FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Ponui Island Lighthouse

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Ponui Island Lighthouse
    Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:16pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I fish in Ponui Channel often and have often wondered about the structure at the end of the sandspit. Well here is an old photo of the Ponui Lighthouse which stood on that sructure.

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have not had time to go fishing.

Clark Gable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fishinrox Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 9:44pm
fishinrox View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Isnt that bean rock lighthouse?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:07pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

No it is definately Ponui and when you check the existing stucture you can clearly see the structure is the same.  The photo is from the lighthouses of NZ archives .  It was the same architect as Bean rock though.

Hell, if I'd jumped on all the dames I'm supposed to have jumped on, I'd have not had time to go fishing.

Clark Gable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:26pm
JK View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Yeah thats ponui. Both it and Bean Rock were very similar.
LedgeNZ LBG
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:28pm
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

By The way The island behind is McCallums Island 0800 REDROCK, now it is just about flat with a big hole in the middle. All those red footpaths etc. came from here

Clark Gable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Screaming Reels Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Feb 2011 at 10:41pm
Screaming Reels View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thats cool always wondered what the structure was for. Had to google it.Was built 1871.

The above photo taken 1973

The Car Doctor Mangakino
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:15am
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

The 1973 photo is of the unmanned lighthouse which replace the manned one above. 

Clark Gable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote slayliner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:41am
slayliner View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

The island in the picture is Pakihi not McCallums Island even thou they own both of them
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nvstg8r Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 8:48am
nvstg8r View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

You are quite right  Slayliner 

Clark Gable

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote landman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:10am
landman View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I vaguely remember the old lighthouse and when it was changed. What I do remember well though is it was a great place for Kings to hang around this would be worth tossing a popper / fly / softbait or stick bait around here when passing through.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 1:19pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Screaming Reels Screaming Reels wrote:

Thats cool always wondered what the structure was for. Had to google it.Was built 1871.

I recall some years back a certain C&%#^*d rescue skipper ran over the piles, and wreaked his boat "Topps".........should've stayed in bedWink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SaltyC Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:22pm
SaltyC View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Easy to throw stones Walu, it was pitch black, blowing a gale and there were people in the water in the Firth of Thames on the Coro side that he was going as fast as he could to try to rescue.

Conditions that 99% of people wouldn't even venture out in.

Me, I'm just glad there are people who try!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Betty Boop Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 2:45pm
Betty Boop View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I aint throwing stones.......marely passing a comment!.......Wink
Last week I joined an Anti-Social support group........They won't talk to me!

Papamoa
fi-Glass Viscount
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Te Namu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Apr 2014 at 9:12pm
Te Namu View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Screaming Reels Screaming Reels wrote:

I know this is off topic, but is that Stella? I know she started life servicing light houses around NZ.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raging Bull Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 Apr 2014 at 11:46am
Raging Bull View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt
Big Sexy

It does say Stella on the bow