Wellington Boat Fishing

Page  123 793>
 Rating: Topic Rating: 6 Votes, Average 4.00  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Wellington Boat Fishing
    Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:29pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi Guys,
Had to start it sooner or later, this is for the wellington boat fishers.
Show us your catch!
Show us your Boat!
Get the latest updates from the rest of the wellington boat goers out there.
Where's hot at the moment?
Whats everyone using, jigging for kings, trolling for Alby's, big baits for huge snapper?
Puka at the trench, 78, hunters?
Snapper in the harbour?
Massive blue cod out the Cook Strait?

Have Heard a lot happen out west coast with a lot of good sized snapper caught from pukerua bay down to verns.
Have also seen some good Kings been taken near kapiti on Jigs.
News of high water temps bringing in good albacore getting caught around the back of Kapiti and also Mana.
I've been out the Cook Strait catching good sized Blue cod.

Post your updates i'm sure this forum could take off.

Winners never quit and quitters never win.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:51pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good call mate, about time we had a thread running. we'll see how long it runs. ok, here's my boat Euro 4.2
its got a 50 horse merc on the back. 4mm hull. i'm based in eastern suburbs, so spoilt for choice on ramps. takes me to trench, harbour, mana or kapiti. i've found snapper hard going out west TBH, bluenose has been good in last few months so has tarakihi. west coast kings are there of course but so are the coutta! also crawling with tuna. don't forget the harbour, this was thursday morning
jigger at heart, but love to fish for the table and i'm obsessed with bluenose/big tarakihi at the momentLOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 12:56pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Nice fish, where did you catch that?
Were you jigging?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:10pm
Raumatibeach View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice catches there Autofish.My boat hobie power skiff 15, been jigging a lot this season so far.

Havn't really hit the snapper very hard this season, we got our pb just before new years

New years day on Andys boat, the secret was in the surface burley I laid down twice,

Last saturday on my mate Toms boat

Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:15pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

good stuff their mate, is that top kingy out from mana?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:24pm
Platinum
Platinum

Kapiti, havn't fished Mana yet.
Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:27pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

how deep were you, I haven't had a chance to head out there yet but have heard its fishing well at the moment

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:35pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by AutoFish AutoFish wrote:

Nice fish, where did you catch that?
Were you jigging?

no, not jigging. it took a small bit of arrow squid meant for a tarakihi on a ledger in the harbour. hit on the drop...was only a small bugger about 85cm. next one will hopefully be on a mini popper on the softy rod so i can cross that off the list. plans afoot.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Bassman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:50pm
The Bassman View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Good call AutoFish.  Knowing I was going to be away just about every weekend I sold my Stabi389 in January while I wait for delivery of my new weapon - a Surtees 4.7 CC - which should be here in a week or so.  Hopefully the weather will stay settled so I can get cracking soon - I'm thinking that running-in revs should be just about a good Tuna trolling speed.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fissure Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:53pm
Fissure View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

speaking of tuna, i hope the southerly today doesn't piss them off
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snaffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 2:58pm
Snaffa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Like the look of this topic! Hopefully it gets a little momentum and keeps going. I've been lurking on these forums for quite a while now and its been a pretty good source of info for me however it would be awesome to get some more wellington focused news and tips etc...

About me...

Pretty much a noob to fishing ,boats and wellington! The cresta craft is my first proper boat (had a fling with a small inflatable for a while but that didnt last) and we've been doing ok on her. Mainly out in the harbour and getting just enough for a feed. So far we've only been using the smelly stuff and always use berley on the bottom. We've had relative success with some cod, terris and the odd trev.

Alway happy to catch dinner but id love to get into some kingfish just not sure when,where and how... Advice would be appreciated

Anyway thats enough for now - heres the rig...

Cresta Craft 4.9 Lates 80's hull in prestine condition with a 2001 135HP Johnson ocean pro.

The boat and a couple of the boys getting amongst it....

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 3:25pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

not a bad trev and good sized cod for the harbour mate, where abouts do you usually tend to go in the harbour, have you ever gone out the heads and around to fitzroy, its not too far and you get some good cod and terr's out there

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snaffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 3:38pm
Snaffa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

tried all sorts really - seatoun way has generally done ok for us. We recently went out to airport reef (or thereabouts) and got into some decent cod's. Havent ventured to much further but keen to give it a go - got some co-ords from Pete Lamb for baring head and 5-mile reef but havent gone yet. What conditions are best for south coast fishing? 

What sort of depth should be looking for at fitzroy?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:03pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

for lurking around mana bridge and pukera bay when its too dark and scary in the yak..

and it works

Its a Kayak Thing...You wouldn't understand!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AutoFish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:30pm
AutoFish View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by Snaffa Snaffa wrote:

tried all sorts really - seatoun way has generally done ok for us. We recently went out to airport reef (or thereabouts) and got into some decent cod's. Havent ventured to much further but keen to give it a go - got some co-ords from Pete Lamb for baring head and 5-mile reef but havent gone yet. What conditions are best for south coast fishing? 

What sort of depth should be looking for at fitzroy?

i've fished a range from 20 to 60m out fitzroy. we were out last saturday, started by anchoring up in 30m but not much luck and the sharks started coming in so we moved out to 52m and just tried drifting and found a good patch of huge 45cm plus cod in a hole and just marked that spot and just kept going back and drifting over the spot again, we found that as soon as you passed that spot the sharks were all that you were catching. There wasn't much current at the time we were fishing which was good so our lines were going straight down, but i think it was slack tide. i'd be taking my sea anchor next time.
I think i may have petes baring head gps mark, if its the same as what i've got then thats around 50m and was very close to where we were fishing.
weather wise for fishing out there you want a very light northerly, better yet no wind at all. It can get very lumpy out there and when you have a southerly come in it can make the trip back to seaview take awhile. but don't be afraid of going out there, its well worth the trip, sometimes when we leave the harbour in the morning it can be a little lumpy in the harbour but even better out around the corner.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JordanM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 4:35pm
JordanM View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Nice nodrog, what is she? Beut fish btw
"size doesnt matter" tell that to the fisheries!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote nodrog Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 5:26pm
nodrog View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

hi Jordan, she's a 3.1m quicksilver with a fibreglass bottom, 5hp 4-stroke honda. Quiet and uses b.a. gas. Won't plane with me on board, but goes fast enough to troll rapalas and arrive in time, if i leave early enough
Its a Kayak Thing...You wouldn't understand!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Raumatibeach Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 6:19pm
Platinum
Platinum

I wonder if we could organise a snake fishing cull..... er I mean comp to raise money for the Christchurch red cross appeal?Wire traces, shiney jigs, biggest snake wins.
Get off my lawn....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote michael29973 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 6:35pm
michael29973 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Good thread! Have definatly seen a few of them boats around. We have just an old fyran 440 with a 40hp suzuki on her, not the most flash boat but does the job.
few pics:
cheers, mike

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snaffa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Feb 2011 at 7:19pm
Snaffa View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

certainly does do the job Mike! Some nice fish there... where do you normally go?
Page  123 793>