Spearfishing Samoa

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spearfishing Samoa
    Posted: 17 Apr 2013 at 1:57am
alastair View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Im heading to Upolu Samoa next week with the mrs and packing my spearfishing gear. Has anyone got any recommendations on places to dive etc and places to stay hopefully with a reef! Have heard there can be lots of swell on the southern side this time of year?? Is it worth taking a big gun ( 4 rubbers ) for pelagic fish or just a 1200? Are the fish ok to eat (Ciguatera poisoning.) Be keen on any info u can share or contacts up there for some diving.
Cheers Alastair.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote BRUNTY Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 3:57pm
BRUNTY View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I did Samoa for a week in june last year.
There was very limited access for rock hopping,

there was a loop rode we traveled but couldnt find a decent spot to access without swell.
There where a few spots about but its luck of the draw with the swell.

I ended going out on a boat for the day to a reef a few miles out from the port.
there where a few cuta and trevs about but for me they where hanging below my max range.

120 should be fine.
I shoot most things in the tropics with a 120.

Up to you what you would rather carry.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote alastair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Apr 2013 at 9:04pm
alastair View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Sweet cheers for that, sounds a bit hit and miss ,1200 will be sweet and easier to carry.

Thanks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Speeder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Apr 2013 at 8:36pm
Speeder View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ask for Trevor Meredith when you get here....
He's the speer fisho "Dive Guy" here I Samoa...
Hope that helps
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote E Z E Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Dec 2015 at 6:33pm
E Z E View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi
i have recently moved to Samoa and would love do a bit of spearfishing. Would anyone be able to suggest some places for a shore dive? or anyone i can get in contact with that can show me the ropes. also  any hunting tips for the islands would be appreciated.