Print Page | Close Window

1975 16ft Glasscraft cabin boat

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: General Forums
Forum Name: The Boat Shed
Forum Description: Discuss all things boating.
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=104203
Printed Date: 19 May 2024 at 2:02am

Topic: 1975 16ft Glasscraft cabin boat
Posted By: Brad76
Subject: 1975 16ft Glasscraft cabin boat
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:17pm
What are your thoughts on these hulls?

Replies:
Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:32pm
I had a Fleetline Gulf Explorer of that vintage in the 1990's. Ride was OK without being great, but a lot of room for a boat that size. I had a 140hp Merc on it and the transom etc was fine, but the hull developed a couple of minor cracks that I had to repair (no big deal). I suspect that the 140 was too much oomph for that hull. Overall, would have given it an 'average' rating.

Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 6:46pm
Average works for me. Have been offered one at a price we really can't turn down and I think safety wise it is going to be better for the family than our sea nymph V136.

Posted By: Tagit
Date Posted: 30 Sep 2014 at 7:21pm
Check the transom and wave strike zone forward

Posted By: Tonyg26
Date Posted: 01 Oct 2014 at 11:09pm
im told the older fleetlines made in otara (check the serial tag) are the stronger better ones, from 1983 onwards they were made somewhere else in auckland and were alot thinner in the fibreglass ect and people had problems with cracking transoms ect, so prob not a bad thing its older, check for soft spots by tapping the handle end of a screw driver all over and listen for the dull soft spot thud, 

Posted By: MikeAqua
Date Posted: 02 Oct 2014 at 9:15am
Also have look at the transom. 

Are the washers under the engine nuts digging in a bit?

Viewed from the top, does the transom curve in where the outboard is?

Either of these could indicate a soft transom.  Repairable, but not a small job.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 10:15am
Went ahead and got the hull last weekend. Transom is sound. Have cut up the floor and am going to be busy doing some fibreglass work before getting on the water.
All in all a pretty sound boat and well worth the price paid, hopefully have it in the water around Xmas time if the weather settles itself down.

Date Posted: 07 Oct 2014 at 3:01pm
Cool.  Lots of those 70's fibreglass hulls were built pretty light, as built for smaller motors.  A  few layer isndie the hull soons stiffens them up.  I had fi-glass regeant that needed that treatment.  The slamming zone (about midway along the hull is worth a check) was where mine was weakest.

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:39pm
Thought a few pics before I start hacking away should be taken to remember the state the boat was in when I first brought it home

Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 3:48pm
HAHA oops I see it is upside down.
An hour after getting it home and the floor is out

Parts being made up and test fitted

Posted By: Olfart
Date Posted: 11 Oct 2014 at 5:14pm
Interesting project Brad - will be watching progress with interest!Clap

-------------
Semper in excreta sumus, solum profundum variat....

Date Posted: 12 Oct 2014 at 9:07pm
Couple more little bits done this weekend, doing it slowly with a sander rather than grinding as I don't want glass dust everywhere this time round and am using dust extraction to minimise it.

Posted By: family affair
Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 7:44am
Isnt dat a glass craft?

-------------
mv maui

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 8:45am
Was told it is a fleetline. Don't know maybe it is something else. Google search glass craft and it does look like it is. Thanks for that

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 9:51am
Good to see a bit of DIY giving the old girl a new lease on life.

What's on the to do list?

PS don't forget limber holes through your bulkheads

Date Posted: 13 Oct 2014 at 12:30pm
The to do list on this one is get it in the water and figure out from there how it needs to be set up.

The main things that stand out is having to walk round the cabin to do the anchor so hat needs to be changed and making up a new console for instruments and steering.

Need to set up a bed inside the cabin for the odd over-nighter.

Am concentrating on the fibreglass work first and want to get the hull, floor and console sorted. Remove the cabin flip the hull and put some paint on. Then get electrics and outboard done.

Date Posted: 14 Oct 2014 at 9:12pm
Managed to get a little bit done on it again tonight

might be the last bit for the next week though as the brownie points have disappeared

Date Posted: 16 Oct 2014 at 3:38pm
Another spare hour last night, Did a bit of sanding and have tabbed in one of the stringer panels to the floor.

Another small step forward

Date Posted: 19 Oct 2014 at 7:50pm
Very slowly getting there with repairs.

Date Posted: 24 Oct 2014 at 8:57pm
Some more progress on the repairs

Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:04pm
I blame it on the power tools. They just sit there saying use me, use me and I just cant resist.

Posted By: Betty Boop
Date Posted: 27 Oct 2014 at 5:37pm
A time consuming project and worthwhile as these were a successful production. I've just rebuilt one and fitted a reco'd v4 115hp Johnny onto my cuzzies boat, replacing the 90hp.Thumbs Up

-------------
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 15 Nov 2014 at 3:09pm
So finally managed to get some more time on the boat today (4hours) and am very close to having the rear underfloor section finished.

Next step is to get a layer of glass on the front stringers where they have been attacked before, get some foam in for safety, then measure up the ply to get the floor back in.

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:17pm
Another step closer to having the mid section finished

Epoxy sealed

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 9:59pm
why did you choose to use epoxy resin to seal it when epoxy is not compatible when lamitating onto the polyester based bearers and hullQuestion

-------------

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:16pm
All of the work has been done in epoxy.
Epoxy will bond to polyester but polyester will not bond to epoxy.
Really don't like polyester and have done previous boats the same way. Epoxy is far superior but does cost more.

I also double and triple checked with the fibreglass suppliers and they assure me that using epoxy is fine.

Posted By: tas-tackle
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:17pm
brad  .. yes...glasscraft 16..  quite wide boat that handles reasonably well on the water.. and in a chop  ...  have seen some powered up with big motors...  my only gripe was the low free board  and the low seating arrangement.. 
 What hp you going to run on it..?????

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:22pm
Will be looking at powering it with a 70 Yamaha. The mate I got it off was running a Johnson 70 and it got along nicely.

Posted By: tas-tackle
Date Posted: 18 Nov 2014 at 10:25pm
yup ideal IMHO good enough for a few peeps and be reasonably economical    ..
pretty sure they used to race these hulls  someone may shed a little more light..

-------------
http://postimage.org/" rel="nofollow">
http://www.tas-tackle.co.nz

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 7:35pm
Finally feeling like its getting somewhere and the daughter is starting to have her input about beds and curtains etc... Great that she is finally seeing this is an upgrade from our other boat.

Got the mid-section floor glued in, its nice and solid.

Date Posted: 21 Nov 2014 at 10:03pm
Originally posted by tas-tackle tas-tackle wrote:

yup ideal IMHO good enough for a few peeps and be reasonably economical    ..
pretty sure they used to race these hulls  someone may shed a little more light..
Yes they were a popular race hull and I recall Calypso successfully racing, with a inline 6cyl. 150hp Merc and new Gibson trim Hydrolic trim tabs.
No cabin with seats against outboard well and a forward mounted water ballest tank under a deck cover.
Colour Red. I dont remember the boats regd.race number.
Mick McColl was owner driver.
My m8 Ross built many during his time with Glasscraft. Thumbs Up

-------------

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 07 Dec 2014 at 8:45pm
Finished my 3 weekends of boatmasters course with a pass, so spent the afternoon on the boat today.

The mid section of floor is tabbed in and has a layer of resin and boat cloth so is now fully sealed bottom, top and edges.

So now that is done I have moved inside the cabin area and taken it back to the bones again. GOD DAmn I am itchy now though. The G/F informed me after I had finished that I still have a new pair of coveralls inside (would have been bloody handy to tell me this before I covered myself in fibreglass dust)

Date Posted: 15 Jan 2015 at 1:14pm
We went for a run yesturday to try ot the v4 115 Johnny.........it goes real good Thumbs UpCensoredyeah

-------------

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 01 Mar 2015 at 2:49pm
ok so been a long time since posting. I took a break from working on this to get some renovations done on the house to keep SWMBO off my case.

Here are some pics of the work done over the past fortnight, the floor is almost back in and now only needs some filling done and a couple of layers of glass and cloth put down before working on the layout for a console, seating and storage.

Before doing the interior though I will be dropping the hull off the trailer and fixing the couple of splits that caused all this work in the first place. Hard to believe that a split as long as your finger would cause this much damage, but that is what happens when someone neglects fixing something so minor over a long period of time.

Date Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:36pm
Some more progress on the boat. Floor is finally finished and now to think about what to do with the layout. The G/F likes the idea of having the cabin on, but with it off there is so much more usable space for fishing if I convert it to a side or centre console

Date Posted: 03 May 2015 at 12:53pm
I know the design well and appreciate your comments however due to the low freeboard I tend to side with your g/f.
It's a capable hull but I'd leave the cabin on for sea worthyness.
Fishing really needs sides to be thigh height to enable you to fish comfortably.

-------------

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount

Date Posted: 19 Jan 2016 at 11:30pm
So it has been a while but finally got time to spend on the hull and am close to having it done. just need to flip the hull and do the bottom, finish the cabin and then put all together and fit seats, outboard etc
The girls won on the colour choice, after I made 6 different samples at work for them to choose from, Unfortunately the photos dont show the colour for what it really looks like, but I am glad I let the girls choose because it does suit the boat.
In certain lights it is a deep maroon, but when the sun hits it the vibrance pearls stand out and it starts to sparkle and changes the colour dramatically.
Am looking forward to getting the last bit of white on the bottom and transom now.

Posted By: notalloyit
Date Posted: 20 Jan 2016 at 3:43pm
From memory of selling boats years ago, they were prone to flexing in the middle of the hull near the uprights for the cabin, stringers along hull and up inside underneath deck help.
well done you will enjoy it after all the grief.

-------------
BNS Design & Print LTD 0800 733 000   for all printing needs, special rates for website members. Free freight NZ wide.

Date Posted: 01 Feb 2016 at 1:21pm
One more step closer. Waiting on screens now which I am hoping are ready this week so the cabin can be worked on.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:05pm
Its taken soooo long to do this on a limited budget and having little amounts of free time, but the end is so close now.
Have made the brackets to close off the screen gaps and am now making up the console for steering and gauges etc. 
It should be ready just in time for winter Wacko

Posted By: huggies461
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2018 at 5:30pm
Brad I just read this post. Real interesting as I am doing the same project? What did the seating end up looking like? Did you make your own? I am just trying to work out the best idea and layout..

Posted By: christopher
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 7:11am
Hey Mate,

What a fabulous build and woderful report.

I have just recently procured for myself a 1975ish glasscraft, that needs a little bit more than a little bit of TLC.

Have you got any build pics for the interior?  Im trying to sort my layout and need some ideas.

Or if anyone has any information about Glasscraft in general,  I'd love to hear it.

I ran into a previous owner of the boat from Tauranga while getting the boat home after putting it back on the trailer after an errant wheel took off the wrong way round the Windermere round-a-bout and nowI'm interested in trying to track down some history..

Cheers
Christopher
-Tauranga

Posted By: Pcj
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:47am
I have one and the only thing I don't like is walking around the narrow side deck to drop anchor.anchir lives in the cockpit well under floor.mad rush drop anchor and go forward with warp in hand.otherwise no complaints think there is photos in the thread what I brought today.

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 11:50am
You haven't drilled in to the bouyancy tanks??mine has 2 bungs that drain in to the cockpit well

-------------
"Times up"

Posted By: Malcolm in the Middle
Date Posted: 29 Sep 2022 at 3:53pm
It is a Glasscraft 16.

I used to know someone with one. They would go out in all weathers and give the thing a real hammering. Must have been a strong beast as it survived.

Rather a low boat though, so a consideration if intending to use in areas with wind v tide steep chop or bar crossings.

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 1:07pm

TRANSFORMATION UNDERWAY

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 1:08pm

-------------
"Times up"

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 6:44pm
Looking good Paul

Date Posted: 15 Jun 2023 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Looking good Paul
Thanks Kerry,be ashame to scratvh it,hopefully 2nd coat saturday,roll and tip

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 22 Jun 2023 at 6:39pm
Everything has come to a stand stlil,rain and more rain Might take off trailer Saturday,at least can wet sand bottom

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 3:22pm
off the trailer,now what??

-------------
"Times up"

Posted By: Kandrew
Date Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 3:27pm
Paint the front half move the props forward and paint the back half.

Date Posted: 24 Jun 2023 at 3:37pm
Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

Paint the front half move the props forward and paint the back half.
Thanks,was wondering how I was going to do it.  Can you please stop the rain!!

Have though of putting up her gazebo, but that got the stern look on suggestion.

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 9:57am
After 3 weeks of rain, took a gamble this morning with first coat.
Plan to leave 3 days to hard then 2nd coat,leave 7 days then move blocks. Hopefully back on trailer mid August.

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 15 Jul 2023 at 9:58am

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 29 Jul 2023 at 1:37pm
Finally finished.Back on trailer Sunday,just doing some trailer maintaince,grease bearings swap out wire for rope. Friday name should be on.Now thats caused a slight problem.According to ancient mariners need to sacrafice a virgin.Changed name from ignored to "ONE MORE" Think I can over come this by opening a new bottle of Merlot?? When finance allows will be replacing screen.

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 8:35am

-------------
"Times up"

Posted By: lawabidingpoacher
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 1:21pm
Looking good ! Great to see someone getting on with a project ... I've got 1 Pontiac completely stripped down , 1 Navara 4x4 half back together and a wooden sea flite boat almost done and with bugger all time for either !

Posted By: smudge
Date Posted: 30 Jul 2023 at 2:09pm
That looks good Paul. All you to do now is buy Kevin's Jaguar seat and it will be very styley

-------------
Best gurnard fisherman in my street

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 12:05pm

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 24 Aug 2023 at 12:23pm
If anyone is interested the signs came from http://www.doozi.co.nz " rel="nofollow - www.doozi.co.nz  ;  Brent 021877016
Based in Whatawhata cost $90 for 2

He sends through some designs and you choose ,easy as.

Went to speedy $115 set up/design $115 to make

-------------
"Times up"

Date Posted: 27 Aug 2023 at 8:25am
took boat/trailer to work and used our scales,not as heavy as I thought 990kg

-------------
"Times up"

Print Page | Close Window