which stickbait rod ??

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote accurate Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: which stickbait rod ??
    Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 5:14pm
accurate View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I am looking at purchasing a new rod for working stick baits, I will be using a stella 10,000 and I will mostly be fishing larger baits 100g and upwards for kings and hoping to chase a few gt's. What rods are proving to be the go to choices at the moment ?, I don't really have a budget to stick to. Im after a few opinions from guys that are using them as you cant really get a feel on the shop floor for what they are really going to be like. Thanks.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 6:06pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

For 100-160 gr stickbaits and lightish poppers a good all round rod would be Carpenters Endless Passion 85/36 . Made for ease of casting and I find has a real good control of stickbaits in that range . There is also the BLC 83/40 which is very popular . Where are you based ?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 6:53pm
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

"There is also the BLC 83/40 which is very popular" this would be the best choice imho if you can afford just over a grand...if cheaper...shimano caranx catuba Pencil instrument seems to be a popular first choice(more budget) but so many have carpenters now...must be good and thats a nice reel too.
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ReelAppealLures Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 Oct 2011 at 8:54pm
ReelAppealLures View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by accurate accurate wrote:

I am looking at purchasing a new rod for working stick baits, I will be using a stella 10,000 and I will mostly be fishing larger baits 100g and upwards for kings and hoping to chase a few gt's. What rods are proving to be the go to choices at the moment ?, I don't really have a budget to stick to. Im after a few opinions from guys that are using them as you cant really get a feel on the shop floor for what they are really going to be like. Thanks.

Look no further than our very own "Synit" my friend...

Who else can make you a rod that enables you to fish two tip sections, one for stick baits and one for popping. NZ made, can't beat that.
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Reel-Appeal-Lures/300309486704362
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote carlostairua Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:14am
carlostairua View Drop Down
Moderator - Brown Belt
Moderator - Brown Belt

Have had a shimano caranx for the last year, good rods if you're on a budget but just stepped up to carpenter blue chaser and can see now what all the fuss is about.  blooded yesterday on a 23kg king, beauuuuutiful 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Accident Prone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:10pm
Accident Prone View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Synit Topshot 76MH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote strike.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 7:55pm
strike.nz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Originally posted by Accident Prone Accident Prone wrote:

Synit Topshot 76MH
hey have ya got a link to info for this rod mate? thanks heaps.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Aaron32987 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 8:30pm
Aaron32987 View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Blue chaser 83/40, magic! Works the carpenter gamma lures so well.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ginga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 10:12pm
ginga View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Aaron32987 Aaron32987 wrote:

Blue chaser 83/40, magic! Works the carpenter gamma lures so well.
Like he said
www.extremesportfishing.co.nz.
Agent for Carpenter, Orion and ASWB products

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 Oct 2011 at 11:15pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

have the new JM Surface Assassin stickbait rods arriving next week.  Details unavailable at the mo but look out for an announcement next week. 
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 12:09am
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I like to suggest you look at the PowerJIg stick bait rods from GoFish. Best rod for its moneys worth.

PS. if someone gives you an advice what to use.. ask them if they had own/use them before taking note. In which above I did.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 8:28am
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Defintiley a Fisherman 76GTR-S for casting Sitckbaits to GT's like I will be in ummm,13 Days!LOLLOL
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote stellajigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 9:09am
stellajigger View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yip Falco's weapon is the bomb but finding one could be a problem.
The Carpenter and Ripple Fisher range is worth looking at seriously
Live Bait , the Lance Armstrong of catching KINGFISH
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote laidbackdood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 9:46am
laidbackdood View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kenshin Kenshin wrote:

I like to suggest you look at the PowerJIg stick bait rods from GoFish. Best rod for its moneys worth.

PS. if someone gives you an advice what to use.. ask them if they had own/use them before taking note. In which above I did.
Nice English ArielLOLLOLLOL
Once the idiots turn up..Im outta here...No time for Drama Queens.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote daveo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 9:49am
daveo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah its about as good as his advice....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Elpescador Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:48am
Elpescador View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

FFS not everyone can afford a $1200+ rod, and believe it or not there are other options that work!!!Ying Yang 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 11:56am
cod View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

my mate graham uses a gt special on gts in aussie hes managed over 200 now on that rod with 6 over 40kgs.so you dont always need the most expensive rod. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Falco Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 2:07pm
Falco View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Elpescador Elpescador wrote:

FFS not everyone can afford a $1200+ rod, and believe it or not there are other options that work!!!Ying Yang 

Dont slam your head onto your computer about it LOL,the original posters question..

quote " I don't really have a budget to stick to. Im after a few opinions from guys that are using them as you cant really get a feel on the shop floor for what they are really going to be like. Thanks.

Personally I would recommend the kabitsu level rod for a newbie weekend warrior that fish's ocasionally or is learning as it is good gear..but some people want the best gear from the out set,you only have to look at the high turn over of unused high end gear in the for sale section to know that!
as dead as dead is
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nomad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 4:14pm
Nomad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Ripple Fisher Ultimo 79MH, I have one on my boat as a demo rod, one of the best rods I have used, very light to cast with all day, nice soft tip for working baits and is very easy on the angler when fighting a fish.
    Ben Pokaia
<a href="http://www.nomadsportfishing.co.nz">
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote andrem Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 Oct 2011 at 7:01pm
andrem View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Thing about the blue chasers are they are SPECIFICALLY designed for fighting NZ kingfish, and they absolutely excel at it as people will start to discover when more and more get out there. They are also designed by one of the best lure designers and manufacturers in the world and work his lures like nothing else. The lures and rods continue to catch the most fish on my boat trip after trip. We spend time casting others, go back to a carpenter and wham.

When the kings are on you will catch them on a broom stick and a spoon but it's the hard days where the top end stuff earns it's money.

If you can afford it get the blue chaser for NZ kingfish. If you plan to do other trips overseas etc and can only afford one rod and plan to do ALOT of popper fishing then maybe something else
Rehab
Page  12>