Snapper Plan Meetings

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snapper Plan Meetings
    Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:36am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For those that have not heard the Snapper Management Plan is out.

Come and talk to some of the working group and MPI about what is in it and what is not. 

Tomorrow 13 Sept Bucklands Beach Yacht Club. Drop-in when it suits you between 5:00 and 7:30.

Wednesday 14 Sept Takapuna Boat Club  39 The Strand. Drop-in when it suits you between 5:00 and 7:30.

Post your feed back here :)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:58am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have only got half way through the full plan so far and need to do some work so will try to read the rest tonight, BUT there is one staggering statistic in this report that shows exactly what is wrong with our shared fisheries model. 

Recreational catch of snapper in the HG over the past few years has declined by 70% according to our best understanding. So why hasn't the commercial catch been slashed as a result? Surely a 70% decline means that we have a massive issue for a highly valuable part of our local economy. If the commercial catch declined by even 20% there would be mass outcry and mass actions from MPI to slash the recreational harvest, so how does a 70% decline in recreational harvest not justify some immediate actions rather than a drawn out process that will almost inevitably (based on all the past history) end up with further cuts in recreational harvest on the basis that we will get it back later on when the stock rebuilds, but of course we only ever see more and more cuts even though the stock had (no longer though it seems) been rebuilding.
70% reduction is not just a wee blip due to some sort of survey error. 70% means that the recreational sector has been massively denied their share of the fishery rebuild that was the promised result of accepting cut after cut after cut to the catch limits. And it isn't all about population growth either as the catch limit cuts far outweigh the population increase. Bottom line is that the government don't really care about recreational angling because they don't feel any pain when it suffers and they don't have any political allegiance to the sector like they do to the commercial fishing industry.

Will read the rest of the report later on and try to make the Takapuna presentation if I can.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 11:32am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not happy with whats being proposed ...read my Pm and comment on it if you like ..
Foxes and hen houses..

I also understand  that Comms want an increase with the TAC to 12000 tonnes when they get the new PSH nets up and running ( mincers and all ) ....cant say where I got that info from...can say fish farms are closer as well ..

Bait fish (pilchards ) needs to be commercial ban ..

All The SNA1 review is ....A BAND AID it will not fix anything ..watch and see what happens to the poor recs in the near future ..SOLD OUT 

But unless the trawler issue is addressed kiss it all goodbye 

Bunch of bulls running around in a China shop ....

A total sell out 

The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 3:15pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Sure the TAC could go higher when we get to B40.
There will be no change to the TAC until there is a new stock assessment  The most like direction of the first change in the commercial catch is down, to allow the rebuild to happen.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 7:03pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

John - do you know what the scientifically supported Bmsy number is? We were told for years that it was in the low 20% range, but now we are saying that we should target 40%. I have no issue with targeting 40% and always thought that the lower target was stupidity. The question is however, what is the scientifically supported number, as the first thing that is likely to happen if the government try to lower the TACC is the industry will challenge the scientific support for a higher Bmsy. Much like happened when Jim Anderton tried to protect some of the Orange Roughy fishery from collapse (and lost the court case).
As far as the industry is concerned, they don't have a problem. Just keep lowering the rec catch limits as the population grows to constrain the rec catch within the TAC rec allowance and they can go on catching 'their TACC allowance' without a problem. Who in the industry needs 40% Biomass unless the industry is going to be promised huge increases in the TACC as the stock grows??? In fact, 40% biomass will likely put more fish within range of the average angler so not sure why the industry would support that unless there is a lot in it for them.

How I see this going is continual reduction in the rec catch limits, with the government legally obliging themselves to give more TACC to the commercial fishing industry as the Biomass grows. I bet we never see a reduction in the commercial TACC without even further cuts in the rec catch limits or increase in min size etc. On the other hand we will be told that the rec harvest is too high because of the growing population and hence we should have more catch limit cuts. What if we did get to 40% biomass and most rec anglers actually caught a feed instead of coming in empty. The rec harvest might go through the roof and then of course the industry will scream about how they need a bigger share of the pie. Is it really that no one can see where this ends up? Our grand children or their children might be allowed one fish each per day or maybe 10 per year or whatever. Growing the biomass can delay/prevent this happening, but not if the commercial take keeps growing along with the biomass.

Had a chuckle about how the industry is making significant investment in cameras, observers etc as part of their commitment to this process. What they are really saying is that we should be thankful that they are going to (maybe) reduce the amount of illegal fishing practices they carry out and maybe even invest in some new gear that might reduce their waste to the point where it might look something like the low % of waste that MPI have been building into the TACC calculations for years. The fact that they expect us to be thankful for that shows how miserably the government has been regulating the industry and badly flawed our QMS is.

Our real problem is that our QMS is a badly flawed system that might work for the commercial sector when policed hard enough to stop the excesses, but for the general population there is stuff all return from what should be a hugely valuable public asset, and we have to give up the rights of our future generations to catch a feed to satisfy a piece of terribly badly designed legislation that needs massive overhauling instead of a bunch of fiddling around with catch limits etc. In this case we are really fighting a tiny battle in a war that we will always be going to lose unless we change the rules of engagement.

As an aside, I had to laugh at the new SNA7 TACC. Finally do something with the commercial industry to try and let the Blue Cod stocks recover, but don't worry boys you can massacre the snapper population instead now. By the time you have fished that to near extinction we can pretend that the Blue Cod stocks have recovered enough for you to start destroying that fishery again. At some point we either wake up and kick the government hard enough to stop this sort of bahaviour or we just accept that recreational fishing for a feed is not going to be part of our lives in the future.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pjc Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:19pm
pjc View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"Tagit" yee of little faith LOL yep hit the reccs
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Sep 2016 at 8:47pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

13 September
5.00-7.30pm

Bucklands Beach Yacht Club
Ara-tai Drive, Half Moon Bay, Auckland 2012....

See you tomorrow night ???wouldn't it be great to have some  Recreational fishers turn up ??
Ok...there are some things that people should be aware of....

The Fishery is not going to rebuild ..fact..

Its more than just SNAPPER ...

Fishing pressure by Commercial within The HG /and breeding areas  combined with on going habitat destruction ...HAS TO STOP

Band aid approach which will fix nothing  ( this is what they are trying to feed you all ...but

Baitfish not protected ( pilchards etc open field day ) the food supply

Trawlers still doing the same old thing ..I do not have to keep telling you what that is ,shut your eyes and let it continue ,Why ??

Fish Farms ( at least 3 )

The Mini Super trawlers.with PSH Nets >> Being Built now

Don't throw water on this one or rubbish what I have written ....FACT ...also ,Im not going to say how where or why I found out  ,but believe, its true... I will say this is being shoved under your noses and some people you know also know ......

New trawlers with PSH nets with mincers built into the ship...they then claim look how good we are no more floating fish.....

No rebuild just a recs reduction in 3 to 5 years time..

Whos going to turn up ? ...

Don't trust what is being projected by any one sitting in on this ...
This is a snow job ...all the way

How many years have they been saying B40 ?..ask yourself..has fishing over the past 3 years improved or got worse...there is your answer

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 10:40am
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

mowerman, you've been posting a lot about this mincer thing, got any source/further info on it?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Sep 2016 at 1:15pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

hit the nail on the head Tagit,

Rozboon, its has been happening for years, gillnetters have been mincing reef fish & undersized fish for ages,

i watched a Com boat from not more than 50mts away as they pulled their net take 2 undersized Kingfish while still alive and kicking proudly drop them into a minser which i believe was to be sold as burley/fish food as nothing went into the sea,

we can never win this fight until the fishing industries collapse.

all the politicians have at some stage received back handers to turn a blind eye or change legislation, they are all as bad as one another,       

when the facts are pointed out to the Government like More FISH IN THE SEA we could have both, Tourism/Rec plus Commercial working along side each other, you have to look at who is in this for only one thing.

i give up, its a no win for Kiwis,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 3:40am
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Tagit
As usual you are pretty much on the mark with a lot of your concerns.

The B40 target is supported by the MPI Harvest Strategy Standard signed off by the Minister. The MSY in the low 20% comes straight out of the stock assessment model, which by definition is a massive over simplification of reality and uncertainty.  It is international best practice to have targets of B35 or B40.  In almost all NZ deep water fisheries the target is B40 to B50. The reluctance to have these targets inshore is the short term reductions required to rebuild the stock. 

The commercial fishers would only accept the 40% target biomass (B40) if there was a review clause in the Snapper Plan. They will need a change in Govt policy to have have a chance of changing it, but never say never.

No doubt that commercial objectives and recreational requirements are different.  But I wouldn't say incompatible. 

Looking back 15 years or so there has been quite significant changes to govt attitudes to recreational fishing. And there is more change coming.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 7:59am
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Anyone going to the Takapuna meeting tonight and going past Westhaven?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 8:41am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

UPDATE...MPI snapper (SNA1) Management plan

Interesting talk with MPI and Commercial Representatives tonight which lasted over 2 hours.

To be honest the Recreational fishers deserve what they get or dont , I was the only Rec fisher that turned up.
Thumbs down to all the critics

But interesting was a conversation with a Commercial Representative was his thoughts that they should be out of the line Cape Rodney To tip of Coromandel with only longliners inside ( and no increase in their Longline caught fish being allowed for by transfer of quota..

Was pointed out the current regulations created more rec wastage and there should be 1 size for all ( 300mm was the feedback I got )

Crayfish ,scallops were all discussed in a casual but informative manor outside of the venue..Interesting indeed ...
But MPI are to blame for the current shortcomings .

Wastage I informed my thoughts that really they had to address the Commercial wastage as that was the bulk in %. terms and as I guess I assumed Recs at 25% and Commercial 75%
Also some cannot avoid but to catch small fish, they dont have the means to get out where in theory the bigger fish should be so are limited to Fishing in those areas .

Yes as the population increases with more fish being taken by Recreational even as we move to a 50/50 fishery our bag limit will no doubt be down .

MPI well know the public scrutiny and the eyes that watch every movement .It is for us to keep them reminded and work to change .

Pollution is a concern

Just and update...and for anyone that wants to have a go..think twice as you had no input or to even attended 

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Sep 2016 at 10:20am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

http://i.stuff.co.nz/business/industries/84220396/recreational-fishing-facing-further-restrictions-as-fish-stocks-diminish
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2016 at 5:19pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Last drop in Meeting on the Snapper Plan at Whangarei Cruising Club Monday 26 Sept. 5:00 pm to 7:30.   212 Riverside Drive.  
What are the management targets?  How will they be achieved?  How will catch monitoring be improved?  What environmental reporting will there be?  All good quesions to bring along.

Should be a good turn out.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:43am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm planning on going along this evening. I'll admit that I don't know much about fisheries management, but I am concerned about the long term future of the fishery and think rec fishers should be seen taking an interest.

On the other hand, I do wonder if there is any point engaging with MPI. I get the impression that they are going to do whatever the hell they want anyway and lie about it. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 11:21am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If people don't show an interest..by supporting change they deserve what they get

But 9 people turn up total for 2 meetings
..75% of the population live in Tauranga. Auckland in snapper 1 arera..recreational need to show more interest other than the keyboard
The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:38pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Talked to a chap Graham (spelling) at the MPI meeting tonight. A nice enough chap and took on board what we had to say. During one of these discussions the charter boat records came up and they are considering making the current charter boat record digital. I asked if they were thinking about a smartphone app for us rec guys too so we could record catch and he said not at the moment because data wasn’t likely to be honest. We fishermen never lie eh. I suggested that people that would use the app would likely provide quite usable data even if it might take some years to get trends. What do you guys think? 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 8:48pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The People Protest

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote John H Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:08pm
John H View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Doug.  I missed that discussion on reporting.
Some strong points made about inadequate consultation on important management objectives, lack of advertising.
Environmental advocates wanted higher biomass than B40 in shorter time.
Over fishing was still occurring. The plan has not cut in the total catch.
Why not close fishery during spawning. 
Commercial are still convinced that that there are plenty of snapper, having trouble making the snapper quota last. 
Fishers concerned about discarding and lack of action from MPI. Domination of 4 large companies soaking up quota and looking after their own interests.
Some customary fishers see the allowance for customary catch was way too small.
I counted 27 members of the public attending.  Most stayed an hour or more.
Was hoping for more.  Thanks for those that came along.  

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2016 at 10:14pm
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

at least 27 is better than the past 2 meetings .But really a poor turnout consider how important this is to us all .

They know to be careful with any approach forward on this if negative it will bite
The People Protest

Page  12>