Did you know there are now over 100 KFC outlets in New Zealand? Some are literally only minutes away from each other. Although tucking into a bucket of fried chicken covered in the Colonel's 11 secret herbs and spices might seem appealing, when you find yourself elbow-deep reaching for that last piece, you'll usually be in a place of regret and shame.
Luckily, we've come to the rescue with a healthier alternative. Utilising fish wings will give you a sense of pride that you are giving more respect to the fish you catch. And cooking this dish will give you the same feeling of eating KFC, without the inevitable
1) Toss fish wings in marinade and leave to sit for 20mins.
2) Transfer one at a time into coating and press seasoned flour mix all over fish. Make sure to get coating into all the gaps, especially behind the wings.
3) Heat 3-4 cups of oil in your pan. The COBB Grill works wonders (the world's most versatile outdoor cooker).
4) Drop into hot oil, cook for 3-4 mins, then flip and cook another 2 mins. Transfer wings to paper towel to drain.
5) Serve with drizzles of hot sauce and ranch dressing with slices of lemon.
Receipe by Kaelah James - Kaelah's Wild Kai Kitchen.
Prep Time: 20 mins
Cook Time: 5-10 mins
Feeds: 2 - 4 (depending on hunger levels)
Part of fish: Wings/throats/collars
April 2022 - Dallas Abel - Kai Ika Project
New Zealand Fishing News Magazine.
Copyright: NZ Fishing Media Ltd.
Re-publishing elsewhere is prohibited