POPPER/STICK B8 RODS FOR NZ

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Saltiga Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: POPPER/STICK B8 RODS FOR NZ
    Posted: 18 May 2010 at 5:58pm
Saltiga View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Right looking for a new popper rod to flick stick baits and poppers around the place,

what are your thoughts, didnt really find much in other posts, i had a play with a  GT86 today and a shimano something, and have fished the xzoga that mozza had, but whats your thoughts on rods,

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:23pm
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Slower action required for Stick baits Sam. look at the Carpenter or the new Tuna Stick Bait rods from Synit.
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mozz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 6:53pm
mozz View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

make me an offer for that xzoga bro. otherwise I am sending home a 100g and a 200g popper rod built on smiths blanks I could be tempted to flick
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 May 2010 at 9:12pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Hots Gipang 79XH  (short twitching special)Winkbut be prepared to pay  way over 1k 
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lance@driveline.co.nz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 7:43pm
[email protected] View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Im in the market for a Poper/Stick Rod myself and the choices seem endless.

Can someone point ot the difference between a popper and stickbate rod

Is there a cross over rodd out there or am I realitically looking at two setups to run either a popper or stick bait :)

PS there are only so many rods im allowed !
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaveman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:44pm
kaveman View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Lance... Ripple Fisher make a great cross over stick for popping/stickbaits. Called a GT79R
www.kavemantackle.co.nz
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 8:52pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Man, I wish you guys could see the popper rods Kilwell are making for export. They are so very very nice, I have been playing with them in the Sols for the last 18mnths or so, just awesome. Same sort of technology as the high-end jig rods they are making now.

I have mine modified slightly for shorter rod butts as i like to have the rod butt ending at around my elbow when holding it in my casting hand so it doesn't dig in the ribs or catch sleeves or anything. That one pictured there is the lighter (20lb) set they let me try.
Just an awesome rod.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Jun 2010 at 9:06pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

I cannot afford those expensive rods so i fish with a cheap Pioneer GT Striker 7'3 and caught GTs up to 32kg.Not bad for a $55 rod and cheap aussie Trade Me braid.Can't post photo but as soon as i have enough posts i will.Those rods are really strong and i cast 150 to 200 gram poppers with ease.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 5:47pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

check out the Jigging Master Monster GT 79 special.  Hellishly tough and reasonably priced around $850.
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 6:06pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

just a question here, but what is or was wrong with the rods we used only a few years back? the Diawa 80j comes to mind as do the Kilwells and the original butterworth Jig king, like I said just a question.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Boulder Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 6:14pm
Boulder View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I have never been lucky enough to own a butterworth but have had the others you mention. difference,s as I remember it is you get a huge longer cast out of the new purpose designed rods and that stiffness also helps when you work the stickbait. The 80J in particular would IMHO be a little soft in the tip to impart the correct action. Fine for pitch and heaving poppers with a steady rate of return

Just what I have seen and felt after quite a few trips with guys that seem to know what they are doing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Photofisha Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 6:24pm
Photofisha View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by saffayakker saffayakker wrote:

I cannot afford those expensive rods so i fish with a cheap Pioneer GT Striker 7'3 and caught GTs up to 32kg.Not bad for a $55 rod and cheap aussie Trade Me braid.Can't post photo but as soon as i have enough posts i will.Those rods are really strong and i cast 150 to 200 gram poppers with ease.

Hey mate i've got that same cheap rod but don't have a reel for it yet.
What did you end up putting on yours?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 9:04pm
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

just a question here, but what is or was wrong with the rods we used only a few years back? the Diawa 80j comes to mind as do the Kilwells and the original butterworth Jig king, like I said just a question.

I have used a butterworth jig king, a great rod. A good analogy might be looking at what can be achieved with a 4/0 reel these days. Nothing wrong with the old 4/0 penn reels just advancements in knowledge and technology have made modern size 4/0 reels a better reel.
"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ChrisW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 9:04pm
ChrisW View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Originally posted by Blue Asparagus Blue Asparagus wrote:

Nothing really wrong with the old gear, people are always looking for  rods that -
  • lighter because you pop ALL DAY.
  • cast further
  • work the popper/stickbait better

there is always a development stage in getting tooled up for a different fishing form.  Take a look at the jigging rods and reels and how far they have come in just 3 -4 years.  Take a look at youself and the tackle you have brought since you started jigging.  If you thought that was unbelieveable progress then be prepared for even more because popping is even more addictive and definately more expensive.

Popping at the highest level is targetting GT's, Tuna and billfish exceeding 100kg.   The gear needs to be good enough to cast giant 200g lures and tough enough to land VW sized reef donkeys.
This is blue water angling at a very high level.  We are very fortunate having a decent Marlin fishery where we can tease them up enough to throw a lure at them.  It will be done, and sooner than later.  Could be your next challenge BA Thumbs Up    
give it death!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Blue Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Jun 2010 at 9:24pm
Blue Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

cheers guys, yeah a challenge it will be, will have a look at these new rods etc and go from there next challenge is a sword on the fin-nor, prep done waiting on a weather window and a dedicated crew 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ET487 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Jun 2010 at 9:28pm
ET487 View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Originally posted by Photofisha Photofisha wrote:

Originally posted by saffayakker saffayakker wrote:

Hey mate i've got that same cheap rod but don't have a reel for it yet.
What did you end up putting on yours?
I use a Daiwa Sealine Bull at the moment, but it is abit too heavy.Looking at a Fin-Nor at the moment either 5500 or 6500 loaded with 30 0r 40 lb braid.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Jun 2010 at 9:52pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

SaffaYakker, Google Daiwa exceller 6000 size, they look like a an extremely good value reel....

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote LBGer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Jun 2010 at 9:29pm
LBGer View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

A king on the bricks is worth 5 in a boat.