Snell knots

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Snell knots
    Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 3:54pm
pknz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is there anything wrong with using the snell knot to attach multiple hooks to a trace? (For beach/rock fishing)

Something along the lines of this:

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 6:54am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nope, nothing wrong with that at all, in fact it is a very common practice for whole pilchards and larger baits.

Snelling is where the trace is tied around the shank of the hook rather than just through the eye although you would usually (always?) put the line through the eye when snelling. I keep the two hooks quite close together when fishing with pilchards or squid, done properly your baits will stay straight rather then bunching up as they would if only the bottom hook is tied on.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 7:56am
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The added benefit of snelling the hooks onto the line is that it is an IGFA legal rig, whereas having a sliding keeper hook rig is not. So if you do happen to catch that trophy snapper or kingi, well then you can claim a record! :-) (I know, it is unlikely eh, but ya never know!) :-)
Snelling the hooks about an inch or two apart makes it a lot easier to present a "swimming" deadbait.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pknz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 8:39am
pknz View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Cool, can it also be used for small baits. So each hook (with a greater distance between each) has its own bait?

And, what is better, sinker above the hooks, or below the hooks?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Badfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 1:06pm
Badfish View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I always snell my keeper hook on. Not to make things confusing but for the bottom hook it depends on the hook's design. Some hooks aren't made to be pulled inline with the shank, which is what a the snell knot does. I might be a little picky here but the VMC hooks I use seem to be made so that the point of the hook is directly inline with the line when the pressure comes on, not inline with the shank. This is where I find the uni knot (or similar) better. I know it's only a matter of a 15deg or so but ever little thing I can get on myside the better I guess.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Mar 2010 at 9:22pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yes you can have a bait for each hook if you want. If that was my intention then I would tie or snell the bottom hook, tie a dropper 30cm or so above that for my second hook.

Typically for two snelled hooks the sinker would be above the hook, either direct onto the top hookor onto a swivel to which the trace with the two snelled hooks attached. Some people put a sinker between the two hooks.

I agree with what Badfish says (and you too Capt. A you never know when you may want to weigh a fish and trust me it will happen one day if you're keen enough). I like to get my hooks so there is a straight pull of the line on the hooks. The exception being recurve hooks, they work much better when the line is passed from the front of the hook so that they actually turn in towards the trace. easier to describe with pics but I'm on dial up ..... it is hell on earth but I digress.

In the case of a Gamakatsu Octopus hook, I would usually snell that so the hook shank is in line with the trace, a Gamakatsu Circle hook can be snelled or have a dropper passed through the front as it has an upturned eye, not a great feature of a recurve hook IMO yet those hooks are wicked, if they had a straight and bigger eye it would be ledger rig heaven.

Snelling an octopus or suicide style hook with an upturned eye is generally the best option because tying onto the eye results in the hook sitting at an odd angle to the line and those hell strikes some anglers are fond of will see the hook come whistling out of the fishes gob without touching the sides.

Hope that helps, it's one of my things that I stew on ...... hopefully I will get motivated enough to post some pics for you.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote whiti-fisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Mar 2010 at 5:07pm
whiti-fisho View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

The Captain is right ,there were so many people in the last Comp I fished a couple of weeks ago that had their fish Disqualified at the scales when they presented their rig .Having a running hook is a big no-no for comps or records .both hooks must be fixed and I'm not sure but I think there may even be a max distance between hooks 
Same deal with flasher rigs ,only two hooks allowed not three as you see them in the shops ,and cutting one off doesnt count either i'm told as they dont know when you did it 
I step out my door to paradise on earth
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Lethal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 5:47pm
Lethal View Drop Down
Rest In Peace
Rest In Peace

here are the reg's simplified...

Thanks for everything you did for us Eric. may you rest in peace, You were one of the real legends of NZ recreational fishing
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Thanks Lethal, it's a good summary that one. Just a reminder to all that the legality is only around competitions that fish to IGFA rules as Lethal posted earlier. For recreational fishers not fishing in comps, dont worry they wont arrest you for breaking those rules. Unless of course you use 26 hooks.Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Mar 2010 at 10:22pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Now that'd be a helluva gang-hook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Brooook Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 Mar 2010 at 7:12am
Brooook View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I snell tie all my hooks but wondered how you can tie it with enough line to tie another hook further down? Obviously there are different ways of tying the knot - my way uses some tricky finger looping over a small length of line sitting on the hook shank. Too long, and you can't loop the loops over it.

Like this:

Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day.............Teach a man to fish and he will sit in a boat all day drinking beer,
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Mar 2010 at 12:00am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Good question broook. What I do is snell the bottom hook on first using a uni knot. Then pass the trace up through the eye of the second hook, wrap the trace back down the shank of the second hook about 10 or 12 times then pass the end of the trace back up through the eye of the top hook. It is called a longline knot but it isnt a knot at all as it is just wrapped around the hook shank. It wont come off. If it did come loose the bottom hook would keep it on anyway. The beauty of this knot is you can position the top hook wherever you want and it wont move as you tighten it up.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 12:03pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Just picked up a book on tying basic knot from the warehouse $13,trying to google at sea with no glasses isnt working. So thought big print how wrong can I go. Knot the best knot tier but they hold

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 7:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Paul, that is one of my go to knots and it works well on both J and recurve hooks. You may remember the Steps vs Smudge debate hehe. It won't let you down.
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 Nov 2023 at 8:08pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yep great knot, good for setting up a 2 hook strayline rig.

I’ve got one of those books in my tackle bag where, a Christmas present from years ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Mc Tool Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2023 at 7:42am
Mc Tool View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Why  do both hooks have to be fixed to the line  to be IGFA legal  but not necessary for normal fishing . Dont get me wrong , I aint moaning  just interested in the rational behind it .
When I fish with "long " baits ( whole pillie for instance )  I leave the keeper hook running and do a half hitch round the tail.
As an aside , I been getting good bait from pac n save , whole free flow frozen pillies or sardines , sometimes Sanmar , cheaper by far than H&F. Another thing I do is buy whole frozen raw prawns for the stir fry  , whack the tail off for me and keep the rest for bait.
I wish I was young again .... Id be heaps smarter than this time