Print Page | Close Window

'Bite Tackle' hints & tips

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Hints,Tips and How To's
Forum Description: Rigs, tackle, baits, angling techniques, tips and hints & your DIY projects here
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=82981
Printed Date: 29 Mar 2024 at 12:09am

Topic: 'Bite Tackle' hints & tips
Posted By: Pullyrig
Subject: 'Bite Tackle' hints & tips
Date Posted: 05 Oct 2012 at 2:12pm
To turn a pully rig into a "bobby float rig":
- unclip the sinker from the genie clip
- Connect your main line to the genie clip where the sinker was
- Clip a float to the swivel that runs up and down the back-bone
- attach a sinker to the clip at the other end where the trace is attached
And there you have it, a pully rig "inverted"

Great for when you need to change tactics in a hurry or you like to be mobile and fish to the conditions.
Hope this helps

Replies:
Posted By: Hunters maintenance
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:09am
Fishing Waipatiki beach in the Hawkes Bay can be hard at times, head left up the rocks, find flat rock an rig for blue cod, Tip is to use light leader on your hooks theres alot of rocks an i find if i get hooked up the light line on the hook brakes an i still have my sinker as the sinkers are more exspensive than the hooks, good luck an bring in some nice blues, i have an there amazing

Posted By: alanimal
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:00am
Poor Man's Iki Spike!

I am sure alot of you are like myself - constantly losing the Iki stick!! and given the costs of these at the shop - we all get a bit annoyed when one ends up overboard or rusts out completely and leaves nice marks on the boat! 

Well, here is the quick en easy Iki Spike!!!

1. Grab a screwdriver - preferable not your old mans favorite and one with a decent handle
2. Using a bench grinder or similar - grind off the screw driving end into a nice sharp point
3. Hey Presto - you now have an iki spike!!!

You can also pimp it out by drilling a hole through the handle and threading some chain or cord to make it easy to put around your neck. Top fishing fashion accessory!!!

As allot of these "cheap" screwdrivers are filling up most of your tool boxes - why not make several so they are always handy when the fishing is hot!!! Once they start to rust out - in the bin they go and make another!!! 

-------------
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.

Posted By: Zhey
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:04am
A top tip for attracting fish, just split an Omega 3 capsule over your bait, I have had many successes fishing using this method.

Posted By: JupiterAce
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 9:36am
Don't fancy having stinky burley mess on your boat, I have a small boat so use PIG feed (Pig Nuts) from CRT. comes in a 25kg sack for about $30. just load them into your burley container
and let the water slowly break them up, last for ages and creates a great trail. if you are really keen you could throw a little fish oil them.
another bonus is they are dry pellets so they pretty much last forever and don't need freezing.

Posted By: clean_up
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:07am
When out live baiting, or chasing big fish on your boat, tie off a large float to your anchor line, then when you hook up, just drop the rope over the side, with the float attached. Fight your fish without having to pull up your anchor, just come back to the float later and pull it back in :)

Posted By: Voodoo1
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 11:30am
When casting around areas that are populated like city centres etc, Use the following rig it seems to produce well,
Tie your break-out sinker to your mainline via a swivel.
Then attach a 1m trace 60lb to the swivel via another swivel, before you put your hook on put a 25mm piece of green lumo tubing then a pink glow bead and another piece of green lumo tubing with a 5/0 hook and tie a small piece of bait onto the hook the smaller the bait the better.
I was never one for swivels but after being shown this rig and how well it works always good to share with fellow Rock Stars.

Cheers

Posted By: John_Ra
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:21pm
Don't have a livebait tank....Then try
a 20l bucket with lid.

1. tools, a 10mm piece of steel or drill & 10mm bit, a bit of string & element to heat steel piece.

heat up the end of your steel piece & about 4-5inches from the bottom of your bucket start making holes by pushing the hot end into the bucket. Or if you have a drill use that, just clean up the inside a bit after.
space the holes evenly around the bucket & 3 rows of holes should be enough.
Next make a small hole in the lid & at/near top of bucket so you can tie the lid on. So you don't lose it in the wind or it floats off & more importantly so the fish don't swim awayLOL
Make 2-4 holes in the lid center.

The 4-5 inches you leave at the bottom is so when travelling fish still has water to breatheBig smile
When at your spot put the bucket in the sea on it's side, hence holes in top of lid...
Works for Rocks & wharf fishing too.

cheers

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Posted By: DJ Mike
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 1:29pm
We use lots of carabiners on the boat. You can get the alloy ones from Bunnings for about $1.70 for a three pack.

Good for attaching the burley pot to the anchor warp. We also have a short loop of rope attached to the boat so you can hook big Kahawai through the chin with a carabiner, clip it on to the rope and let them bleed out in the water. Just don't forget to pull the rope in when you move off.  

-------------
Teach your missus to fillet and shuck. Before someone else does...

Posted By: Bazza52
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 7:58pm

If you buy Terakihi rigs made up you will find lots of them use too heavy a weight of line and aren't set up for best results. Retie them using lighter nylon, I like no more than 20lb and make sure that the bottom hook is sitting on the sinker. I get more bites on lighter line and don't lose any more to 'couta than using heavier stuff. (Lets face it you usually need wire to stop those mongrels). The bottom hook will catch 80% of the fish. Try just two hooks, three means more bait but in my experience not more fish!

Posted By: bite
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:16pm
not much from me this month except , i like bite tackle, u guys make a very  good line of gear , which is great to see ,

ps i do not work for bite tackle  nor any offuation with them in fact i really have no clue who they are , good tackle all the same

Posted By: bradenski
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 8:43pm
I don't know about you, but when I've spent alot of hard earned money on gear I like to look after it.
To stop your tackle (sinkers and hooks etc) banging against your favourite rod when you are moving from spot to spot, use some of the plastic coil that electronic shops sell for bundling cables, and wrap it around the rod just above the eyelet that you clip your hook into. Only costs $2 a metre and you only use 100mm a time. It lasts for ages and you can hardly notice it. Give it a try

Posted By: Jet_ski_fisher
Date Posted: 23 Oct 2012 at 10:28pm
Originally posted by DJ Mike DJ Mike wrote:

We use lots of carabiners on the boat. You can get the alloy ones from Bunnings for about $1.70 for a three pack.

Good for attaching the burley pot to the anchor warp. We also have a short loop of rope attached to the boat so you can hook big Kahawai through the chin with a carabiner, clip it on to the rope and let them bleed out in the water. Just don't forget to pull the rope in when you move off.  

Did that works a treat, but one small problem.. the bronze whalers like bleeding fish. had 5 kahawai go bye bye in 2 seconds flat at the boat in 10mtrs of water, but it's a great idea never the less

Posted By: dougco
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 7:53am
Where to tie the burley bag/pot? Tie a loop near the bottom of your anchor rope and attach the burley bag there so it lies just off the bottom. The burley should be lying at the right depth and in front of your boat as you swing around on the tide with the burley drifting through your bait.

Posted By: StClairSurfcaster
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 9:28am
When fishing Rapala lures, use the rapala knot to tie your lures on. Results in a far better action and higher hook up rates. 

Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 9:57am
sharks love burly bags bro, and you can loose an anchor at the rope end if tied off one..as i found out :)

-------------
MH... Catch measure release...<*))))<

Posted By: alanimal
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 10:19am
Pimp out your Sea Anchor

Over the years I have upgraded my boat several times and accumulated several sea anchors. For a while I was using two cone shaped sea anchors for my 7.7M boat. After getting several tangles and spending allot of time retrieving when the fishing gets hot - I thought there must be a better way.

And here it is! This method will make it easy for you to quickly retrieve the sea anchor without having to go to the bow all the time. 

You will need:

1x Sea Anchor - Parachute ones work better than the cone ones, and always buy a size larger than your boat needs
1x Carabiner with swivel or Carabiner + a swivel - make sure they are stainless or they will rust
1x Polystyrene float 
2x Lengths of Rope
1x Carabiner (optional) 

All this you can buy from Burnsco or FCO etc

1. Lets start with the GREEN rope. The length of this combined with the length of the sea anchor should be just long enough that when deployed, the end of the sea anchor would miss your propeller if you forget to pull it in and drive off. It also must be long enough to tie off in the cockpit. Tie this to the bow of your boat - this can be permanent too!

2. Attach the GREEN rope to a swivel using a strong knot, and attach this to a carabiner. If you can find a carabiner with a swivel already attached - then this is perfect. 

3. Cut one of the straps/ropes that the sea anchor attaches too, and insert the polystyrene buoy/float here. Re-tie the strap using a reef knot or similar.

4. Attach the RED rope to the end of the sea anchor - this is the retrieval line. The length of this needs to be 1.5x the length of the GREEN rope. You can attach the optional carabiner to the end of this for easy attachment/detachment from the cockpit.

How it works

When deployed, you will have the green rope attached permanently (optional) to the bow. The retrieval line is attached to the cockpit. The length's of rope used here allow the drogue to swing across to the Port or Starboard. The float prevents the drogue from spiraling about causing tangles which no one has time for when things are hot.

If you need to go from A to B - simply pull in the RED line and away you go.

When the day is over - simply remove the carabiner from the drogue - terminate the GREEN line to the cockpit - and the sea anchor can be stored till next time.

To Deploy again simply re-attach the GREEN rope to the Sea Anchor.

Too Easy!!! 

-------------
By and large the reporting is factual, but in a few instances I have claimed the right of readjusting the facts to which every angler is entitled.

Posted By: HAPPY VII
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 11:17am
This may be a bit simple but I use fresh Mullet or Kahawai for bait and I scale these in a bucket of water, simply hold the fish by the head and run the scaler up the fish underwater, that stops the scales going everwhere.
To easy 

-------------
Hook em n cook em

Posted By: FishStalker
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 1:51pm
If you do rock fishing, remember that most of the fish are feeding in the kelp just under your feet.  If you use mussels for bait and reasonably small hooks you can catch just about anything, including the old shy snapper. (they are suckers for mussels)

Posted By: Gibbs
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 2:21pm
Chicken feed pellets for burley...$11 for 10kg
No mess.
Comes in pellets, or in powder (mash).
Pellets sink very well, and the mash floats down very slow.
If mixed in a bucket at your fishing spot (rock fishing) you can roll them into giant balls and thorw them out next to your line.

-------------
One fish, two fish, red fish, Mako!.

Posted By: Cbro
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 2:48pm
Above post works well with added fish oil and spooned out of a bucket..less weight to carry an works.

Posted By: Fissure
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 5:53pm
if your 50mm rod holders are too big in diameter for jig rods/softbait rods etc, buy a roll of snow foam for 10 bucks and cut a piece to size and pop it down the rod holder to reduce the diameter. if the rod holder doesn't have a cap, you can buy these really cheaply to keep the snow foam in place-no messy glue needed. this works a treat and stops a lot of rod movement whilst underway.

Posted By: biglou
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:04pm
When using pillies for bait, I put a baby squid opened up and slipped over the pilly like a condom,(clean everything out of the head,)  tread the hook and line thru several times ending in half hitch around the tail, holds the pilly together for longer and also gives the fish a bit more of a smorgasboard to eat.

Posted By: biblical proportion
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:31pm
WHO NEEDS BALLOONS for livebaiting when you can use something more useful. Use a clip on swivel to attach not a balloon but your favourite ring pull can of drink. Pop the top, quench your thirst , but don't fully pull off the ring pull and attach it to your swivel. The can will float upside down with the air trapped inside and also rattle away in the water to attract kingies. I've had 5 kingfish using the same can!

Posted By: Swamp
Date Posted: 04 Dec 2012 at 8:34pm
keep your rigs in good order you dont get much from your bank so ask for money bags.
Great for storing rigs and even have a hole in them to let moisture out.
Just replace as needed at no cost

Posted By: Spillway
Date Posted: 23 Dec 2012 at 3:26am
Make fishing floats you can steer!

http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/BulBob/2inPattern.jpg - BulletBobber Template
Material List:
  1. 1 pine or balsa board - 5” long, 1 1/2” wide and 1/4" thick. The wood grain must run the 5” length.
  2. Elmer’s glue
  3. Gorilla Glue
  4. Water resistant paint and/or sealer.
  5. Small diameter plastic tube (you can use one from a WD40 can)
  6. Round Tooth Picks
Tools:
  1. Coping or Scroll Saw
  2. Electric drill
  3. Drill bit that matched the tube.
  4. Wood file
  5. Sand paper
  6. Small paint brush

Building Steps:
  1. Print and cut out the light blue dotted rectangle after measuring to see if the 2” dimension actually measures 2” long on your print.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/BulBob/2inPattern.jpg

1. Spread a thin layer of Elmer’s glue on one side of the board and apply the pattern.
  2. Cut the 2 pieces with the saw staying just on the outside of the green and red lines.
  3. Check the fit of the interlocking pieces and use a wood file as needed for a smooth sliding fit.
http://i84.photobucket.com/albums/k38/BulBob/build.jpg

1. Drill the hole half way through the red piece before gluing the pieces together.
  2. Drill slowly making sure the angle matches the line on the pattern.
  3. If the hole is centered and looks aligned properly glue the pieces together with Gorilla Glue and finish drilling the hole.
  4. Insert the tube and cut it a little long so it sticks out for now.
  5. Check the buoyancy before painting. It should sit less then half way submerged before painting.
  6. Thread your line thru the tube and use a piece of the tooth pick as wedge to hold it in place on the line after setting the depth you want to fish. They can also be slip rigged using split shot.
  7. Test it and using an 1/8 oz jig or 1/8 oz split shot with hook and bait to see if flips direction when given just a little tug! 
  8. A 1/4” board is good for a 2” long BulletBobber and 1/2" thick board can make a 4” long BulletBobber and 4” long one can handle 1/4 to 3/8 oz lead and many lures.
 Provided by Paul Lieb from www.bulletbobber.com

Posted By: Bite Tackle
Date Posted: 28 Dec 2012 at 7:23am
Congratulations to this worthy winner for the Tackle tip comp. This lucky entry won the BITE Tackle pack last month. See NZ Fishing News November edition. Send those entries in for this months BITE Tackle Tip and be into win a $100 BITE Tackle Pack.

Posted By: H8_4DS
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:39pm
make a burley pot for top water fishing.

use a 6" diameter piece of PVC tube. cap 1 end off and drill holes in the side. Make a bracket for the back of the boat and mount. also could make an optional plunger with screws to mince up any frames from bait you have been using.

I used the aux bracket for mine.

stored for travel..

dropped when stopped..

Drop the bracket down to put deeper in the water..

Couple of shots of the plunger i made, i used a cheap broom handle..

The up and down of the boat keeps everything mixed up, so there is no real need for the plunger. just helps break everything up..

-------------
Formally Known as nvmyvl

Posted By: Blue Asparagus
Date Posted: 02 Jan 2013 at 6:54pm
awesome post that mate like the travel lift idea.

-------------
Ultimate GAME Fishing Adventures. Northland

Posted By: Bite Tackle
Date Posted: 11 Feb 2013 at 2:23pm
What an original tackle tip....congratulations to this months WINNER of this great idea.

Hey you guys out there be in to win $100 BITE Tackle pack next month. Post your tip on this page or visit www.bitefishing.co.nz for more information on entering this competition.

Winning entries will be selected and featured in next months issue of the NZ Fishing News.

Posted By: dougco
Date Posted: 04 Mar 2013 at 11:22am
Don't forget to puncture the burley bag before you chuck it off the end of your boat. And don't forget to tie it into the burley pot or it will float out before you know it has gone

Posted By: WETA
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 8:51am
For the Wife or Girlfriend that doesent like the smelly fishing on her hands.. use disposable rubber gloves. Peel off at end of day and clean handsWink She will love to go fishing with you then... 

-------------
LUCK = Labour Under Correct Knowledge

Posted By: DutchFish
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2013 at 9:45am
I found when using Squid as bait, keep changing the bait regularly as it looses the smell quick! Good luck everyone :) 

Posted By: Breakaway
Date Posted: 29 Mar 2013 at 12:16pm
Not much of a tip, but for what it's worth.

Use a kiddy's floating foam pool noodle and make a few knife slices in the end and presto you have a trace holder ready to go, hooks can be pushed into foam. 

Long or short traces, doesn't matter.  

Best to either make a loop or a swivel at the end for ledger rigs. Worked well when I had a boat.

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 6:01pm
Found a trampoline spring holder, so cut the end off used a file to sharpen it to a point. but not to sharp and hey presto you have a iki spike with a great handle on it...

-------------

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 6:40pm
Originally posted by Jet_ski_fisher Jet_ski_fisher wrote:

Found a trampoline spring holder, so cut the end off used a file to sharpen it to a point. but not to sharp and hey presto you have a iki spike with a great handle on it...

So does a 4 inch nail and pebble aka rock... as does the Burnsco cheapey bait knives.OuchLOL

-------------
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau

Date Posted: 05 Jun 2013 at 7:37pm
True but what looks better in the boat? ;)

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 11:40am
Originally posted by Jet_ski_fisher Jet_ski_fisher wrote:

True but what looks better in the boat? ;)

Fish!

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 11:54am
Fish? what fish none around to catch ;)

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 4:19pm
Look and thou shall find....

-------------

Date Posted: 18 Jun 2013 at 6:19pm
More fish in my goldfish pond than in the bop :) yer naa soon i will be set upon by hordes of kahawai till it warms up again, then they bugger off thank god...i know what place will take a hammering in december :) 

-------------

Posted By: Smelly Buoy
Date Posted: 27 Jan 2014 at 3:23pm
Hi guys, looking for tips on maintenance of terminal tackle and spools. What do folks recommend? Just rinse in tap water or spray with a commercial product, and if the latter, which product?

-------------
Tangled Up In Blue
"Veni, Vidi, Velcro"
I came; I saw; I stuck around.

Posted By: Joker
Date Posted: 25 Feb 2014 at 3:11pm
Using a product called Salt-x (SX50) that has a corrosion preventer as an additive as well as salt killer - seems to work.

Posted By: PE Pete
Date Posted: 31 Mar 2016 at 11:18pm
When lubing my reels I apply some grease to all the external screws. Help protect from corrosion & makes removing the screws much easier at service time.

-------------
Tight lines
PE Pete

Print Page | Close Window