Tauranga Squid

Page  <1 345
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Roblobker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2020 at 6:45pm
Roblobker View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi, want to get back into it myself again to so keen to know where the good spots are. I read much about Salisbury jetty, any other spots around?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote semisonic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2021 at 11:53pm
semisonic View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I've caught a couple in Tauranga harbour at 2 different locations. However, this was coming up 21 years ago now....1st one was at Bobbys Fish market (also heaps of jack mackerel at night too on small jigs) there is a little storage shed thing there on the right as you walk onto the wharf and was a really bright light there, used to go down there late at night after jack mackerel and ended up getting one in the winter there - sorry can't remember if the light is there anymore as don't live there anymore, nor have fished there since 2001. I think it's fenced off now to that wharf, but might be able to have a go from the strand carpark side.

2nd place I got one was at the Harbourside restaurant (under the railway bridge) was on that wooden jetty and was right up by the restaurant, was well after closing but used to be lit up a little there. 

Neither time was I targeting them, just a random bycatch but I've just pulled out my old records from back then and both were caught in early July 2000 11pm sort of time on both occasions. Used to night fish the harbour a heck of a lot back then, had some fun times!
Page  <1 345