FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Proven stickbaits

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Proven stickbaits
    Posted: 30 Dec 2020 at 6:15pm
fishoff View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

keen to get into stick baiting , I’ve had success on poppers.

Are there any affordable stickbaits that people recommend that don’t break the bank and still catch fish

Keen to hear your suggestions of go to lures ? Ocea ? Nomad or any other affordable options

Target : Auckland kingfish -90-100cm
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jan 2021 at 1:21pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just refreshing this post, in case some experts have returned from holiday who can help out.

When I was on a charter out of Sandspit, we had pretty good success using the Shimano Orca stickbaits at Flat Rock, which were a plastic construction of lowish cost. Tony Orton used to recommend them too (sponsored by Shimano). The Ocea are a slightly different shape.

The Marias distributed by Ocean Angler seem to be effective in the inner gulf.
The Nomad Mascad (sinking) and Riptide have done very well in Australia for pelagics, and I've seen videos on YouTube with the Riptide nailing kingies here.
Also the Catch ones, seen them land big kingies off the rocks up north.

I'd go with the medium sized lures, rather than big ones.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:11am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yeah Im keen to know too, I find stick bait options a bit daunting and overwhelming. I liked the Shimano slices that move a lot in the water, I forget the name of the darn things.

In Aussie, well before soft baits and all that I use to use 7" plain white sluggos, they look like fleeing garfish or similar. They were lethal cast and retrieve. Not sure if we can buy them in NZ?

Thanks Tamure, Ill check out those options you listed as well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote jac Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 8:58am
jac View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Couple that usually get results for me

On the cheaper end of scale
Shimano flasboost sardine ball
FCL tbo 180
Maria Rapido
Maria Boar 180

On pricier end
CB one Ryan
Hammerhead chery pai
Carpenter Gamma
Amageri leen 180

Many many more great lures out there. A lot of which catch the anglers eye. Guess it’s what the fish wants on the day.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2021 at 9:48am
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Thanks Jac, wow that is the cheap end. Im glad I dont use them to often, loosing $50 lures to kings is not cheap bait vs livebaiting haha.

I know these are cheaper, but I like WaxWings, I just love their action.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Somethingsmellsfishy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Feb 2021 at 11:51am
Somethingsmellsfishy View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

For the past 3 years i've always used the Rapala long cast 14cm and had ok results down south, i changed them up this year due to using a friends NACL and they are farm more superior. I was out a few weeks ago and had a school chasing in my usual rapala x3 times and no hook ups threw out my NACL Kahawai and instantly took it. Not so much on the cheaper more affordable side they cost between $80 and $140 per lure. The kingy i hooked up was 116cm and weiged in at just under 25kgs so well and truly made my money back in weight of fish of one kingy!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote muchalls Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Feb 2021 at 10:26pm
muchalls View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

well, in my (very) limited experience, I had a good fish and a dropped one on Shimano Orca, Pillie pattern but rigged with 2 singles.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Feb 2021 at 10:22am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Somethingsmellsfishy Somethingsmellsfishy wrote:

For the past 3 years i've always used the Rapala long cast 14cm and had ok results down south, i changed them up this year due to using a friends NACL and they are farm more superior. I was out a few weeks ago and had a school chasing in my usual rapala x3 times and no hook ups threw out my NACL Kahawai and instantly took it. Not so much on the cheaper more affordable side they cost between $80 and $140 per lure. The kingy i hooked up was 116cm and weiged in at just under 25kgs so well and truly made my money back in weight of fish of one kingy!

Those NACL lures look superbly made, very interesting. With the OCL guy also making quality lures, it's great to have local artisans to support.

In terms of the Rapala long cast you had success with, is that the one with the bib, or without - the "Long Cast Shallow"?