the GREEN rope. You can attach the optional carabiner to the end of this for easy attachment/detachment from the cockpit.

How it works

When deployed, you will have the green rope attached permanently (optional) to the bow. The retrieval line is attached to the cockpit. The length's of rope used here allow the drogue to swing across to the Port or Starboard. The float prevents the drogue from spiraling about causing tangles which no one has time for when things are hot.

If you need to go from A to B - simply pull in the RED line and away you go.

When the day is over - simply remove the carabiner from the drogue - terminate the GREEN line to the cockpit - and the sea anchor can be stored till next time.

To Deploy again simply re-attach the GREEN rope to the Sea Anchor.

Too Easy!!! 
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote HAPPY VII Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 11:17am
HAPPY VII View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

This may be a bit simple but I use fresh Mullet or Kahawai for bait and I scale these in a bucket of water, simply hold the fish by the head and run the scaler up the fish underwater, that stops the scales going everwhere.
To easy 
Hook em n cook em
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FishStalker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 1:51pm
FishStalker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

If you do rock fishing, remember that most of the fish are feeding in the kelp just under your feet.  If you use mussels for bait and reasonably small hooks you can catch just about anything, including the old shy snapper. (they are suckers for mussels)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Gibbs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 2:21pm
Gibbs View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Chicken feed pellets for burley...$11 for 10kg
No mess.
Comes in pellets, or in powder (mash).
Pellets sink very well, and the mash floats down very slow.
If mixed in a bucket at your fishing spot (rock fishing) you can roll them into giant balls and thorw them out next to your line.
One fish, two fish, red fish, Mako!.
Page  123>