50w for 8kg

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 50w for 8kg
    Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:46pm
Bill Bound View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am in the process of putting a 8kg setup together for marlin, and just need a reel to put it on

already have a spare penn 50w and wounder if i could pack the bottom half of the spool with another line class and tie it off , and then spool with 8kg?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:17pm
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you are fishing for line class records , the heavier line class will be the one that applies . Therefore if you back the reel with 24kg and topshot with 8kg , you will effectively be fishing 24kg line class.
If just for practical reasons no problem.

Also the drag cam of your 50 size reel is generally more suited to 24kg , I am sure someone else can explain better . Something like the increments of adjustment will be too course for the lighter line class.
However the drag cam spec can probably be changed to suit . Someone like sworfishsteve would be able to confirm this.
I would think a slightly smaller reel suited to 8kg would be better , much nicer than hanging onto a big reel when you don't need to.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:06pm
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

get a tiagra16 - mean as little reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:28pm
Bronze
Bronze

Wasnt going to connect it with the 24kg backing ,so would still be igfa legal?

See what you mean by the drag increments . My main reason was not wanting to have to buy a reel for every line class for every species... i guess thats how it goes with line weight fishing aye.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:49pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Bill Bound Bill Bound wrote:

Wasnt going to connect it with the 24kg backing ,so would still be igfa legal?

See what you mean by the drag increments . My main reason was not wanting to have to buy a reel for every line class for every species... i guess thats how it goes with line weight fishing aye.

Correct....IGFA legal if not connected to backing
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote corokid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 12:31am
corokid View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Ahhh , my apologies , as Kaveman said. I misunderstood the tie off bit. 

Well if you don't want another reel , who are we to tell you get another. Slap your 8kg on it and suck it and see. You may be able to fit different drag cams to suit. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:23am
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not wanting to spend your money here, and do believe in using what you have.
My thoughts are around the package. So light rod and reel set up.
There are some vary reliable older styles of lever reels such as the tld series, bloody good reels really.
It occurs to me that you do need to have a rod even with that penn that will work that lighter line softly, no use putting it on a heavy stick or you increase the chance of a line break. The rod is a cushion here.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:28am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Bill Bound Bill Bound wrote:

I am in the process of putting a 8kg setup together for marlin, and just need a reel to put it on

already have a spare penn 50w and wounder if i could pack the bottom half of the spool with another line class and tie it off , and then spool with 8kg?

Duel reels have a drag system that has removable springs to lower or raise the drag settings, very easily.

I read that some light tackle anglers use TLD50s - much better at line retrieval than a small reel.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Adam Scott Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:00am
Adam Scott View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Too much weight/inertia in a 50w for 8. By that I mean the initial force to get the heavy spool turning is too much.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:34am
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A two speed TLD20 Shimano is my go to for 10kg, takes 700m of mono, new carbontex drag on a Berkley Gorilla 15kg rollered rod.

Beaut silky smooth fun would suit 8kg also.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MATTOO Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:20pm
MATTOO View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That sounds like a nice set up Catchelot.
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 5:16pm
Bronze
Bronze

Have a 8-10kg rod sorted for the job. Perhaps i should hunt around for a tld30 , would it be ok. Then i can have a bit of leway for other line classes other than 8.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 5:36pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

That sounds like a nice set up Catchelot.

My goal is a Stripey on it Matt, Alberts are fun but need to take the fun factor up a notch.

Yeah was a Berkely Gorilla that got rebuilt with lovely wee Alp guides. 

...and BillB TLD30 would be more than enought for 8Kg but up to 15-24kg then great for medium tackle and quarry.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 12:40pm
Bronze
Bronze

So how many meters of 8kg moimoi would i fit on a tld20?

And why is it acceptable to have 700m of light tackle when we have 1000m of 37kg?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 12:46pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you get 700m of 8kg out its more than likely going to snap with the water pressure

TLD 20's and 30s are great reels for light tackle. Single speed 25s are not as nice.

small lever drag tyros reels are also very very popular light tackle reels
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 1:01pm
Bronze
Bronze

cheers mozz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:35pm
Bronze
Bronze

I taķe it you are talking about a single speed tld20 or is there a 2 speed?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 3:03pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Bill Bound there are TLD20 and 30 2 speeds. I had a TLD20 2 speed I used for YFT on 10kg line, great reel, amazingly smooth drags. You would get at least 750m of 8kg line on a TLD20 2 speed. I also agree with Mozz that the tyrnos reels are very good, I have a Tyrnos 20 2speed I use for chasing bluenose/bass etc spooled with 80 braid and its drag is very smooth.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Bill Bound Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 3:53pm
Bronze
Bronze

Ok. Is 2 speed actually a must? I wouldve thought it would be less of a worry with lighter line classes
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marligator Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 5:38pm
Marligator View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

If you have a fish down really deep it will help as a lot of these small 2 speed reels have a very fast high gear, and when lifting fish up from down deep you are often only gaining inches at a time and that is where low gear is really good.
Page  12>