Question: PE rating to leader rating, rigging up.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaNymphWarrior Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Question: PE rating to leader rating, rigging up.
    Posted: 24 Aug 2016 at 10:54pm
SeaNymphWarrior View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I am slowly researching the whole Jigging dynamic, getting my a into g for the summer ahead.

Two questions I can't seem to get answered no matter how I re-word it on google...

What size leader should I be using for my different set-ups...

I have a slow, light set-up with PE 1, 40lb (roughly) - what breaking strain of fluorocarbon should I be using for my 3-6m of leader?

PE 5 set-up as well?

Does anyone know where to find a decent article of how to rig up your jigs correctly, or an article that describes the advantages and disadvantages of all the concepts I have stumbled upon... it seems everyone has their own 'preferred' way of rigging up their arsenal.

Have skimmed through the forums and not found anything that specifically answers this... and I do mean skimmed...

Thanks in advance!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 1:21am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dont go more than double the braid.........Pe5 you could use 50/60/70/80/100  no probs but use mono.....It depends on what size fish you expect to catch and the terrain you are fishing in........thats why you dont find anything set in stone....save yourself some money and use a supple mono..........use flouro for live baiting where invisiblenesss is good........personally i never use flouro for jigging......too much memory ....knots hard to tie and PR knots dont grip as well......Suffix zippy will do the job in whatever weight you choose. .......
              Make your own assist rigs....you will find heaps of blogs if you search for that on here........most of the assist rigs that come with jigs(most do not) are all poo.......you need better hooks.....better assist cord and better split rings and solid rings....big fish will exploit any weakness in tackle and you will only Cry
owner solid rings and hyper wire split rings
jigging master monster /gamakatsu tuned 30/35 hooks/owner jig hooks....If you have plenty of money and  cant be bothered to learn  you can buy shout assist rigs that are  all done for you......just add a similar sized split ring and your away.......some are longer than others.
jigstar kevlar assist cord in medium or heavy
Learn a PR knot or FG knot.....buy a PR Bobbin.
                  match your rods/reels and line to achieve a balanced set........300 gram jigs if you dont want to work too hard......tuned 35 with Medium jigstar cord ....size 8 or 9 owner solid ring......size 8 or 9 owner split ring.......learn how to tie assist rigs .......hook hangs down one third of jig...........get some split ring pliers.....those blue berkley ones are cheap .....do the job and are a good start for you....keep searching /learning.........You are hooked more than the fish !LOL

Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PE Pete Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 7:33am
PE Pete View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

For your slow PE1 set 20lb good quality mono leader less than 3m tied with an FG knot.

PE 5 set maybe 50-80lb Flouro carbon depending on the size of your targets & terrain your fishing again FG knot.
IMO
Tight lines
PE Pete
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote home bouy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 7:55am
home bouy View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

ive always used flurocarbon leaders and never have had issues i feel the benefitsyou gain using fluro well outweigh the fact that is a bit harder to tie knots. just practise your knots and test them uni knot or ag chain to the jig and pr for the leader to the braid never seen a pr slip off fluro. definitely make your own jig assist cords though. and leader size on pe5 anything from 80lb to 180lb if you know you are going to big boy lands. 
on your light set up if your only going after snaps id say 30lb tops but if for kings look to go heavier say 50lb
its all about getting your sets balanced 
check out these videos to rig up
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8yRLq2h9z4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UQ0O3sMNc8s

and just search pr knot on youtube
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:57am
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Slow pitch jigging and slow jigging I use 30lb Fluro leader, this is dictated by terrain and conditions to a degree but if you're fishing in foul areas with large fish dropping to 20lb can get expensive on the wallet.  

50lb Mechanical jigging 60-80-100lb depending on the day and area you're jigging but 80lb would be a good all round to start. 

I use fluro. I don't find knots any more difficult to tie and the extra abrasion resistance is worthwhile, A well tied PR knot will hold well and have yet to have one fail under high drags. 

If you're going to learn how to tie your own assist rigs, which is very worth while, make sure you look at using the Jig star ring and grommets. They're  a worthwhile investment and will save you a few jigs once you start hooking up

And gesus christ LBD your hard to read :P 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 9:57am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

What part of the country are you fishing?
The advice regarding area and terrain is good, this is what I consider when choosing a leader (although my staple is 150lb so more of a default than choice)
Regardless of your braid strength its going to go ping if you cannot slow/stop a fish from taking you into the reef, so consider the fish with a jig in its mouth and a 3-5m leader when using 50lb in tiger country.

In terms of your knots, rigging etc.. it is all in here somewhere and certainly online it been done to death many times.

In short this is what I use..suitable rod/reel..113lb braid/FG knot/trace to thimble/solid ring crimped or tied/Kevlar assist cord of your choice/ Gammie tuned or Fisherman Spinoza hook/decent split ring/jig of some pink purple description (read Zest deep slim pink mack Wink)   

White Island/East Coast.

as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 10:19am
Titanium
Titanium

^^ was the number one selling jig up here for a long time that Deepslim pink mack... Still my go to, although I do like the orange super deep at time as well with the glow back... 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Johnny Watson Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 12:59pm
Johnny Watson View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

What brand braid you using there Falco?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:17pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I use YGK ultra, not sure what the cool kids use these day though. I am looking to respool the Stellas soon as the braid is about 6 years old and has been thrashed, never let me down..well once but that was the angler on a marlin and the braid was wound on too lose after chasing it and it bit in and snapped at the boat.
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:25pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by hookerpuka hookerpuka wrote:

Slow pitch jigging and slow jigging I use 30lb Fluro leader, this is dictated by terrain and conditions to a degree but if you're fishing in foul areas with large fish dropping to 20lb can get expensive on the wallet.  

50lb Mechanical jigging 60-80-100lb depending on the day and area you're jigging but 80lb would be a good all round to start. 

I use fluro. I don't find knots any more difficult to tie and the extra abrasion resistance is worthwhile, A well tied PR knot will hold well and have yet to have one fail under high drags. 

If you're going to learn how to tie your own assist rigs, which is very worth while, make sure you look at using the Jig star ring and grommets. They're  a worthwhile investment and will save you a few jigs once you start hooking up

And gesus christ LBD your hard to read :P 

Hookerpuka.....i could say the same about you but i dont.........maybe improve your glassesWink....as always ....I am just trying to help others.
Falco...where have you been? ....you havent posted on here for yonks !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:40pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

[/QUOTE]

I stepped off the merry go round, but judging by the last few comments its same old business as usual LOL
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 4:52pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by falco falco wrote:

I stepped off the merry go round, but judging by the last few comments its same old business as usual LOL
[/QUOTE]

Nah it's been pretty quiet with the exception of one interesting character lately. LBD still bites as hard as usual though :P 

Hope life is treating you well and the fish are still biting just as hard as ever for you. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DenimViper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Aug 2016 at 8:34pm
DenimViper View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

If you looking to tie your own assists for the likes of slowpitch I reccomend you check out anglers secrets website. Has EVERYTHING on slow pitch related stuff. For my slowpitch set up i use shimano ocea Pe2 braid with seaguar fxr 35lb fluro. That stuff is the bees knees
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 5:22am
Titanium
Titanium

Nah it's been pretty quiet with the exception of one interesting character lately. LBD still bites as hard as usual though :P 

Hope life is treating you well and the fish are still biting just as hard as ever for you. 
[/QUOTE]
I am still getting therapy from leaving nz puka....too many ****ing aussies over hereLOL and they cant play rugby for sh...t
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 9:00am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

I am still getting therapy from leaving nz puka....too many ****ing aussies over hereLOL and they cant play rugby for sh...t
[/QUOTE]

Bwahaha funny as. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Aug 2016 at 4:40pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by laidbackdood laidbackdood wrote:

Bwahaha funny as. 
[/QUOTE]
This place needs a bit of colourWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Sep 2016 at 9:50pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by SeaNymphWarrior SeaNymphWarrior wrote:

I am slowly researching the whole Jigging dynamic, getting my a into g for the summer ahead.

Two questions I can't seem to get answered no matter how I re-word it on google...

What size leader should I be using for my different set-ups...

I have a slow, light set-up with PE 1, 40lb (roughly) - what breaking strain of fluorocarbon should I be using for my 3-6m of leader?

PE 5 set-up as well?

Does anyone know where to find a decent article of how to rig up your jigs correctly, or an article that describes the advantages and disadvantages of all the concepts I have stumbled upon... it seems everyone has their own 'preferred' way of rigging up their arsenal.

Have skimmed through the forums and not found anything that specifically answers this... and I do mean skimmed...

Thanks in advance!!

Some good advice here from experienced jiggers.

The choice of leader is determined by the terrain, fish size and the need to balance with braid used.  Slow Pitch jigging has an emphasis on lightweight braid and leader so with PE1 braid, I'd still go with 1-3m of 15-20lb FC.  
PE5 outfits suggests Kingies so anything from 3-4m of 60-100lb FC.

There has been a lot written on "correct jig setup" but everybody has their own opinion.  IMO the assist hook cord should be kept just short enough to loop onto the solid ring on the assist hook.  This keeps the hook at the narrow head end of the jig and avoids jamming itself on the jig or tangling in the leader.   
I hate the overuse of skirts on assist hooks as they cause undue drag and upset the natural jig action.   The jigs are intricately designed and expensive so don't stuff up their intended design.  With 23 x 3 Kings and Ranfurly jig-only trips under my belt, I can say through experience that skirts are misunderstood and over used.

Take a look at this website and explore the FAQ and Jig section where you will find good advice on jig and rigging concepts.
It may not answer all your Q's, but it will point in the right direction -  http://www.jigstarrods.com/lures
 http://www.jigstarrods.com/support
http://www.jigstarrods.com/dbl-ring--grommet

give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 Jun 2021 at 9:59am
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Another old thread I know. Just a couple of questions I’m hoping to get opinions on.
I’m getting set up for slow pitch jigging in deeper water with jigs up to 300g.
With SPJ on pins and reefs it can be a surprise what you hook.
I’m intend to go PE 3 for my braid, this is at the heavier end recommended by the overseas gurus.
I’m thinking maybe 50lb leader which is much lighter than the 80-130lb leaders I use mechanical jigging.
Would 50lb be OK for kings? Could I try even lighter like 40lb?
Also I’m getting a bit disillusioned with Fluorocarbon. I would be interested opinions on using mono leaders for heavier SPJ?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 1:21pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Crochet Cast Crochet Cast wrote:

Another old thread I know. Just a couple of questions I’m hoping to get opinions on.
I’m getting set up for slow pitch jigging in deeper water with jigs up to 300g.
With SPJ on pins and reefs it can be a surprise what you hook.
I’m intend to go PE 3 for my braid, this is at the heavier end recommended by the overseas gurus.
I’m thinking maybe 50lb leader which is much lighter than the 80-130lb leaders I use mechanical jigging.
Would 50lb be OK for kings? Could I try even lighter like 40lb?
Also I’m getting a bit disillusioned with Fluorocarbon. I would be interested opinions on using mono leaders for heavier SPJ?

Cheers

50-60lb leader is plenty for a deep water pe3 setup. I still use 30lb on most of my setups but use flurocarbon. Way better abrasion resistance than mono

www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Crochet Cast Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2021 at 6:56pm
Crochet Cast View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thanks Kaveman
Settled on 50lb J-Thread. Significantly thinner than the equivalent Ocea FC.
Abrasion resistance is the only advantage I can see, FC lines are generally thicker than Nylon for a given breaking strain always wondered if that is what actually gives it better abrasion resistance.
First time using the Diawa FC. Interested to see how it goes as it has “low memory” as one of it’s marketing points, the memory in FC is one of the things I dislike.