Te Atatu Peninsula spot?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdamTeatatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Te Atatu Peninsula spot?
    Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 9:48am
AdamTeatatu View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, I've recently moved house right down the end of te atatu road, with a view of the water, and look out my window wondering if there is a fishable spot anywhere nearby! There seems to be a channel that runs through I was thinking maybe over by westharbour marina? Land based, as I dont have a boat, any recomendations would be much appreciated! Thanks in advance!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:12am
JonnyBlaze View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hey mate I grew up in Te Atatu at the end where your house is.  As a kid I caught heaps of sprats and piper at the sailing club.  You can also net or spear flounder and grey mullet around the mangroves.  Why not try catching a flounder on a baited hook?

We also used to take little boats and fish the channel edges and the flats for snapper and kahawai in the later summer months.  I have caught trevs almost right up to the motorway bridge and for a long time we targeted parore on mussel baits in that same area.  There are tons of them up there and they fight reasonably hard.  We would stand on the mud / greywacke mid tide and use really light ledger rigs on spinning gear.  Not the normal way people use to target them but was a deadly technique.

I have even seen kingfish chasing grey mullet on a cold winters morning too. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdamTeatatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:18am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Jonny! I right at the end so the sailing club is only about 40 metres from home! Would you hit the mudflats further up from the sailing club to target the trevs/parore? I have definately looked out a couple of calm days and seen baitfish leaping in the channel, maybe Kahawai on the chase? Or one of those kingis you have spotted!

Just flicking a ledger rig onto the flats at high tide be an okay way to have a go at the flounder you think?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:36am
Gold
Gold

Fish as light as possible for flounder.  The only flounder I have caught on a hook was foul hooked on a spinner.  There has been some discussion on the forum about caughting them on hook so I would suggest searching through. 
We also used to anchor close to the marina and geta few fish at the right timeof year.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdamTeatatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:41am
Bronze
Bronze

Great! Thanks for ya help, good to know theres a chance off hooking something so close to home.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote pennyless Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 11:43am
pennyless View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

buy yourself a kayak and get out thereWink. My son has caught snapper kahawai out there on his kayak normally after xmas. You also see the flounder boats come in and set there nets on the incoming tides.
The wife said if i go fishing one more time she will leave me, god i'm going to miss her
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 12:13pm
Gold
Gold

A kayak would be a good option.  Even just to paddle around observing.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Nathan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 12:25pm
Nathan View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Hi Jonny,

Had a couple of fishes (boat) out there in late last summer. Was surprised by the heap of bait fish there, and also plenty of pan size snapper. We would wait for the evening high tides and fish from dusk till about 11pm on the edge of the channels in 3-4 metres of water. There is definitely fish there. A kayak or dinghy is a good suggestion.

They use corn kernels for flounder dont they - samll hooks.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 Nov 2008 at 12:40pm
Gold
Gold

Thats the way to do it Nathan.  Alot of people fish the holes off Kauri Pt in the heavy current, but I always liked fishing the flats and edges.  They snapper certainly fight hard in shallow water, but you can fish very light tackle on the mud.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Na Fianna Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 12:52pm
Na Fianna View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yes a Kayak is the way to go there. Have gone out quite a few times and there are plenty of ky and pannies. I have found that if top of the tide coincides with dusk it is best and for some strange reason the flater the water the better. When its still and shallow a little burley attracts everything.You only need to paddle out about 500 meters. Have also cast sp's in towards the mangroves and been pleasantly surprised. I even caught my limit there one night. I go straight out from the ramp at the end of  I think its Beach Rd or Wharf Rd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdamTeatatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 12:55pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hi Na, there are ramps at the end of both the roads, the one at the end of wharf road is by the sailing club, do you head out there? And just burley up strait onto the mudflats? You dont need to cast into the deeper channel water or anything? Thanks for the advice!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote AdamTeatatu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 12:56pm
Bronze
Bronze

Actually the one by the sailing club is more down the end of Te atatu road, just round the corner, so maybe sounds like you are heading out off beach rd.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote SeaI Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 1:02pm
SeaI View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

is there access to the flats on the northern side - possible cast to the channel/edge on an incoming?
Kei uta ngā ika
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JonnyBlaze Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 Nov 2008 at 2:43pm
Gold
Gold

The northern end of Te Atatu has a mangrove forest that reaches out quite far.  The council have built a track / board walk that goes around the top but doesn’t come close to the channel.  On a side note we used to find heaps of Kauri gum at the end of beach road because they used to bring them down Henderson Creek.  You can also see an old mansion on that walk.  A friend of mine found an unexploded bomb once in the same area as there used to be a target range for the airforce just beyond the mangroves.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fishaholics Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Nov 2018 at 1:18am
Fishaholics View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi..eny luck im in teatatu myself keen to get owt for a fish..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Len style Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2018 at 1:40pm
Len style View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I wouldnt fish in the creek that runs from the marina down towards the concourse anytime soon.
Did you see the news last week?