Forum Name: Reel Questions!
Forum Description: Reel answers from a reel expert - Steve at Swordfish Marine
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=137128
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 10:16am

Topic: Daiwa Sol failure
Posted By: jefftaylornz
Subject: Daiwa Sol failure
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 4:40pm
My brother got a Daiwa Sol during lockdown, must have been really bored. After using about 5 times the shaft broke. Daiwa said salt water damage it's just out of warranty $360 to repair. Has anyone else had similar problems.

Replies:
Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 5:06pm
Yep... brought one for my son a few years back. Beautiful and smooth when brand new.... after 6 months it was impossible the turn the handle .... by the following summer it was in the bin after it had been completely stripped down and unseized for the second time.
Complete rubbish. Don't have any of that bulls-t with my Shimano stradics... one of which is 10 years old and still going like a champ.

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 8:42pm
I have a Stradic. Lovely to use but I wouldn't call it robust.

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:00pm
Did Daiwa service free it up for you under warranty. My brother got his from Marine Deals just waiting to see what they are going to do. Daiwa Service centre don't what to do anything unless he pays the $360.

Date Posted: 05 Nov 2022 at 10:12pm
The difference is I took my Shimano into Hunting and Fishing in Whangarei they serviced it. It is just like new again, out of warranty no charge not a problem. They said we can see you haven't used it that much.

Posted By: terrafish
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 4:48pm
I have a TD sol 4000 and 4000II, and they both have never skipped a beat, and they have caught an absolute ****e load of fish
Just like any reel, they like to be cleaned as well as serviced regularly.
Love em and can't fault em, which is strange, as I am staunch on Shimano branding

-------------
Part time Devils Advocate, Fulltime procrastinator

Posted By: Schampy
Date Posted: 07 Nov 2022 at 6:58pm
Na didn't bother.... I knew there would be some sort of argument if I tried to go down the warranty path. Its like that reel isn't designed to be near salt water. Im not super anal with OTT reel cleaning after each trip... a bit of hot soapy water, quick rinse fresh water.... lite spray with wd 40 when dry. Thats it. My 10 year old stradic has never been serviced .... and it comes out one the boat every single trip ...delt to alot of fish etc.
Not bashing Diawa because I know they make good reels. Just not that one.

Posted By: DarOv
Date Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 2:26am
Originally posted by jefftaylornz jefftaylornz wrote:

Did Daiwa service free it up for you under warranty. My brother got his from Marine Deals just waiting to see what they are going to do. Daiwa Service centre don't what to do anything unless he pays the $360.

A very strange guarantee... I will definitely consider whether to buy something from them!

Date Posted: 09 Nov 2022 at 7:02pm
Do you have any idea why the shaft would break and why it would cost 360 for repair. I thought it would be a stainless shaft so how does that break due to salt water corrosion. I normally pay $60 for a full service. We just wipe the reels down and give it abit of Inox.

Print Page | Close Window