Where to fillet fish

Page  <12
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:15pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I put my frames in the freezer, then put them in the rubbish bag on collection day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 8:35pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I prefer to put them in the deep ocean for the aforementioned reasons. I was pretty good with the free fish heads thing for a while, but it's a hassle. I rarely bring home more than three or four fish (by choice!), so not really worth it for the recipient. Then I started stock piling them in the freezer, but that meant gutting the fish and some sort of wrapping. More hassle.

These days, I'm bringing home more fish (have to feed in-laws now) and have got in to the habit of gutting fish as soon as I catch them, so may give free fish heads another go.  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote bigred1 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2024 at 10:24pm
bigred1 View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

For about the past year I have been filleting at sea. Being Tauranga based snapper ia the main specics caught. Another less than about 33cm goes back if suitable and most fish I take a photo of on a measure mat. This means not only is there no mess at home, I now only take a small chilly bin and a few freezer pads, instead of a big chilly and a bag of ice. I can throw a fish or two in the anchor well if the action is hot, e.g. when I'm chasing kahawai but usually there is ample time to fillet. I have met fisheries officers at the ramp and they want to see (and count) the fillets but are really resonable and say they know what legal fillets look like, usually without wanting to see the photos, although I always offer. The Niwa researchers want to see the photos for their measurement records. I can't remember the last time I caught my limit (due to both incompetence and impatience) so that probably helps as I am clearly not pushing the rules.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Schecter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2024 at 5:34pm
Schecter View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I usually gut and clean my fish at sea.  I discard guts far away from the boat ramp and swimming holes.  

As with fish smell, you could spray a little air freshner around the filleting and storage areas.  Cleaning your gear is as easy as a spray and wipe with a damp cloth.  

As for storage for fishing gear, perhaps a foldable warerobe that you can fit into the room might work for you?  
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 2:57pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I did the free fish heads thing today for the first time in a long while. It was super efficient! I think the advent of Facebook groups that are highly localised to a small geographical area has made it more relevant to people. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 7:39pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I did the free fish heads thing today for the first time in a long while. It was super efficient! I think the advent of Facebook groups that are highly localised to a small geographical area has made it more relevant to people. 

Skoti and I have an fb page called Fish Heads Waiuku https://www.facebook.com/groups/595179341725304

I asked Skoti to set it up because I couldn't give the stuff away. Sometimes we keep it, sometimes it's easier to forward it on. Never missed with that page and have a few regular 'customers'.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 7:53pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

That's the idea smudge! For us northerners: https://www.facebook.com/groups/516331398752307

Facebook isn't completely useless LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2024 at 8:49pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good work MB, yes fb does have it's uses but ... yeah
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Page  <12