Print Page | Close Window

How useful are cameras for Drone Fishing?

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Fishing and filming with Drones
Forum Description: A fishing option that's about to take off......
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=135967
Printed Date: 29 Nov 2021 at 4:14pm

Topic: How useful are cameras for Drone Fishing?
Posted By: Kheong
Subject: How useful are cameras for Drone Fishing?
Date Posted: 19 Sep 2021 at 8:36am

Hi,

I am looking at getting a drone for fishing and have come across drones without cameras that are sent out 500/1000 m out to sea to drop the baits AND drones that has a camera that also go out but allows the user to look for schools of fish so that the bait can be dropped in that vicinity.

Talking to the developer of one such fishing system, the reason why the camera is usually removed from the drone fishing package is to reduce the cost and complexity of the whole system and that make sense - it could add over a $1000 to the package.

My question is for the people who have done drone fishing with and without a camera - How useful are real time video cameras for Drone Fishing?

Thank you for your response.

Kheong

Replies:
Posted By: jpfishingnz
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 9:20am

We have a 720p polarised camera on our drone which delivers a live feed. It's not recording video and at only 720p you wouldn't use it for that. Being polarised though, you can sort of see into the water (provided the glare isn't horrific) which is great for spotting bait or potentially a kayak etc.

I wouldn't say the camera is a must have, but certainly a feature we like. It depends on your budget though. We use a Rippton (you can see more here  http://www.ripptonnz.co.nz/product-page/rippton-mobula" rel="nofollow -

The smart money is probably spending $1,000 on an electric reel if you're flying out 1000m! Wink

Posted By: Kheong
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 3:09pm
Wow, the Rippiton is huge. Says it has a 15min flight time which seems a bit low for a 10,000mah battery or is that with a MAX payload?

I was checking out either the Condor AEE (no camera) or the Swellpro SD4. Looking for something that is easy to control while flying.

Posted By: jpfishingnz
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 4:00pm
I assume with max payload and the 15 min flight time is quite a bit surprisingly (it moves bloody quickly). We typically get 2 deployments per battery charge to around 600m. I'm sure we could get a third, and/or go further, just haven't risked it as we always carry two batteries.

I can't comment on the others, but the rippton couldn't be easier to fly, but is big if you're planning on deploying miles from the car!

The Condor looks like a good entry level drone and the SD4 a little more fit for purpose

Posted By: Jack Hammer
Date Posted: 21 Sep 2021 at 8:42pm
Hi, I've been drone fishing for the last 4ish years.  My drone has a camera.  Its main use for me is seeing the sinker disappear once I've hit the payload release.  Hope this helps. 

Posted By: Big -Dave
Date Posted: 22 Sep 2021 at 8:16am
and none are going to admit using the camera to perve on the girls sunbathing in the dunes?

-------------
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...

Print Page | Close Window