Spin Reel for 3 Kings

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spin Reel for 3 Kings
    Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 10:46am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hello guys.
I was absent from the forum for a long time, I apologise for that. As a researcher my professional life kept me away from fishing forums (luckily I managed to go fishing ahahahah).

Now coming back to the topic...I mostly jig arround the Azores archipelago. Although my main target are the greater amberjacks (Seriola dumerili) which can be found (sadly not in the numbers that used to be due to overfishing) still in huge sizes...true monsters! Fish that can go over 70kg...fish that big rarelly are brought to the side of the boat, and when that happens is mostly while doing spear fishing. Huge greater amberjack can still be caught doing jigging, but most of the 30kg+ bust everything in the volcanic rock bottoms.
The particular places that I target I normally fish them with a PE6 setup with  jigs up to 350g and a 10000 shimano size reel. But truth to be said, the only reason I don't go heavier (PE8 or PE10 setup) after huge fish in the banks is because I can't pay for a charter all by myself and lack people to go with me with that kind of gear...
That being said, this year I lost my biggest amberjack, for sure a fish 40kg+ and saw it's "coat" (like we say in the Azores in portuguese - "ainda lhe vi o casaco"). So I am putting together a PE8 jigging setup. I've got the rod, now I need the reel.
And here's when I ask your help. Just let me further explain a bit more...I'm also planning on doing a trip to your side of the world on 2021 to go to the Three Kings! That being said, I need to pick a spinning reel to fill with either PE8 or 10. My question is, fishing in the 3 kings, do we need lots of line? Or can a 10000 size reel do? I don't think I can fit more than 200m PE8 or 10 on  10000 shimano size reel...
Which size would you recommend? And which PE line, PE8 or PE10?
In case anyone is curious, this is the rod I got my hands on: Temple Reef X Jigging - X12S 5'3".

Sorry for the long post.
Best regards to everybody,
Pedro Tomás
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Sep 2020 at 12:00pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I fished 08 10kPG stella with PE8 and that did the jobSmile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Sep 2020 at 5:28pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

See if you can score a used 2008  SW20,000 stella........they are still floating around and are cheaper than a new stella........They have the lower gear ratio which would suit jigging.....heaps of capacity for pe8 or pe 10 as well....Given what you said......Thats what i would be hunting.....the sw18,000 spool is inter changeable with that but the sw18000 is HG should you spot the reel......both reels here are silver/gold.....SW20000 is a very nice reel...PE10 is best in tiger country.....PERFECT4U.Wink
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Sep 2020 at 6:27am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks for the tips!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Oct 2020 at 4:37pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

for the 3 Kings, you are likely to jig 80-120m for Kingfish and down to 250m for Hapuka/Bass, even deeper for Bluenose.
That pretty much leaves you little choice but the larger SW20000 Stella where you would get approx 300m PE8 (100lb).   If you had to make do with SW10000, then you might get 200m PE8 which is enough for most Kingfish.  Hopefully you carry spare pe8.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 4:38am
Titanium
Titanium

The sw20000(2008)was standard issue for tiger country.....Then you had SWB and Now SWC stellas.........so plenty to choose from.....High PE and Capacity and **** loads of drag on any of em......more than you will ever need....If you get bust off on a SW10,000 ,you wont have much line left in reserve.......The more capacity the better or you could find yourself respooling on a regular basis.Confused
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 9:17am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Excuse my ignorance - I'm from the salt fly section.....Embarrassed

How do you guys keep re-spooling braid while out at sea after epic bustoffs.
I thought you'd have to re-spool under incredible tension for PE8 and up and have it done on a machine to stop it biting into itself under tension.

The other thing, why do you need to keep re-spooling?
Where does the line bust off and how much do you lose per break off?

I thought it would have been near the leader join knot or slightly up from there in tiger country, so maybe 10 meters at a time?

It's a worry having so many meters of line just dragging around on the bottom unattached.

Genuine questions not trolling or looking for a ****-fight.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 11:20am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Is an "epic bust off" much different from an average  one?

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 12:12pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Titahi Titahi wrote:

Is an "epic bust off" much different from an average  one?

I'd like to think so -

Hanging on like grim death onto 8-10PE braid attached to something on the bottom with 40+ pounds of drag.
You see blokes being dragged about and grunting and squealing.

Bit different to PE 2-3 with 5kg drag?

Not too sure what else to add to that.

Do you have an answer to the question perhaps?

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 5:06pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Invariably the majority of bust off's Ive experienced  when jigging happen approximately a couple of meters from terminal tackle.... I suspect thats because fish dragging line across rocks and reef tends to occur close to the fish,  and jigging  by its nature tends to see the angler vertically above said fish.....   Cant say ive ever had to re spool on a boat cause Ive lost lartge a mouynts of braid. jigging Doggies in 140m  on the edge of a reef I only lost a few meters at a time,  despite the bottom being @ 180m to be fair they are a bugger of a fish to catch where they live :(
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote OuttaHere Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Oct 2020 at 6:42pm
OuttaHere View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

As I understand it, having looked into it but never been... fishing with a group up at the Kings, you'll get crossed lines, even if it doesn't pop at the time it will damage your braid so the next time you lock up on a fish it pops at some random point between you and the fish instead of neatly breaking at the leader knot.

Part of why people recommend PE8+ up there... yes you can get PE4, PE5 that you can pull REALLY hard on, but it's the abrasion resistance of the thicker lines that you need.

If I was going up there, only 2 spin reels I would consider... Saltiga 20000 (or the older ones with the sizing I don't understand... 8500?) and Stella 20000. The Okuma Makaira 20000 is more than up to the task but only comes in high speed and is too fast for that style of fishing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Oct 2020 at 3:09am
Titanium
Titanium

Although a costly exercise.....Taking spare spools already spooled up are a great idea..(stella spools dont come cheap but 18,000 and 20000 spools fit the same reel).....quick and easy change over......Agree with Tahiti.....in that if you use longer leaders.....u stand more chance of retaining your braid on bust off......Its a nice option to have..... you dont have with that with overhead reels........stella spools for the older sw's are pretty rare these days......anywhere from 200 to 300 dollars a pop...if your lucky.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Oct 2020 at 1:38pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Excuse my ignorance - I'm from the salt fly section.....Embarrassed

How do you guys keep re-spooling braid while out at sea after epic bustoffs.
I thought you'd have to re-spool under incredible tension for PE8 and up and have it done on a machine to stop it biting into itself under tension.

The other thing, why do you need to keep re-spooling?
Where does the line bust off and how much do you lose per break off?

I thought it would have been near the leader join knot or slightly up from there in tiger country, so maybe 10 meters at a time?

It's a worry having so many meters of line just dragging around on the bottom unattached.

Genuine questions not trolling or looking for a ****-fight.

Bust-offs might only lose a few metres but crossed lines might lose you 100m from a reel that might only carry 200-250m.  This line loss also reflects in the line retrieve rate which will adversely affect the potential to attract a hit while jigging.  Some anglers won't accept joins in their line so will totally respool. 
I've seen and experienced numerous occasions where the line has parted under modest tension without reason. 
Yes it is a concern having Kingies dragging line around the ocean and potentially tangling itself around reef structure resulting in starvation and premature death.   We don't want this!
Part of the reason why most charter boats specify PE8/100lb braid on their boats.  Greater abrasion resistance and strength that can handle the expected bigger fish. 
Respooling on a boat can be problematical.  I've seen guys holding down the bulk spool against the bait board to tension the line.  Others have thrown the entire spool into the sea while boat is moving.  The line drag applies some tension while filling the reel, unfortunately this short-sightedness means more plastic in the ocean.   Others have loosely over spooled and ran the line out behind the moving boat, then winding back under some tension. 

Nothing beats respooling under tension with a line winding machine. 
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Nov 2020 at 9:07am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks Chris for the explanation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 3:13am
Titanium
Titanium

Another reason for spare spools i reckon....I have at least one for most of my spinning reels.....spooled at the tackle shop....on my baitrunners where i only use mono...i do them myself.Wink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishb8 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Nov 2020 at 10:42am
Fishb8 View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

One time, deep bait-dropping off Mayor Islands with 4 anglers grunting up big fish, all on braid, when a 5th angler hooked a speedy Mako (on mono) which then proceeded to run from bow to stern on the surface, cutting off the other 4, all with 200+ metres out. All anglers on lever drag reels.
Be yourself; everyone else is already taken
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pedrotms Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Nov 2020 at 6:25am
Pedrotms View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I enjoyed reading all your comments! Thanks for the help. Big smile
Sadly, three kings in 2021 will no longer happen thanks to COVID.
I'm still putting the jigging setup together! Got a "bargain" a saltiga2020 18000 size and so I have rod and reel.
Now comes the line, probably PE8, but a lot of people recommend PE10. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks again, and hopefully 2022 will be the year...

Best,
Pedro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lowbox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2020 at 7:44pm
Lowbox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Go PE10. You are going there to catch a monster - and if you do and it busts off your PE8 you will regret it. And you may receive some “advice” from the skipper 😄
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Nov 2020 at 5:56am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Rozboon Rozboon wrote:

As I understand it, having looked into it but never been... fishing with a group up at the Kings, you'll get crossed lines, even if it doesn't pop at the time it will damage your braid so the next time you lock up on a fish it pops at some random point between you and the fish instead of neatly breaking at the leader knot.

Part of why people recommend PE8+ up there... yes you can get PE4, PE5 that you can pull REALLY hard on, but it's the abrasion resistance of the thicker lines that you need.

If I was going up there, only 2 spin reels I would consider... Saltiga 20000 (or the older ones with the sizing I don't understand... 8500?) and Stella 20000. The Okuma Makaira 20000 is more than up to the task but only comes in high speed and is too fast for that style of fishing.
Braid and rocks dont mix whatever thickness or strength they are and braid has no abrasion resistance...thats why you use a [email protected] caught a 31kg king and a 40 kg puka on 80 pound braid......cant see a huge benefit to using pe10 over pe8.......The leader and its length are more important.......pe8 will give you a greater capacity...diawa boat braid was and always will be excellent in 80 pound.....ygk as well.Wink...more important= get the fish away from the bottom asap !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Dec 2020 at 4:16pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Pedrotms Pedrotms wrote:

Got a "bargain" a saltiga2020 18000 size and so I have rod and reel.
Now comes the line, probably PE8, but a lot of people recommend PE10. We'll see how it goes.
Thanks again, and hopefully 2022 will be the year...

Best,
Pedro

hopefully that Saltiga is a "power" gear and not "hi speed".  You will need cranking power at the 3 Kings.  I'd go for a PE8 or US made 80-100lb braid e.g Jerry Brown hollow 80lb.
give it death!
Page  12>