micro jig technique

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote eynon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: micro jig technique
    Posted: 06 Dec 2017 at 10:33pm
eynon View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

anyone got any tips for fishing with micro jigs such as the 20g casting ones from kaveman?

gonna give them a go when i get out on the kayak next
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Garry 23041 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 6:54am
Garry 23041 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

People fish them a variety of ways looks like.

Are you good at softbaits?

I use my softbait technique but I use a slightly sharper wrist action while trying to keep the jig moving pretty slow on it's lift.

The other day it was big fish day and I was playing around with a much sharper jerk for a while and getting plenty of hits.

That said I was getting more hits than normal without hookups so I had to back down a tad to give them a second longer to get a good mouthful..

Play around. You are going to love casting them!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:20am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

I fish them much like a soft bait, cast forward of drift and slow wind, keeping rod high and series of subtle small twitches of the rod tip. Occasional very high rod lift and let jig sink back to the bottom works well too.
I find 90% of takes are jig getting hit on the drop
Seems like the fish are moving into the shallows in the Gulf so great time to be targeting them on light micro jigs
Btw, the CJ model fishes very well when left in rod holder too, make sure drag is set very light
Good luck
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Telecaster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 7:25am
Telecaster View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I often fish them fairly vertical from the kayak, spot the fish on the sounder, back paddle so you are on top of them, and drop it straight down. if it doesn't get hit straight away, do some yo yo jigging , maybe 4 or 5 lifts, then a slow wind about 5-10 turns of the handle (depends on water depth and how high in the water column the fish are holding) before dropping it again.

I have had some days in deeper water where the fish are showing as faint specks 10 or 15m up from the bottom (this is in 30-50m of water) and had no hits until on turn 12 or 15 of the slow wind phase.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 8:39am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I'm pretty new to it, but have good results thanks to the advice given on this forum. I fish micro jigs on a spin soft bait outfit just like a soft bait. Cast ahead of drift, allow to sink to bottom trying to stay in contact with the jig at the same time, once on the bottom, a series of short, sharp twitches, or a high rod lift and back down to the bottom - just like Kaveman describes!

I fish jigs 60g and above on slow jig rod with an overhead reel, and fish vertically in deeper water. 

Both methods are devastatingly effective. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 9:04am
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Here is something i found to blow all the standard thinking out of the water from my last trip.  Fishing in 52m out of Raglan at anchor we were catching snapper 2 at a time on ledger rigs as you do out there.

Thought i'd drop the micro jig down and see how it goes. 

Drop to bottom and work it up with a slow mechanical jig action about 15m up boom fish on. Up pops a massive west coast whopper gurnard.  Drop down again and repeated. 

Thought hmm since the gurnard are hitting i'll just work the bottom with little twitches.  Boom snapper.  Try again snapper.  Wanting to catch a few gurnard i go back to the original method of fishing up and boom gurnard.  repeated another half a dozen times.  

On this day the gurnard were hitting up 15m and the snapper were hard on the bottom.  So what i'm taking a long time to say is there are no one answer to the magic method every day is different. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:01am
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by GSPOT GSPOT wrote:

Here is something i found to blow all the standard thinking out of the water from my last trip.  Fishing in 52m out of Raglan at anchor we were catching snapper 2 at a time on ledger rigs as you do out there.

Drop to bottom and work it up with a slow mechanical jig action about 15m up boom fish on. Up pops a massive west coast whopper gurnard.  Drop down again and repeated. 

Thought hmm since the gurnard are hitting i'll just work the bottom with little twitches.  Boom snapper.  Try again snapper.  Wanting to catch a few gurnard i go back to the original method of fishing up and boom gurnard.  repeated another half a dozen times.  

On this day the gurnard were hitting up 15m and the snapper were hard on the bottom.  So what i'm taking a long time to say is there are no one answer to the magic method every day is different. 

Dead right there Gspot,  as long as the jig is in he water , it will catch fish.  Wont catch fish in the tackle boxLOL

PS  i always hear though that "jigs dont work on west coast"LOL, funny because they are the same fish.
Bait maybe better on west coast but jigs definately work too
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Marknado4000 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 10:31am
Marknado4000 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

They definitely eat jigs, and weeds out all the sharks. Just takes a little longer to find the fish with the lack of terrain.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 12:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Dead right there Gspot,  as long as the jig is in he water , it will catch fish.  Wont catch fish in the tackle boxLOL

PS  i always hear though that "jigs dont work on west coast"LOL, funny because they are the same fish.

Jigs work very well out west, I use them often, can't say I've ever caught a gurnard 15m off the bottom, that's impressive. We fish jigs from an anchored boat.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RaggedJoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:39pm
RaggedJoe View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

How do you fish micro jigs from an anchored boat, straight down or cast and retrieve?

My crew prefers bait and berley, so we are usually anchored. The odd time I have flicked a jig down, I've had no joy at all.

(They slayed the kahawai on the surface on Monday though...)
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:55pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Out deep 40+m  i just drop it over.  In Shallow if anchored and mates are fishing bait i cast softbaits in the lightest weight to get to the bottom.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote GSPOT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Dec 2017 at 1:57pm
GSPOT View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by kaveman kaveman wrote:

Jigs work very well out west, I use them often, can't say I've ever caught a gurnard 15m off the bottom, that's impressive. We fish jigs from an anchored boat.

Can't say I have caught them this high off the bottom before as well.  i was not complaining as they were big tastey gurnards.