How useful are cameras for Drone Fishing?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kheong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: How useful are cameras for Drone Fishing?
    Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:36am
Kheong View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi,

I am looking at getting a drone for fishing and have come across drones without cameras that are sent out 500/1000 m out to sea to drop the baits AND drones that has a camera that also go out but allows the user to look for schools of fish so that the bait can be dropped in that vicinity.

Talking to the developer of one such fishing system, the reason why the camera is usually removed from the drone fishing package is to reduce the cost and complexity of the whole system and that make sense - it could add over a $1000 to the package.

My question is for the people who have done drone fishing with and without a camera - How useful are real time video cameras for Drone Fishing?

Thank you for your response.

Kheong

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jpfishingnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:20am
jpfishingnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

We have a 720p polarised camera on our drone which delivers a live feed. It's not recording video and at only 720p you wouldn't use it for that. Being polarised though, you can sort of see into the water (provided the glare isn't horrific) which is great for spotting bait or potentially a kayak etc.

I wouldn't say the camera is a must have, but certainly a feature we like. It depends on your budget though. We use a Rippton (you can see more here https://www.ripptonnz.co.nz/product-page/rippton-mobula) which is a the upper end of the market but has great distance/flight time, payload, and very easy to use.

The smart money is probably spending $1,000 on an electric reel if you're flying out 1000m! Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kheong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:09pm
Kheong View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Wow, the Rippiton is huge. Says it has a 15min flight time which seems a bit low for a 10,000mah battery or is that with a MAX payload?

I was checking out either the Condor AEE (no camera) or the Swellpro SD4. Looking for something that is easy to control while flying.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jpfishingnz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:00pm
jpfishingnz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I assume with max payload and the 15 min flight time is quite a bit surprisingly (it moves bloody quickly). We typically get 2 deployments per battery charge to around 600m. I'm sure we could get a third, and/or go further, just haven't risked it as we always carry two batteries.

I can't comment on the others, but the rippton couldn't be easier to fly, but is big if you're planning on deploying miles from the car!

The Condor looks like a good entry level drone and the SD4 a little more fit for purpose
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jack Hammer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:42pm
Jack Hammer View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, I've been drone fishing for the last 4ish years.  My drone has a camera.  Its main use for me is seeing the sinker disappear once I've hit the payload release.  Hope this helps. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:16am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

and none are going to admit using the camera to perve on the girls sunbathing in the dunes?
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fred01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:03pm
fred01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

According to my experience, Here are some key benefits of using a drone with a camera for fishing: Location of schools of fish: With a camera, you can spot schools of fish in real-time and drop your bait directly into that area, increasing your chances of a catch. Underwater view: A drone with a camera provides a unique underwater view that can help you see what's happening beneath the surface. This can be especially useful for fishing in murky water or in areas with a lot of underwater obstacles. Real-time feedback: With a camera, you can see the results of your bait drop in real-time, allowing you to make adjustments to your technique as needed. Increased safety: Using a drone with a camera can increase your safety by allowing you to check for obstacles or other hazards before you drop your bait. As you can read this article https://www.extremefliers.com/best-fpv-drones/ , using a drone with a camera can add extra cost to your setup and may require more technical know-how to operate effectively.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 8:19pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Has anyone have experience with using a drone more to scout areas when fishing from a boat.

I see a lot of YouTube video of drone footage shot from boats but not much about the setup they use.

How affordable are drones for this application?

How tricky is it manage take off and landing from a boat deck?