Daiwa Sol failure

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jefftaylornz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Daiwa Sol failure
    Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 4:40pm
jefftaylornz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

My brother got a Daiwa Sol during lockdown, must have been really bored. After using about 5 times the shaft broke. Daiwa said salt water damage it's just out of warranty $360 to repair. Has anyone else had similar problems.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 5:06pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yep... brought one for my son a few years back. Beautiful and smooth when brand new.... after 6 months it was impossible the turn the handle .... by the following summer it was in the bin after it had been completely stripped down and unseized for the second time.
Complete rubbish. Don't have any of that bulls-t with my Shimano stradics... one of which is 10 years old and still going like a champ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 8:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have a Stradic. Lovely to use but I wouldn't call it robust.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jefftaylornz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:00pm
Bronze
Bronze

Did Daiwa service free it up for you under warranty. My brother got his from Marine Deals just waiting to see what they are going to do. Daiwa Service centre don't what to do anything unless he pays the $360.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jefftaylornz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:12pm
Bronze
Bronze

The difference is I took my Shimano into Hunting and Fishing in Whangarei they serviced it. It is just like new again, out of warranty no charge not a problem. They said we can see you haven't used it that much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote terrafish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:48pm
terrafish View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I have a TD sol 4000 and 4000II, and they both have never skipped a beat, and they have caught an absolute ****e load of fish
Just like any reel, they like to be cleaned as well as serviced regularly.
Love em and can't fault em, which is strange, as I am staunch on Shimano branding
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 6:58pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Na didn't bother.... I knew there would be some sort of argument if I tried to go down the warranty path. Its like that reel isn't designed to be near salt water. Im not super anal with OTT reel cleaning after each trip... a bit of hot soapy water, quick rinse fresh water.... lite spray with wd 40 when dry. Thats it. My 10 year old stradic has never been serviced .... and it comes out one the boat every single trip ...delt to alot of fish etc.
Not bashing Diawa because I know they make good reels. Just not that one.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DarOv Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 2:26am
DarOv View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by jefftaylornz jefftaylornz wrote:

Did Daiwa service free it up for you under warranty. My brother got his from Marine Deals just waiting to see what they are going to do. Daiwa Service centre don't what to do anything unless he pays the $360.

A very strange guarantee... I will definitely consider whether to buy something from them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jefftaylornz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:02pm
Bronze
Bronze

Do you have any idea why the shaft would break and why it would cost 360 for repair. I thought it would be a stainless shaft so how does that break due to salt water corrosion. I normally pay $60 for a full service. We just wipe the reels down and give it abit of Inox.