Reality big cat charters - cato reef

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote advtracing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Reality big cat charters - cato reef
    Posted: 28 Aug 2018 at 2:02pm
advtracing View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HI Guys 

Anyone been out on Reality big cat charters ? 
Looking to do a trip mid next year with a few keen people . 

https://www.bigcatreality.com/fishing-trips.html

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 9:45pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Yes I did this in August about 3 years ago.  Great operation and recommended but know that most fishing will be from self drive boats (2 on board) and you will be left to your own resources.  Little/no help from the crew or fellow anglers on who/how to fish.  Mostly top water there - don't take cheap lures, GT's definitely bite on big expensive stickbaits.  Jigging for Doggies is only good in evening/night just behind the anchored Big Cat.  Shallow water there, only 30-40m so don't need heavy jigs unless you want to jig the drop offs  (100-130m) for bottom species.

Take SOAP and SHAMPOO!!! The Big Cat is not a hotel, you have to bring your own.

Choose good dates, you don't want bad moon phases for GT fishing.

Good luck!
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jackel Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Jan 2019 at 10:57pm
jackel View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by ChrisW ChrisW wrote:

Yes I did this in August about 3 years ago.  Great operation and recommended but know that most fishing will be from self drive boats (2 on board) and you will be left to your own resources.  Little/no help from the crew or fellow anglers on who/how to fish.  Mostly top water there - don't take cheap lures, GT's definitely bite on big expensive stickbaits.  Jigging for Doggies is only good in evening/night just behind the anchored Big Cat.  Shallow water there, only 30-40m so don't need heavy jigs unless you want to jig the drop offs  (100-130m) for bottom species.

Take SOAP and SHAMPOO!!! The Big Cat is not a hotel, you have to bring your own.

Choose good dates, you don't want bad moon phases for GT fishing.

Good luck!

Hey Chris, what are the most favorable moon phases for the GT's and/or the ones to avoid? Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 May 2019 at 10:22pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

sorry mate, just found your question now.  I really don't know. Best to ask on a GT forum.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Sep 2019 at 9:38pm
Snag View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

How'd you get on?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2019 at 12:25pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I got on quite poorly, very disappointed.  I quickly understood the value of good topwater gear.  Made me really value fishing in places like the Ranfurly and 3 Kings which are far more productive and cheaper!
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snag Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Oct 2019 at 10:58am
Snag View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I've done the 3 Kings & the Ranfurlys, 3 Kings was well below average but that was due to a inexperienced captain and a bad choice of charter on my behalf.

Ranfurlys were awesome, ticked that off the list.

Cato is self guided but with like minded people. When you break it down Cato is only about $60 more per day and that includes flights to Brisbane.

When it comes to fishing if money was a concern we would all take up hiking! ;)

I will be going on either Cato or a Kenns?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Nov 2019 at 4:34pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

my mate just did Cato 2 months ago and said it was much better than the time we did 2 years back.   I'd be more interested in Kenns which is 10hrs further out.  More suited to jigging.
give it death!