1975 16ft Glasscraft cabin boat

Page  123 4>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 1975 16ft Glasscraft cabin boat
    Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:17pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What are your thoughts on these hulls?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:32pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I had a Fleetline Gulf Explorer of that vintage in the 1990's. Ride was OK without being great, but a lot of room for a boat that size. I had a 140hp Merc on it and the transom etc was fine, but the hull developed a couple of minor cracks that I had to repair (no big deal). I suspect that the 140 was too much oomph for that hull. Overall, would have given it an 'average' rating.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:46pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Average works for me. Have been offered one at a price we really can't turn down and I think safety wise it is going to be better for the family than our sea nymph V136.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tagit Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:21pm
Tagit View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check the transom and wave strike zone forward
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tonyg26 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:09pm
Tonyg26 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

im told the older fleetlines made in otara (check the serial tag) are the stronger better ones, from 1983 onwards they were made somewhere else in auckland and were alot thinner in the fibreglass ect and people had problems with cracking transoms ect, so prob not a bad thing its older, check for soft spots by tapping the handle end of a screw driver all over and listen for the dull soft spot thud, 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Also have look at the transom. 

Are the washers under the engine nuts digging in a bit?

Viewed from the top, does the transom curve in where the outboard is?

Either of these could indicate a soft transom.  Repairable, but not a small job.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:15am
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Went ahead and got the hull last weekend. Transom is sound. Have cut up the floor and am going to be busy doing some fibreglass work before getting on the water.
All in all a pretty sound boat and well worth the price paid, hopefully have it in the water around Xmas time if the weather settles itself down.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 3:01pm
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cool.  Lots of those 70's fibreglass hulls were built pretty light, as built for smaller motors.  A  few layer isndie the hull soons stiffens them up.  I had fi-glass regeant that needed that treatment.  The slamming zone (about midway along the hull is worth a check) was where mine was weakest.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:39pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thought a few pics before I start hacking away should be taken to remember the state the boat was in when I first brought it home
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:48pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HAHA oops I see it is upside down.
An hour after getting it home and the floor is out

Parts being made up and test fitted
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Olfart Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 5:14pm
Olfart View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Interesting project Brad - will be watching progress with interest!Clap
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 9:07pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Couple more little bits done this weekend, doing it slowly with a sander rather than grinding as I don't want glass dust everywhere this time round and am using dust extraction to minimise it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote family affair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:44am
family affair View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Isnt dat a glass craft?
mv maui
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 8:45am
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Was told it is a fleetline. Don't know maybe it is something else. Google search glass craft and it does look like it is. Thanks for that
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MikeAqua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 9:51am
MikeAqua View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good to see a bit of DIY giving the old girl a new lease on life.

What's on the to do list?

PS don't forget limber holes through your bulkheads
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 12:30pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The to do list on this one is get it in the water and figure out from there how it needs to be set up.

The main things that stand out is having to walk round the cabin to do the anchor so hat needs to be changed and making up a new console for instruments and steering.

Need to set up a bed inside the cabin for the odd over-nighter.

Am concentrating on the fibreglass work first and want to get the hull, floor and console sorted. Remove the cabin flip the hull and put some paint on. Then get electrics and outboard done.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:12pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Managed to get a little bit done on it again tonight

might be the last bit for the next week though as the brownie points have disappeared
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:38pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another spare hour last night, Did a bit of sanding and have tabbed in one of the stringer panels to the floor.

Another small step forward
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 7:50pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Very slowly getting there with repairs.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brad76 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 8:57pm
Brad76 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Some more progress on the repairs

Page  123 4>