FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

What Rod?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Catchelot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What Rod?
    Posted: 20 Aug 2020 at 9:14pm
Catchelot View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What rod would be recommended for a Saragosa 25000?

It is a heavy reel, but I would like to cast 80lb braid off it...

or do folk recommend otherwise...??
"The sea, once it casts its spell, holds one in its net of wonder forever." - Jacques Cousteau
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 1:41am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Man, get a 14000 or 18000 size reel, save your arms and back a little, and cast PE8 as much as you want with it!
What's the rod for? And how much are you willing to pay for it?
But overall look for a PE8 class rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Structfab Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Oct 2020 at 10:22am
Structfab View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

you'd only need a 25000 (capacity) for topwater chasing Marlin or BFT.....otherwise it's just excess weight (and alot of it at that). Also, they're low ratio.....so it's going to be hard work
18-14K will easy handle your 80lb.....and a high ratio suits topwater 
Rod - Anesh was selling a lovely MC works SLow hand PE6-8 (from memory).....awesome big fish rod.

https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/fs-mc-works-sh846_topic134355.html
(get it so I don't please LOL....already have tyoo many topwater rods)

There's many to choose from in the PE6-8 range which will suit your 80lb pref.......but it all comes down to budget for rods. I'd indicate a ball park figure for guys to give you recommendations on