Knife sharpeners

Page  <123
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2026 at 2:54pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja
Avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Location: Te Toro
Status: Offline
Points: 33850
The warthogs are good, I've used one but wanted something a little more heavy duty to use on other stuff.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2026 at 6:05pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Northland
Status: Offline
Points: 6043
As I've said a few times before:

- If you have skills: whetstone
- If you want to ruin your blade: cheap electric knife sharpener
- If you have money: Scary Sharp or Work Sharp
- If you are a masochist: Lansky
- None of the above: Warthog
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2026 at 6:16pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja
Avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Location: Te Toro
Status: Offline
Points: 33850
Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

As I've said a few times before:

- If you have skills: whetstone
- If you want to ruin your blade: cheap electric knife sharpener
- If you have money: Scary Sharp or Work Sharp
- If you are a masochist: Lansky
- None of the above: Warthog

I think that is the best knife sharpening post I've seen! Warthog certainly tick a few boxes. Pretty happy with the Sharpall but aintaining that angle is my weak point.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jun 2026 at 9:18pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 08 Jan 2016
Location: Northland
Status: Offline
Points: 6043
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

I think that is the best knife sharpening post I've seen! Warthog certainly tick a few boxes. Pretty happy with the Sharpall but aintaining that angle is my weak point.

Thanks, I've been through all of those apart from the expensive ones.

Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2026 at 3:34pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 4211
Here’s another copy one that looks like the ones you’re looking at.

https://ruralbutcher.co.nz/product/easysharpe-blade-sharpener-kit/
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2026 at 5:27pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium
Avatar

Joined: 27 Nov 2019
Location: papakura
Status: Offline
Points: 4179
Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

As I've said a few times before:

- If you have skills: whetstone
- If you want to ruin your blade: cheap electric knife sharpener
- If you have money: Scary Sharp or Work Sharp
- If you are a masochist: Lansky
- None of the above: Warthog

I think that is the best knife sharpening post I've seen! Warthog certainly tick a few boxes. Pretty happy with the Sharpall but aintaining that angle is my weak point.
I see you liked Jason Abbot?? on FB knife sharpening,gave it a go today and worked well,angle knife on stone so no gap,3 rubs each side and a quick run down the steel. Impressed,pity he doesnt leave skin on gurnard.
"Times up"
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Jul 2026 at 6:26pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium


Joined: 16 Apr 2012
Status: Offline
Points: 4211
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote honestbruce Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 hours 44 minutes ago at 6:15pm
honestbruce View Drop Down
Silver
Silver


Joined: 22 May 2005
Status: Offline
Points: 243
For the people that like to do a little research. Jason Abott runs the filliting at Manganui Fish Shop. Hes on Facebook with his videos. Now Ive seen a lot of filliting videos before and not are his videos and really goog he introduced me to F.Dick knife steels and Dickoron same product. I have to state what I thought about knife steels is not where he is at. He used a 4 sided one that is polished on 2x sides and sharpens on the other two sides. Effectivly 2x steels in one. I asked the local butcher what he uses and its F.Dick, never heard of them before but thats what Jason Abbot uses. If you look really really carefully in some videos he doesn the old swish shish on the steel like we all do but then he rolls it in his hand and uses the other edge. Took his advice went on Trademe and found a bunch of surplus butchers items including a near new steel, It was the 2 sided one but had the polished steel finish unlike a normal steel that has groves longwise. Now I tell you with a wetstone and or oilstone( you need to get the grit right for what you are doing) The polished steel F.Dick made in Germany brings you to another level. Went through all the posts and generally no one talks about steels. Retail they are about $250 which is a decent chunk, my 2nd hand one by the time I sold all the items I purchased in my deal, only cost $40 and I got a free Victory boning knife to use as a bonus. Have a look, made in Germany and are next level.
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 49 minutes ago at 8:10pm
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum


Joined: 23 Dec 2021
Location: Riverton
Status: Offline
Points: 1032
F Dick steels were the jewel/tool to have when I was a freezing worker in 1985 , pleased to hear they are still popular . My nephew has mine now . Smile
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time
Back to Top
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 8 hours 6 minutes ago at 8:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja
Avatar

Joined: 17 Jul 2002
Location: Te Toro
Status: Offline
Points: 33850
I'm a big fan of Jason Abbot. A real down to earth approach. My son is a butcher and can put a mean edge on a knife - way better than me. I do ok with my knife sharpening but I'm not in the same league as Jason or my son Scotty. So many people think they have the goods but yeah nah.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Back to Top
Page  <123
Forum Jump
Forum Permissions View Drop Down


This page was generated in 0.281 seconds.

Fishing Reports Visit Reports

Saltwater Fishing Reports
Outer Hauraki Gulf Fishing Report 17/09/26

Spring wind the handbrake. Spring is starting to make its presence felt in the outer... Read More >

17 Sep 2026
Saltwater Fishing Reports
Top of the South Fishing Report - 17/09/26

Early snapper in Tasman Bay. Well, spring is finally here, and the days are getting... Read More >

17 Sep 2026
Saltwater Fishing Reports
Bream Bay Fishing Report - 17/09/26

Good snapper catches reported. After Tangaroa turned off the fish tap for a month or... Read More >

17 Sep 2026
Saltwater Fishing Reports
Bay of Islands Fishing Report - 17/09/26

Pacific bluefin tuna for the lucky few. The last fortnight has seen more fishable days... Read More >

17 Sep 2026
Fishing bite times Fishing bite times

Major Bites

Minor Bites

Major Bites

Minor Bites