Camera info required

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Camera info required
    Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 3:54pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well over Xmas we discovered that the family digital camera isn't compatible with a sniff of sand and salt water.

Now faced with getting a replacement. Looking back at our time with our current camera - a 5 - 6 year old Panasonic 3.2mp-

We liked the compact size
We disliked the way the flash was almost useless with a max range of approx 2 - 3 metres
We liked the point and shoot ease of use
Finally, we disliked that it was so vulnerable to moisture damage

I would like a replacement that doesn't cost a fortune, retains what we like, adds some more advanced features to allow us to play if desired all in a more rugged and waterproof housing to allow us to take it out on the boat and on the beach without worrying.

Rather than wade through screeds of reviews and research etc, I thought I'd ask the question on the off chance that someone here has been through the same process. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote kaituna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 4:01pm
kaituna View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Olympus Mu range. Most all are waterproof. still not much of a flash though. Around $500 for a good one. Canon G10 best quality but not water proof and costs $850.00. But it is a Camera a Pro would use as a back up for their DSLR.
MHO. Kaituna.
Its not what you look at, Its what you see....
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Hairy Little Dwarf Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 4:35pm
Hairy Little Dwarf View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Dick Smith have the Olympus mju1050sw on sale at the moment for $399.

Very nice camera, and waterproof to 3m, drop proof to 1.5m, 10MP

Just picked myself up one for the kayak.  Very impressed.

Offer ends 19th Jan.
The Dreaded Shark-Eating Man!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote mouthu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 7:42pm
mouthu View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Camera & camera in queen st opp wyndam st have some decent cameras with water proof housings for less than $300, or they did have before christmas. about 6Mp I think, was looking at getting one for using when I go fishing etc. Would cry if my decent camera had technical problems. The other camera shop almost next door had some good specials quite often too.

Or you could just buy a camera you like and buy one of these, waterproof camera case.
Yes it was me, I screwed it up for everyone.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 Jan 2009 at 7:42pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Cheers guys.

Appreciate it, may take a look at Dick Smith tomorrow!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Dagwood Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2009 at 1:56pm
Dagwood View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Bought the same Olympus 1050 SW as HLD mentioned and likewise, we are very impressed and would also recommend it.

Great value and we're already taking places that we wouldn't dream of taking our old camera.

Many thanks for the help - it saved some serious time.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote ThomasW Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2009 at 4:09pm
ThomasW View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This is no use to the original poster, but could be of interest to others.

Panasonic has recently announced a new rugged compact camera, it is called the DMC-TS1 (DMC-FT1).    Panasonoic cameras typically reviewed much better then comparable offering from Olympus and Pentax. Its good to see that they are now entering this market. Not on the market until April.

http://www.dpreview.com/news/0901/09012705panasonicft1.asp