Season that was..

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Season that was..
    Posted: 28 May 2023 at 8:42pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

So just put a post up on smoking meat, man I must be desperate, as pretty average on meat smoking though watch my brother doing chickens and pizzas real good on a big red egg thing he uses a lot. I can smoke fish ok.
But really wanted to put something up for end of game season to say how we went and why I still have the passion.
1) what a year, weather and roads made it hard to go, but water was warm and we’re some incredible days.
2) my season was basically split between fishing with best fishing mate Simon on his boat and then on my own boat with wife and later solo late season. I kept my perfect record with Simon as in no fish, but he still beat me getting two fish early down coro on consecutive days while I was at work. I still immensively enjoy my days fishing with Simon about 6 or 7 this year. We eat and drink well and being there with him and Trev is always great, even when marlin are scarce.
3) On my own little craft we got to help a young fella land a huge yellowfin early in season, after hooking a nice marlin ourselves on new lure off Brett earlier in the day. Same evening some young fellas ( neighbours where we were staying) tipped their 5.7m surtees off Brett and were rescued in well publicised event that made Herald. Glad we came in at around 5pm as did rough up.
4) Had 3 great days fishing with wife at Tuts… lost all the marlin: one blue and a big stripey, and then busted by likely black. Caught 6 big Mahis.. too much fish ….and a few we bought home made few parents and a neighbour sick. Rest were fine.
5) Had two very nice days late season (consecutive fridays) one solo and one with brother, both out of Leigh. Got and released first marlin in gulf for me (also solo on the first Friday) and it was a beauty. Saw some others, I like what is happening in gulf with marlin inside, where we would normally not consider fishing. 
6) Buggered a very nice everol reel on that last marlin but is being fixed by someone who made a problem with a reel seem relatively inconsequential to what has been a tricky but very rewarding season. Also got hydraulic steering courtesy of Brett’s Marine on my boat for last 2 days we did this season, which is a real game changer if by yourself, or just two of you…should of done it years ago.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 8:40am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Can I ask why the Mahi made people sick?

Not kept in hygienic conditions or something.
Very curious.....

Cool summary for the rest of the season though....Thumbs Up
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 May 2023 at 5:55pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

We had the Mahi on salt ice, but caught 2 on day one, (some gave away but kept few fillets) and caught another 4  on day two. We also fished day 3 came home day 4 and gave away some fish on day 5. Reckon some of day 1 fish may have gone to parents and one neighbour and they maybe left it another day to cook it.
Also those Mahi were chocka full of brown decomposing fish and squid in their stomach cavities . Will make sure stay out of that area in future. We replaced the salt twice twice while we were away and chilly bin was kept out of sun heat. We didn’t take out in boat but left it under in covered veranda in shade.  But salt ice still melted down a bit.
So I think combination of keeping fish too long before eaten and also perhaps bit of the stomach contents on the knife used for filleting may have contaminated a few fillets.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 8:11am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Interesting observation - thanks!

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 6:54pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Good summary Shane 👍
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote cirrus Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 8:44pm
cirrus View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Scombroid (histamine)  poisioning.??. Can be found in fish belonging to this grouping. Includes Mahi Mahi, tuna,trevelly,kahawai,kingfish,mackeral,anchovy, marlin ,and others belonging to the scombroid group of fishes.
To avoid possibility of this , fish mush be chilled,iced promptly and kept cold, and eaten in reasonable time.  When fish are not chilled properly or warm up for a period of time the histimines can develop with bacterial action and create the poisioning to consumers.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 May 2023 at 9:00pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Geoff,  still keen to come with you one day.
Thanks John for that elaboration.  We usually eat all Mahi we catch night we catch ‘em or next and  share among others in camp, .. this year there were fewer fisherman to share with and the Mahis we’re in abundance… and when bigger not an easy fish to release.
Simon during last trip we did this year demonstrated a nice release technique on Mahis where he unhooks them while still in water by punching the game hook out with a small gaff slid down line.
They are delicious eating though… but clearly need care re chilling and eaten in a reasonable time frame…  probably within 3 days to be safe and looked after on ice.