fg knot distortion question ?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote accurate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: fg knot distortion question ?
    Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 10:37pm
accurate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

i know a lot of questions have been put out there in regards to tying the fg knot but i couldn't find any old threads relating to tied knots.
i have been using the fg knot for a while now and they have been testing well and seem to last well. i was just wondering if it is normal for them to distort a little after being loaded up at the point where you change from the cross weave into your locking knot ? i am using 2 opposite half hitches to lock after the weave and then set the knot to bite into mono, followed by remaining hitches to finish and complete it with uni. 

these are tied with 40lb jinkai mono and 30lb bionic braid and test beyond 15kg+ easily, any input from fishers using the fg would be greatly appreciated, thanks

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Jun 2012 at 11:03pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip it's normal for me...Not all FG's I tie do it but the majority do. The criss-cross of the braid causes the mono to kink like that which is a good thing as you know it is locking the mono. 
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 5:57am
PoppinTonga View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

As Sam said, this is normal.  Proof that it is biting into the mono.  I don't see it all the time either.  Just when the crosses are a bit loose.  

Do you ever find your uni finish coming undone?  I used to use that on my braid bimini knots and it always came undone, so I quit using it.  I do not use it with the FG.
Tis better to have hooked and lost than never to have hooked at all.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 10:19am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Poppin-Do you ever find your uni finish coming undone?  I used to use that on my braid bimini knots and it always came undone, so I quit using it. 
Do you put the last turn in between the lines?I have never had one come undone doing that.5 turns with 5th turn in between the lines.Do try it.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Jun 2012 at 12:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

Laidbackdood - I sat here thinking and could not figure out what you meant.  Then I pulled out a spool and tied the bimini and I think I got it.  Do you mean between the two legs of the bimini loop?

Sorry for the short hijack Accurate
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 12:48am
Titanium
Titanium

Poppin=YESWink
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Jun 2012 at 1:13am
Titanium
Titanium

Sorry for the brief hijack of the thread but this is purely for poppins benefit=
first pic shows half hitch around one leg...second pic shows 3 turns around both strands of braid on one leg and the last turn goes between the two strands of the braid..i usually do 4 turns and the last turn in between the two strands(no need to cut very short tag end)..hope this helps you=

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote accurate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jun 2012 at 7:25pm
accurate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

no problems, i have never had any problem with the uni coming loose on my fg. 
with the bimini/uni i use a similar method as used by lbd and havent had any problems with this either. 

thanks for the info in regards to the fg knot, much appreciated and interesting to see what results other anglers are getting.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote PoppinTonga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Jun 2012 at 7:22am
Bronze
Bronze

Super, thanks LBD and accurate.  That is how I will do it from now on.  Used to drive me mad that thing coming undone.  I used to finish with a series of half hitches.