Leader length for stickbaiting off the rocks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rykk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Leader length for stickbaiting off the rocks
    Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 5:40pm
rykk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi folks! New to the forums (and relatively new to NZ fishing). Have put together a stickbait rig for Far North Kingis (off rocks and boat) - Saragosa 14000 on a Mazumi (by shimano) 8'-6" top water rod. Reel came preloaded with 80lb spectra. Picked up some Saltiga 170lb leader and some nice sticks, including OTL 130 chop blackjack.

My question is how much leader should I run? Going on trip up to the cape this Friday and want to get set. Guessing that I should be running a longer leader off rocks to improve landing chances (assuming I get a hook up!). Have done a couple trips up that way live baiting and straylining for snapper and know how rough the swells get. Having enough leader to get a wrap to land is important. Also, enough leader to help protect from break offs and keep my OTL attached! Of course I know much of that is technique and hard pressure to keep the fish from diving.

Any advice is welcome!

rykk
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Feb 2024 at 5:52pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Not an expert and I'm not sure what other people do, but I have my leader long enough that the FG knot is just off the spool for casting. Knots on spools on casting rods is asking for trouble. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 7:50am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I agree with MB. 
But if you have Instagram I would ask JE (Joe) Wilds or Muzza Murray Wootten. They both have YouTube channels which feature them regularly doing exactly what you are talking about, fishing stickbaits off North Cape-Spirits landbased. I suspect, if you're using Joe Wilds' favourite lure, you may have watched them too!
From what I've seen, they have the stickbait a good couple of metres from the rod tip when they cast - and given the rod Joe Wilds uses is 9ft, I think, MB's recommendation would mean you have a leader of about 4m. I don't think an extra metre or so wound on the reel would be critical, and cause more issues than it would solve.
Sure, it's tiger country, but high line angles from a long rod seem to negate some of the braid on rocks issues.
The other thing I'd say, is having watched endless vids (dreaming!) filmed around Coro and Far North, almost all hits happen within a few metres of the rocks - not at the very extent of the cast. I guess that makes sense, as kingies would be cruising the weed line trying to trap any bait - and that tallies with my observations off the rocks.  So I'd angle my casts more along the coast than straight out.

Good luck. It looks like hours of casting at times, for a moment of incredible action that makes the toil worth it!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote rykk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Feb 2024 at 10:59am
rykk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks! Yes, vids by Joe and Muzza have definitely influenced my passion and direction! I am lucky enough to live 1.5 hr drive to Reinga, making day trips possible. I have reached out to both on instagram with the question, but the advice so far is sound! I plan to try my luck tomorrow.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote rykk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 5:31pm
rykk View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Quick update - went with about 4m leader. Fished the rock shelf at the point just west of Tapotupotu Bay. Caught my first LBG kingi! It was only 74cm, so I took some pics and let him go. I first saw it checking my OTL blackjack lure about 3m from shore - 2 more casts and it hit. Super exciting! Gear performed perfectly once I tightened drag. Managed to land ok by myself. Can't wait for the next one!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 7:10pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Great work, mate. Congrats on giving it a go, and getting rewarded for your efforts. Any kingie off the rocks is a big achievement.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 8:38pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Excellent!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 Mar 2024 at 9:05pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by rykk rykk wrote:

Quick update - went with about 4m leader. Fished the rock shelf at the point just west of Tapotupotu Bay. Caught my first LBG kingi! It was only 74cm, so I took some pics and let him go. I first saw it checking my OTL blackjack lure about 3m from shore - 2 more casts and it hit. Super exciting! Gear performed perfectly once I tightened drag. Managed to land ok by myself. Can't wait for the next one!

Looks like you're doing everything right. Well done.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street