Fish stolen

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote letsgetem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 11:57am
letsgetem View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I got sick of the same old things being argued about here. Some people don't seem to be able to bow out gracefully. But, I for one want any threads about abuse of our fishery, to be in the briny bar - as I think its one of the most important if not the most important things.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:15pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Seasider Seasider wrote:

[...
How can this guy still be opperating??Angry
You are in New Zealand. Land of the long soft cloud.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote southernwanderer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 12:40pm
southernwanderer View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Is it just me or do those fines look pathetically small? My god, truckies get more than that for fudge'n their log books! Yes that's a safety issue but its done to deter drivers for driving themselves to death. There needs to be some serious questions asked if that's all you get for outright theft! But hey if the worse you can get for catching 50x the recreational limit is 350hrs p.d. Then i guess in this case the fines "appropriate with regards to previous sentencing" an therefore can't be appealed for being to excessive or unfair to the perpartrator, sometimes our judicial system is a joke!!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 1:31pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

high time they though the book at this family for sure, yes i hope he has his boats confiscated and he should end up in bloody jail for a spell, plus have his license to sell or ever be involved in the fishing industry ever again..
he certainly has a track record of ripping the system off yet the warnings and fines have never stopped him from reoffending...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Derek F Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:37pm
Derek F View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Lethal Lethal wrote:

high time they though the book at this family for sure, yes i hope he has his boats confiscated and he should end up in bloody jail for a spell, plus have his license to sell or ever be involved in the fishing industry ever again..
he certainly has a track record of ripping the system off yet the warnings and fines have never stopped him from reoffending...

And that is only because the fines are small compared to what he steals!
And the trouble is, if you don't risk anything, you risk even more...Erica Jong
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 3:59pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by v8-coupe v8-coupe wrote:

Originally posted by Seasider Seasider wrote:

[...
How can this guy still be opperating??Angry
You are in New Zealand. Land of the long soft cloud.

Simple, you simply reply " It's my lively hood and family income, How will we eat?" 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kingfishers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 5:26pm
kingfishers View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Alleged illegal fish export business hooked
MARTY SHARPE

Dozens of fisheries compliance officers have this morning swooped on boats and offices around the country in connection with a Hawke's Bay enterprise alleged to have exported fish in an illegal manner designed to deliberately side-step quota limits.

The focus of the swoop was a family-based fishing entity run by the D'Esposito brothers, Nino (Antonino) and Joe (Giancarlo).

This morning 88 Ministry of Primary Industries compliance officers and investigators and New Zealand Police visited sites in the greater Hawke's Bay area, Wellington, Tauranga, Gisborne, Chatham Islands and Christchurch.

The brothers run Hawke's Bay Seafoods, a "vertically integrated" company that holds quotas, exports and imports seafood, and operates vessels, seafood processors, wholesalers and retailers.

The company, based in Ahuriri, Napier, is a major player and was chosen as a site visit by economic development minister Steven Joyce earlier this month when he announced a $200 million regional development fund.

This morning's operation was undertaken by MPI to secure evidence in what the Ministry's director of compliance, Dean Baigent, says was the largest investigation of its kind in many years.

The investigation involves staff from MPI, Customs, Police, Immigration and Ministry of Business Innovation and Employment.

"The investigation involves activity throughout the commercial supply chain - catching, landing, processing and exporting," Baigent said.

He said inquiries indicated large discrepancies between the company's catch records and export documents, with more fish being exported than was being reported as caught.

Export documents showed the company had exported substantial quantities of fresh chilled product over an 18-month period, while catch records show the company has landed considerably less, he said.

The misreported figure was expected to grow with the inclusion of domestic sales that had occurred over the period in question, he said.

"This looks like an example of a company side-stepping the regulations that ensure the sustainability of our fisheries in a very deliberate and calculated manner. This type of behaviour undermines the Quota Management System, puts the fishery at risk and makes it more difficult for legitimate fishers to get their legitimate catch."

The Dominion Post
"My mind has gone fishing, ask all questions tomorrow"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 6:04pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Why is it that none of the media articles say that the alleged offenders have prior convictions and even spent time in prison for similar offences.

Just shows how poor our journalists are at reporting on a story. 1 minute on Google is all it would have taken.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Sep 2014 at 6:28pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

your onto it Apex Predator,
and when they go to court old convictions are not mentioned either, system suck big time...
this is another reason we had to take a cut in my book but that is another story,
18mths before they could pull the plug makes you wounder just how fast the system works...
Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 12:35am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

another update,

Property, cash seized in fishing raids...

http://www.radionz.co.nz/news/regional/255478/property,-cash-seized-in-fishing-raids

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mowerman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 5:02am
mowerman View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The proceeds of crimes act will fix them...They are guilty automatically with this and have to prove their innocence...Which one would imagine will be difficult to do ...Boats,all propertys,cars.bank accounts now all in the hands of the police/courts..
The People Protest

Actions Speak Louder Than Words    
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Rob Optimist Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 4:27pm
Rob Optimist View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

These guys should never be involved in any form of fishing business for the rest of their lives.
Why has it taken so long?
               "attitude is everything"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Apex Predator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 5:44pm
Apex Predator View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

So this pissed me off so much that I emailed the Radiolive reporter this morning and asked why he had only written half the story and not highlighted the history of these maggots.

Well to his credit the reporter got back to me and said he was aware and was working on the bigger story. I might even be a part of this now but regardless, I have given him the local contacts and hope it comes off.

Speaking of the locals I have spoken to a few today and there is some serious momentum building that I hope doesn't fizzle out.

Must admit it felt better do do something rather than just talk about it.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Clutch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 5:51pm
Clutch View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Apex Predator Apex Predator wrote:

So this pissed me off so much that I emailed the Radiolive reporter this morning and asked why he had only written half the story and not highlighted the history of these maggots.

Well to his credit the reporter got back to me and said he was aware and was working on the bigger story. I might even be a part of this now but regardless, I have given him the local contacts and hope it comes off.

Speaking of the locals I have spoken to a few today and there is some serious momentum building that I hope doesn't fizzle out.

Must admit it felt better do do something rather than just talk about it.

Well done AP
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Sep 2014 at 9:36pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

Good on you Kevin,
yes it is high time this crap was seriously dealt to its gone too far too many times,
the system is being totally abused and certainly needs to sorting more quickly than 18mths...
if these guys are aloud to keep their Quota and are still able to operate after this, then we are wasting our time even thinking our fishery will ever get better....  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 3:59am
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

if anyone feels like having your say about this crowd leave your comments at the bottom of this link,
it also allows you to slap it up on Face Book to show your mates/friends/family and then let them have a say to...
give em hell, let the rest of NZ know how you feel about someone ripping off yours and your kids heritage so they can line their own pockets...

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/hawkes-bay-today/news/article.cfm?c_id=1503462&objectid=11331896
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Tex Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2014 at 10:15pm
Tex View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Done
Page  <12