Popper's for GTs advice pls

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Popper's for GTs advice pls
    Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 5:38pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Hi all,

I'm off to Raro & Aitutaki end of next week and have been given the all clear for a session chucking poppers to GTs and to avoid paying lots for lost poppers to the charter op, thought I'd take my own

As a complete popper n00b what size(s) should be I taking with me?  and where/who in Auckland should I see to get these...

cheers

B

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nirai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Mar 2010 at 6:00pm
Nirai View Drop Down
Forum Sponsor
Forum Sponsor

Action Imports Poppers & Stick Baits available from leading tackle suppliers
www.actionimports.co.nz
150 gram+. Big Poppers = Big GTs the down side "big workout!!!"
"Gunrunner" Surtees 610 Game Fisher current
*"Double Barrel" Seacat 635 "Good Riddance!"
*"Seriola" Surtees 485 CC Retired with honours!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote hookerpuka Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 12:46pm
hookerpuka View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Check out the NOMAD poppers and stick baits at TC as well
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alitowers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 2:06pm
Alitowers View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

let us know how you get on and what charter your on, were there in 3 weeks too
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote 1more Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 2:48pm
1more View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

if you have the time and tools, maybe do up a few home-made poppers as well. hardware stores will have broomsticks or something heavier. Cut to size, drill for wire inserts with loop ends, single hook and theres your backup.

paint them white or leave bare. we did this a few times in Fiji just for fun or when pricey imports were hard to come by.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 4:56pm
Capt Asparagus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Go to Gourock NZ Ltd, 77B Patiki Street, Avondale. 09-820-8600
They have Yo-zuri Surface Bull GT poppers, which I think are the best you'll find. However, go to a good tackle shop somewhere and buy a packet of 4x strong or 5x strong if you can find them, 4/0 or 5/0 Owner treble hooks, as these are the best by far trebles we have here.
Also get a packet of big Owner split rings, and re-rig your Surface Bulls with these.
Grab a couple of Surface Bulls, and maybe one of the smaller new ones they have there. Also check out the River-2-sea lures, maybe a couple of the stickbaits may appeal to you.
Hope this helps,
cheers,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Mar 2010 at 11:08pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Thanks guys Didn't know of that store Stu, it's round the road from home so will have to have a squizz at some point.

Ended up near Yeehaa this afternoon so after talking with John ended up with a Yozuri Surface Bull popper & a Yozuri Stick bait & a big popper that needed hooks (didn't get the nameEmbarrassed) and got him to rig double up front, a single in the rear and ball swivel in the nose, all Owner, so I can own those GTs, get sore muscles and end the day with a huge smile on my dial

With luck I'll have a report in a couple of weeks

I do not lie about fishing, I willingly participate in a campaign of misinformation.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 9:11am
Titanium
Titanium

Saw the poppers as you posted them in the Walkabout forum...they look nice! I like the idea of the assist hooks on the lures, got to be stronger than relying on split-rings.... unless of course something like a dogtooth tuna comes along and nails your popper! :-)
Oh, one otehr thing, take along a few jigs, as you can jig up Doggies off Aitutaki, and the FADs are really close too, and you can use them out there too. Also if you find your way back to Yeehaas' (or gourocks), see if you can pick up a couple of bibless minnows (For trolling)

...as in the three (oops, 4) lures in the bottom left of the picture there. These are awesome lures for trolling for the wahoo, just 100m off the reef, but watch out for the sharks, you have barely a minute before the sharks will come for any fish you hook up on, so have gear suitable to really put the turps on them!
Oh, 5 bibless minnow there, sorry.
Gourocks aren't really a shop, they are a commercial fishing wholesaler that do some sales to the public (mostly but not exclusively commercial fishermen). If you want rope, commercial gear like bulk tuna lures, swivels etc etc, all sorts of stuff related to commercial fishing, then it is a great place to visit.
cheers,
Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Mar 2010 at 9:46am
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers for the info Stu, updated the above post with pics too.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 3:26pm
DLS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

What charter are you using in Aitutaki EditB?? 
GT surface bulls and nomads are the business. AI poppers also look the part.
Halcos and surecatch poppers are best value for money and still do the job.
Are you taking your own rod/reel etc?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 3:49pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Am going out with Mike on the Black Pearl and am planning on using his kit. Prob shoulda checked on his replacement costings before spending up on poppers as he only charges $20 a lure to replace... Embarrassed

Am toying with taking a rod and reel with me, apparently can cast around the wharf area, not 100% sure and haven't done any popping before. If I do take a rod/reel it'd prob be a 10' Kilwell Viking and 6500B...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 4:20pm
Titanium
Titanium

If taking a rod, take a light spinset, say 6lb fireline on a small spinset like for trout or somethnig, and a heap of small (2in) sps and 4-10gm jigs, silver for preference. These will get you all sorts of little fish along the beaches everywhere. If you are taking one rod, may as well take a couple so also take a 8-10kg spin set if you want somethnig a little bigger but not GT size, gotta go give one of the girls a driving lesson, cheers, Stu.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote DLS Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Mar 2010 at 6:10pm
DLS View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah $20 a lure is cheap and they'll work. Prob strike pros. But def take a couple others with decent hooks.
I got a few small (30-40cm) bluefin trevally of the main wharf on saphire shine softbaits casting out to the marker and retrieving. I reckon tiny poppers anywhere of the beach in the lagoon should work also (can be frustrating seeing big splashes while standing on the beach with no gear on you. Mainly trevs but scrap hard on light gear. Goodluck
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:08pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well there was f'all fish around, cyclone pat had put most of them down and the fishing has been hard since. Still went out on the charter (Black Pearl) and my wife managed an approx 10kg yellowfin tuna (kept) and I got an an est. 100kg bronzie (released) trolling in the early hours. no fish were to be found even after chasing the birds for several hours so moved on to the GTs and managed to feed both poppers to them! I stood no chance of stopping them even with the skipper motoring away from the reef, the coral did the line in still was good to feel the power of the buggers and next time I'll take much cheaper poppers and heavier line! the skipper Mike and his wife Mere made it an enjoyable outting despite the lack of landed fish

Also took a light spin set but unfortunately the rod had issues with the braid and casting was hit and miss. Managed to hook a couple of bluefin trevs just off the beaches and near the wharf, using sapphire shines. If you go, watch out for the tigerfish (look like leatherjackets with blue mouths) the nibble the crap outta ya softies... but there were plenty of trevs in amongst the coral
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Capt Asparagus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:42pm
Titanium
Titanium

BAd luck about the cyclone man, you want something that really gives fish lockjaw though, try fishing after an earthquake/tsunami. Had that in the Sollies this Xmas, fishing was hot before the EQ, afterwards, dead for a week! What a bugger, eh! :-)
Still now you have the GT bug, you'll be back I am sure....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote EditB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:44pm
EditB View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

yeah man, definitely some unfinished GT business there that's for sure! Might go when it's a little less hot tho, was around 40 and even the locals were complaining
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kenshin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Mar 2010 at 4:47pm
Kenshin View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good stuff Bro!! I bet the Mrs was stoked too... even w/o much fish Im jealous much.
Be patient and calm – for no one can catch fish in anger. –Herbert Hoover