FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spin Reel for 3 Kings

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin Reel for 3 Kings
    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:46am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello guys.
I was absent from the forum for a long time, I apologise for that. As a researcher my professional life kept me away from fishing forums (luckily I managed to go fishing ahahahah).

Now coming back to the topic...I mostly jig arround the Azores archipelago. Although my main target are the greater amberjacks (Seriola dumerili) which can be found (sadly not in the numbers that used to be due to overfishing) still in huge sizes...true monsters! Fish that can go over 70kg...fish that big rarelly are brought to the side of the boat, and when that happens is mostly while doing spear fishing. Huge greater amberjack can still be caught doing jigging, but most of the 30kg+ bust everything in the volcanic rock bottoms.
The particular places that I target I normally fish them with a PE6 setup with  jigs up to 350g and a 10000 shimano size reel. But truth to be said, the only reason I don't go heavier (PE8 or PE10 setup) after huge fish in the banks is because I can't pay for a charter all by myself and lack people to go with me with that kind of gear...
That being said, this year I lost my biggest amberjack, for sure a fish 40kg+ and saw it's "coat" (like we say in the Azores in portuguese - "ainda lhe vi o casaco"). So I am putting together a PE8 jigging setup. I've got the rod, now I need the reel.
And here's when I ask your help. Just let me further explain a bit more...I'm also planning on doing a trip to your side of the world on 2021 to go to the Three Kings! That being said, I need to pick a spinning reel to fill with either PE8 or 10. My question is, fishing in the 3 kings, do we need lots of line? Or can a 10000 size reel do? I don't think I can fit more than 200m PE8 or 10 on  10000 shimano size reel...
Which size would you recommend? And which PE line, PE8 or PE10?
In case anyone is curious, this is the rod I got my hands on: Temple Reef X Jigging - X12S 5'3".

Sorry for the long post.
Best regards to everybody,
Pedro Tomás
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fished 08 10kPG stella with PE8 and that did the jobSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:28pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See if you can score a used 2008  SW20,000 stella........they are still floating around and are cheaper than a new stella........They have the lower gear ratio which would suit jigging.....heaps of capacity for pe8 or pe 10 as well....Given what you said......Thats what i would be hunting.....the sw18,000 spool is inter changeable with that but the sw18000 is HG should you spot the reel......both reels here are silver/gold.....SW20000 is a very nice reel...PE10 is best in tiger country.....PERFECT4U.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:27am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the tips!