floor footprint 2003 Mac360 anyone?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: floor footprint 2003 Mac360 anyone?
    Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 2:03pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi there,
I have access to a cnc router and am keen on cutting a floor for my Mac, including hatch, box for fuel tank, some plinth/pedestals for seats, etc. Just wondering if someone has the measurements incl. radii for corners? I'd be keen on a tight fit rather than a hack job, hence the cnc. If not, I'll measure/trace the classic way of course - thought I'd ask first.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Jul 2022 at 9:24pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

consider ed asking the manufacturer?
No disintegrations!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 9:35am
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I made a floor for a Mac 360 a couple of years ago.  It was simple.  A 1220x2440 sheet of 10mm ply is a perfect fit.  Mark the centre line along the inside of the boat as well as the ply and measure from there to create the shape.  You will need to round the corners and taper the edges but the fillets off each corner are straight cuts.  You will also need to cut the shape around the aluminum box that forms part of the outboard bracket.  The floor will finish approx 150mm from the transom but this is good and allows access to the bungs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 12:48pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sweet – I already sent an email to Galloway, see what they say. Thanks for the tip on how to measure best. Makes sense.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 1:08pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I don't know if a 2017 360 is different but mine is 1230mm wde inside.

The floor was in it when I got it. I've since cut it in half by the change of angle so it can be removed without having to take the seats out.

Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 5:33pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

That looks mint - what's the white surface made of? I thought glueing down some gym mats (the cheap ones are black only so may get a tad toasty on a sunny day).
I found these pics on TM so I'd be keen on a similar setup. Took the benches out and will replace with seats. I'd rather have more unobstructed floor area since it's mainly a spearo rock hopper.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 5:34pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

We have a Mac 5.7, I made the template as described above but out of cardboard. You can get big boxes from out the back of Noel Lemmings, bed shops etc. I then used that to make another template from packing sheets (Carters in Tauranga sell them for $10.00-$15.00 but you have to ask for them) as with the angle of the sides sloping away from the floor it changed the meaurements. Then I cut my final version from 18mm ply. I did it with marine ply, which only lasted a few years outside. Then I re-did it again in tanilised ply. So far there has been no reaction with the ali boat bracket or the stainless underfloor tank. It has been about 7 years now and it sits outside permantly. I did varnish it but that was slipperly. I then put rubber matting in, but that is heavy. It is now stained and bare.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 5:39pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Great, thanks for the tips - so much to think about. The matting I'm. planning to add are EVA foam, so weigh next to nothing. Should be right I guess.
I'm planning on giving it a lick of epoxy with lots of attention to the raw edges. Boat is stored indoors and I have a pulley under the rafters for lifting it up a gap and dry out after use.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 6:25pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The floor is 17.5mm tanalized ply. The surface is some sort of textured paint making a grippy surface. Never feels slippery even when wet.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 6:34pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I tried EVA sheets. It was quite slippery when wet and the big sheet warped in the summer sun as I had it lying loose. I did have dark grey and it got quite hot. I have glued them down to the ply in the cabin area and that has worked well. Next I tried the camping mats that clip together (600? X 600?) with the big holes but they were not comfortable for extended periods with bare feet (there are no seats in our boat).
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 7:02pm
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

So you don't think these foam mats are worth it?
https://www.bunnings.co.nz/q-d-cor-610-x-610-x-12mm-interlocking-foam-mat-4-pack_p0035633

What would be a good alternative? I have some marine glue for flooring left, and of course want to keep the weight down and prefer to have it soft under the foot. I tried ordering some faux teak eva flooring from aliexpress, but they can't send it due to their lockdown.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 7:20pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

They will get hot in the sun, but if you're wet from spearing that will be okay. We had a 1200X2400X10mm sheet, that is what warped. The cabin area that is glued down is these and it has been good (and still is about 5 years later). At that price buy a pack and give it a go. If you like it glue them down later. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OneWayTraffic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jul 2022 at 9:27pm
OneWayTraffic View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Marine ply the only way to go if you want it to last forever. But then you'd need to epoxy coat both sides, glass the top with a light glass, seal the edges very very well, and keep it painted to protect the epoxy. Any and all penetrations into the plywood also need epoxy sealing. Ideally screwholes for example should be  overdrilled  and filled with epoxy putty and then the screws drilled into putty.  
Will add a significant amount of cost and labour. But will outlast you if done right. Marine plywood is untreated and will not last in an exterior application if unprotected. The value is in the good bending properties, high quality wood, and lack of voids in the laminations.

If you only want it to last 10-20 years then treated ply would work. You should still seal the edges very well all around and coat both sides to stop checking. Epoxy might not bond to it, depending on moisture content and what treatment has been used. I have however managed to epoxy coat H5 treated wood (boat trailer skids) so it can be done. IF the epoxy bonds well then this will also last as long as you. I have used a roll on bedliner (Nutech BullyLiner - Fisher Group (duraspec.co.nz)) to coat my sole. Seems very tough and was easy to apply. Also waterproof, you might get away with just this on treated ply. 

I'd go for option B myself on that boat. I'd still strongly recommend that you get a small pack of epoxy glue and use it to seal all edge grain and screwholes everywhere. Then a couple of light coats on the surfaces. Epoxy makes an excellent primer and works better than sealant on wood and cheaper too.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 6:54am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeh, given that it has been resurrected after it flipped and washed onto the rocks for a couple of days by hurricane Gita, I don't think I want to spend too much money on the upgrade. I was weighing up between marine and treated ply, but cost difference isn't too dramatic. Also, i tested my epoxy skills on the box housing the fish finder and it has held up perfectly fine - I guess keeping it dry (especially the floor's underside) while not in use will make a big difference.
Thanks so much for all the hints and tips, I never expected such a big response. Keep it coming, please
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:40am
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

If I did it all over again I would go treated ply with stain to help protect it and look pretty. As ours lives in the sun everyday it is now started to look old, but it has been about 8 years since I redid the floor so I'm happy with that. We use our boat; drop weigt belts, dive tanks, wakeboards, stack kids bikes in it for trips etc. It is there to be used, keeping it simple is part of the trick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 10:36am
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you're after cheap easy and effective.
H3 treated Plywood is the go. 16mm might do it but I know 17.5 will definitely. It takes one screw per piece to remove mine which screw into the factory inserts in the centre keel. Easy to hose out blood guts and sand. The sides where the ply will rest aren't on an even plain with the centre keel. So you'll need a couple of packers along the edge to support the floor nice and flat.
Are you in Wellington?
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote e.m.p! Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 11:57am
e.m.p! View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi Kitno, yes – I'm in Wellington. I saw yours is the highside 360, so mine is significant older (last run with the low transom, before they raised it). It does not have inserts in the centre keel and I do not mind packing the sides, actually I wanted to run a small foam strip anyway for dampening and leveling.
So here's my plan – I'm after a 30hp 2 stroke for safety reasons and to expand range (south coast up to cave bay) Currently running a 15hp, so I have to be quite smart on what gear (and whom) I'm taking with me. Coming in at Makara with a swell rolling is a bit of a nail biter so I think 30 horsies will help quite a bit to get out of some tight corners. It will also allow for a tad more weight, but then I have to be smart again due to the low transom (wake hopping on board when stopping). I'm looking at 12mm marine ply and add some joists where needed. Friend and colleague is boatbuilder by trade so he knows the Mac's shape and is confident to be sufficient thickness. Both benches are going and are replaced with fold up seats on pedestals. Occasionally I'll have my squirrely kiddos with me on the harbour, so I need to be able to quickly jump from one end to the other without having to hurl myself over the benches. I can/will be quite precise with the fittings since I have access to a flat bed cnc router (shopbot) and will add trays and drawers wherever I see fit. Should be like flat pack furniture…
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kitno Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 1:17pm
kitno View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yes you will get away with 12mm if you add joists/ribs underneath. It'll reduce the weight aswell. 17.5mm ply isn't light. You'll need the 30hp when loaded and much safer with instant acceleration .
Pretty flash using a cnc machine, a skilly and jigsaw would suffice. Using a couple of self tapper screws to the centre keel will hold it in place nicely.
As for the surface, choices are endless.
Top 10 finish
2024 Grunter Hunter.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 3:52pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Perhaps the 2017 is different.  Mine was a 2005.  I used 10 or 12mm and it was fine.  I also covered it with garage carpet which might explain why it was a perfect fit across the beam.  Also didn't need any packers on the sides - the sides and centre were level.
Mine had 25HP and had plenty of power with 2 pob

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bounty Hunter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 7:27pm
Bounty Hunter View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

some good looking Mac360 setups in this thread!
No disintegrations!
Page  12>