Knots for braid

Page  123 4>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 1 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Knots for braid
    Posted: 01 Jul 2011 at 10:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Post your pics/illustrations/links in this thread for knots suitable for braid.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote 1Daz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Aug 2011 at 7:42pm
1Daz View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My favourite way of joining a Fluro or Mono leader to Braid. (Soft Bait fishing)

Go the Warriors!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote snapazapa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Aug 2011 at 5:09pm
snapazapa View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

PR knot,you need to practice it but once you know it,it easy...

Only difference is with s/bait fishing you can shorten the knot considerably
Live life to the fullest...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Sep 2011 at 7:57pm
DLS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Heavy braid for casting and a quick fix if my PR gets damaged http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ueatfyziKRE&feature=related

For softbaiting, short double bimini or spiders hitch to albright.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NoobZealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 9:32am
NoobZealand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

does any one know where u can get the rope/ braid, that the use at pauls fishing kites that goes over the mono line ?
http://www.fishingkites.co.nz/fishingknots/spectra_fishing_line.html
Winter yields few big fish, summer yields plenty of legals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 6:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Try Pauls fishing kites ....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DAVE_ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Sep 2011 at 7:22pm
DAVE_ View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

This is relatively easy to learn.Good strong knot for joining braid to mono.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cA5zRWvJ_3s

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mole Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Sep 2011 at 9:48am
mole View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

yep go the FG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kinetiknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Oct 2011 at 6:39pm
kinetiknz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I use a lefties loop for leader to softbait.

A five turn surgeon's knot for braid to leader. it's the easiest knot, just 5 grannies in a row. I've never had it come loose. I think I read somewhere that it's highly rated also. I use pretty thin braid, fireline 8lb matched to 20 lb leader, which massively out sizes it, and have never had an issue with the difference, aka doubling the braid. 

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZEeAoKvoKoc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99Wtb7X5V6s&feature=relmfu
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote NoobZealand Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 3:18am
NoobZealand View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

hi, i have just spooled my reel with 20lb 0.18mm sufix pro fuse. the orange stuff. when i reel it in it makes a noise.in time will it cut the guides??
Winter yields few big fish, summer yields plenty of legals.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 7:10am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by NoobZealand NoobZealand wrote:

hi, i have just spooled my reel with 20lb 0.18mm sufix pro fuse. the orange stuff. when i reel it in it makes a noise.in time will it cut the guides??

Not if you have fuji sic guides, straight metal rod guides are not good with braid thoughWink
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 7:56am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Best and easiest knot for braid to clip or hook is the Paloma knot - easy to tie with your eyes closed and very reliable.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Dec 2011 at 10:21am
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FG knot for light braid.

instructions: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a4GCH6i5L2I

and PR knot for heavy jigging and casting.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tipper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jul 2012 at 6:09am
Tipper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mu18iKA2IdQ

FG method for smaller lines, or in a moving boat
Please make sure you have the full 'witty' Plug-In installed on your Internet Browser, or the default 'half-witty' output may affect your profile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gimmesomesnappa! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:13pm
gimmesomesnappa! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How reliable is the albright knot when joining braid to leader? Has anyone had any problems with it when softbaiting?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:38pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Albright is about an 80% strength knot on mono...braid is more fiddly but...
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote gimmesomesnappa! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:43pm
gimmesomesnappa! View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So probably not a knot you would to rely on if you were struck by a horse?. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:44pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gimmesomesnappa! gimmesomesnappa! wrote:

agree, not a knot I use...just saying
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 6:57pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by gimmesomesnappa! gimmesomesnappa! wrote:

no mate Al uses a granny knot.......Embarrassed

try the no name mate but double the braid, I have used it for a very long time now and no regrets
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Aug 2012 at 7:03pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

one thing you have to remember is not all braids are made the same...
some are better with different knots hence the reason we have so many people using different knots and saying this one is better....

you will even note a difference when using nylon trace and a fluro.....

so please write down which brand of braid your tying knots with when posting...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Page  123 4>