Print Page | Close Window

50w for 8kg

Printed From: The Fishing Website
Category: Saltwater Fishing
Forum Name: Light Tackle
Forum Description: Skinny string discussion here....
URL: https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=116764
Printed Date: 19 Apr 2024 at 11:26am

Topic: 50w for 8kg
Posted By: Bill Bound
Subject: 50w for 8kg
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 6:46pm
I am in the process of putting a 8kg setup together for marlin, and just need a reel to put it on

already have a spare penn 50w and wounder if i could pack the bottom half of the spool with another line class and tie it off , and then spool with 8kg?

Replies:
Posted By: corokid
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 7:17pm
If you are fishing for line class records , the heavier line class will be the one that applies . Therefore if you back the reel with 24kg and topshot with 8kg , you will effectively be fishing 24kg line class.
If just for practical reasons no problem.

Also the drag cam of your 50 size reel is generally more suited to 24kg , I am sure someone else can explain better . Something like the increments of adjustment will be too course for the lighter line class.
However the drag cam spec can probably be changed to suit . Someone like sworfishsteve would be able to confirm this.
I would think a slightly smaller reel suited to 8kg would be better , much nicer than hanging onto a big reel when you don't need to.

Posted By: carlostairua
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:06pm
get a tiagra16 - mean as little reels

Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 8:28pm
Wasnt going to connect it with the 24kg backing ,so would still be igfa legal?

See what you mean by the drag increments . My main reason was not wanting to have to buy a reel for every line class for every species... i guess thats how it goes with line weight fishing aye.

Posted By: kaveman
Date Posted: 24 Mar 2016 at 9:49pm
Originally posted by Bill Bound Bill Bound wrote:

Wasnt going to connect it with the 24kg backing ,so would still be igfa legal?

See what you mean by the drag increments . My main reason was not wanting to have to buy a reel for every line class for every species... i guess thats how it goes with line weight fishing aye.

Correct....IGFA legal if not connected to backing

-------------
www.kavemantackle.co.nz

Posted By: corokid
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 12:31am
Ahhh , my apologies , as Kaveman said. I misunderstood the tie off bit. 

Well if you don't want another reel , who are we to tell you get another. Slap your 8kg on it and suck it and see. You may be able to fit different drag cams to suit. 

Posted By: MATTOO
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:23am
Not wanting to spend your money here, and do believe in using what you have.
My thoughts are around the package. So light rod and reel set up.
There are some vary reliable older styles of lever reels such as the tld series, bloody good reels really.
It occurs to me that you do need to have a rod even with that penn that will work that lighter line softly, no use putting it on a heavy stick or you increase the chance of a line break. The rod is a cushion here.

-------------
Just cruising in my now sweetas pimped out Southern 755 HT0!

Posted By: Fishb8
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 8:28am
Originally posted by Bill Bound Bill Bound wrote:

I am in the process of putting a 8kg setup together for marlin, and just need a reel to put it on

already have a spare penn 50w and wounder if i could pack the bottom half of the spool with another line class and tie it off , and then spool with 8kg?

Duel reels have a drag system that has removable springs to lower or raise the drag settings, very easily.

I read that some light tackle anglers use TLD50s - much better at line retrieval than a small reel.

-------------
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken

Posted By: Adam Scott
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 10:00am
Too much weight/inertia in a 50w for 8. By that I mean the initial force to get the heavy spool turning is too much.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 11:34am
A two speed TLD20 Shimano is my go to for 10kg, takes 700m of mono, new carbontex drag on a Berkley Gorilla 15kg rollered rod.

Beaut silky smooth fun would suit 8kg also.

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 4:20pm
That sounds like a nice set up Catchelot.

-------------

Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 5:16pm
Have a 8-10kg rod sorted for the job. Perhaps i should hunt around for a tld30 , would it be ok. Then i can have a bit of leway for other line classes other than 8.

Posted By: Catchelot
Date Posted: 25 Mar 2016 at 5:36pm
Originally posted by MATTOO MATTOO wrote:

That sounds like a nice set up Catchelot.

My goal is a Stripey on it Matt, Alberts are fun but need to take the fun factor up a notch.

Yeah was a Berkely Gorilla that got rebuilt with lovely wee Alp guides. 

...and BillB TLD30 would be more than enought for 8Kg but up to 15-24kg then great for medium tackle and quarry.

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 12:40pm
So how many meters of 8kg moimoi would i fit on a tld20?

And why is it acceptable to have 700m of light tackle when we have 1000m of 37kg?

Posted By: mozz
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 12:46pm
If you get 700m of 8kg out its more than likely going to snap with the water pressure

TLD 20's and 30s are great reels for light tackle. Single speed 25s are not as nice.

small lever drag tyros reels are also very very popular light tackle reels

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 1:01pm
cheers mozz

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 2:35pm
I taķe it you are talking about a single speed tld20 or is there a 2 speed?

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 3:03pm
Bill Bound there are TLD20 and 30 2 speeds. I had a TLD20 2 speed I used for YFT on 10kg line, great reel, amazingly smooth drags. You would get at least 750m of 8kg line on a TLD20 2 speed. I also agree with Mozz that the tyrnos reels are very good, I have a Tyrnos 20 2speed I use for chasing bluenose/bass etc spooled with 80 braid and its drag is very smooth.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 3:53pm
Ok. Is 2 speed actually a must? I wouldve thought it would be less of a worry with lighter line classes

Posted By: Marligator
Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 5:38pm
If you have a fish down really deep it will help as a lot of these small 2 speed reels have a very fast high gear, and when lifting fish up from down deep you are often only gaining inches at a time and that is where low gear is really good.

-------------
http://www.legasea.co.nz" rel="nofollow">

Date Posted: 26 Mar 2016 at 6:28pm
And high gear comes into itself when the fish runs at you.
Two speed gives you an advantage. It's a tool.
That's why tas is such an issue, as getting the right gear for all situations is either a compromise or a tackle shop on the boat.
I'm still doing both.
Working on rationalisation, but it's a *****.

-------------

Posted By: Bigfishbob
Date Posted: 28 Mar 2016 at 9:49pm
OK if a spare 50W is what you have then use it, end of story. If you build unp the spool, then tape wrap some tape over the "backing" line(I know you're not joining it to the 8k, but what else are you gonna call it?) The do a couple of wraps off your 8kg then tie it off.

The trick is that you're using just under 3kg of drag at Strike, it might be difficult for the 50W drag to work properly at that light a level. But try it with the line you have on there. 

Despite what others have said, the mass of the spool does contribute to inertia, but no more than the inertia (resistance to acceleration) of the drag itself. The inertia of the drag itself is why you could be onto a winner. The larger the spool diameter helps to smooth drag inertia, minimising any bumps and lumps you might still have. Hope that makes sense, hard to explain why. 

I've heard of guys and gals fishing 1 and 2kg using tld 25s and such for similar reasons.

-------------
www.waikatosportfishing.co.nz

Print Page | Close Window