First boat Auckland

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote verga91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: First boat Auckland
    Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 4:56am
verga91 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all,
first of all thank you for letting me join this beautiful site, I've learned a lot during those years.
I apologize in advance if this topic it has been repeated many times, but after 5h search I still have a few doubts.

I'm after a small 4.5m boat, safe, dry ride, cruise with a mate for fishing around rangitoto, waiheke? Max 3ppl

Budget around 10k max but better less. I'll be towing it with a 2litre 4wd Suzuki SX4 (yeah I know not ideal but that's what I got).

I was looking for aluminum or plastic (lighter for my car) fyran, ramco 14ft, mac360 but wet ride.. seems a valid option, correct me if I'm wrong.. I'd love the fiberglass sea nymph v146 but is it too heavy for my little car?

What u guys reckon?
Cheers
Marco
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 2:32pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I have had 2 Fyran 440s, and heaps of fun and fishing. They would flt your requirements and you should be able to buy a reasonable one in your $10k budget. 
I looked at one last week for son (on TMe), but it went for $15k. But it had lots of bling - top end of price range.
The hulls are quite light - so check for corrosion or cracks (around where it sits on the rollers). If it all checks out, you will have a decent boat - light to tow and suitable for 3 POB.
Others may also be suitable - but this is what I have experience of.
Had them for maybe 20 yrs.
Alan

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 3:28pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

sea nymph v14 I would of thought 2l would tow it ok and being 4 wheel drive no issues on ramp
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote verga91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 Jan 2023 at 7:46pm
verga91 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Unlikely my car has a CVT transmission, plus is petrol, not diesel.. I don't think they are built for towing more than 400kg.
If anybody has this car and has tow a sea nymph or any fiberglass boat pls let me know 😆
How about sea nymph v13? Better than fyran 14ft?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jan 2023 at 7:36am
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

My first boat was a 4.6m tinny - and I'm still using the same boat 18 years later!

No idea where you live but I live on Auckland North Shore and my boat is quite sufficient for my needs and is ideal for the inner Hauraki Gulf. I am a fair weather boatie and choose my days to go out. I find that bigger boats want to go further out - costs more in petrol and doesn't get anymore fish than I get ......

I tow with a 2WD vehicle (rear wheel drive) and 90% of my launches are off the beach. The boat is light enough to push into the water by hand and I retrieve with a strop - the car doesn't go near the water.

My boat is used just for fishing so family cruising was not a consideration when buying. It's ideal for 2pob and have fished 3pob - but I only use lures so more than 2 people can get in the way. 

When I was looking, I realized the most important component was the motor - you can't push on water and there aren't any tow companies or mechanics on the water. I wouldn't suggest anything less than 40Hp. Other things can be added as you go.

15' tinny's are notoriously tippy so I added a set of Dolphin Aqualisers soon after I got the boat however I've since got used to moving about on the boat and seldom deploy them.

Joining Coastguard is a must - have never used and don't plan to but they're worth their weight in gold for peace of mind. Do yourself a favour and do the Day Skippers course when you join.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote verga91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 2:45am
verga91 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Thank u bro, yeah I'll be launching mainly in takapuna, narrow neck, or anyway the easiest boat ramp.. not sure which lol. But yeah definitely looking for more information.. I'd love the sea nymph 14.6, maybe il get that.. I wanna make sure not to make any mistakes:)
Cheers bro
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 6:00am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by verga91 verga91 wrote:

Unlikely my car has a CVT transmission, plus is petrol, not diesel.. I don't think they are built for towing more than 400kg.
If anybody has this car and has tow a sea nymph or any fiberglass boat pls let me know 😆
How about sea nymph v13? Better than fyran 14ft?
Had a v13 great little boats 2 max though,stable but 3?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:12am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I would have thought a small tiller-steer pontoon boat or cat would be just the ticket. Heaps of deck space and super stable. With an inshore boat, you're not going to worry about the ride too much, so it's a good trade-off. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote verga91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:25am
verga91 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

But what if my picky gf is hopping in?
Definitely has to be a dry ride 😅
I'm in between 13 or 14ft fiberglass at the end... The v13 sounds attractive but 3-4ppl would be a nightmare.. I'd like to bring friends in and not worrying about it..
Sometimes I wish I would be single ahah
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Jan 2023 at 10:09pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by MB MB wrote:

I would have thought a small tiller-steer pontoon boat or cat would be just the ticket. Heaps of deck space and super stable. With an inshore boat, you're not going to worry about the ride too much, so it's a good trade-off. 

Yeah that would be my thoughts as well. Awesome little fishing rigs and safer and more seaworthy. Less weight to tow as well, definitely easier to launch at north shore beaches like Narrowneck and Castor and you can then avoid Takapuna, also known as divorce ramp.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Jan 2023 at 11:37am
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

good sage advice from the likes of Sufishent and Shane.
As a small boat owner in the Auckland region, i say welcome to the fun. You'll get some great fishing inshore and have access to beautiful beaches and islands - we are blessed with what's on our doorstep.

I know a very experienced fisho with a small centre console ali who launches at various North Shore beaches, and uses the strap method to keep his AWD out of the water when the tide's not right. Very effective.

Don't underestimate the surgey nature of the sea along the northern bays, and how that can suddenly mean your vehicle is in soft sand when the water washes it around, sinking your wheels just enough to have a problem. Browns Bay, Narrowneck etc. I've watched people's cars get pretty swamped by unexpected swells. Very different to the beaches where i launch in the south-east side of the city where any swell is stopped by the islands offshore.

anyway, focusing on your budget - not sure what you can get in the pontoon market for less than $10k with a decent motor. The more reputable ones are likely to be well over that unless pretty old. The likes of the Fyran or older model fibreglass might be more likely.
I have a mate with a really tidy open top fibreglass runabout that was within your budget, but it has an old 2-stroke Mariner on the back which will probably need to be replaced soon. He only ramp launches due to the weight of the boat in sandy conditions with an AWD that he doesn't want to get wet.

Buying a boat is all about compromise and trade offs - how often is your partner realistically going to want to come out? I'd go with what suits YOU the best for fishing/boating, and forget trying to please your mates.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:02am
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

You don’t know what you don’t know as my mentor once said. Smaller and lighter is easier to learn on… and I have been learning all the time… over forty yrs owning boats and still only got to up to 16ft personally owned but been on  quite a few bigger. A 12 to 13 ft tinny will teach you a lot. Go slightly bigger in glass and the learning curve is slightly steeper. But an alloy pontoon boat in that size range  you are considering is so much safer and piece of serious kit in right hands that you can grow into with confidence.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote verga91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:15am
verga91 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Is there a way to reduce the clinking noise from the alloy? I feel like id get crazy if I stay half day in it 😆
And is there a way to keep your pontoon dry? Maybe with a bimini or something?
If actually i think only for myself I'd like something warm and dry.. I'm really tempted with the 13ft fiberglass but will I regret not buying a 14ft one?
I definitely need more boat friends and learn from them ahaha, thank you everyone for the tips. Appreciate a lot
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:23am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Having had yachts the majority of my life,20ft to 32ft,and coming back to small boats about 6 yrs ago. Found the v13 very stable at times wish I had kept the 13,stable with 2 fishing. Like all small boats,infact big ones too,keep a eye on the weather while out,now have the 16ft  and dont go any further than I did with 13 ,no need,but can 4 fish comfortably better with 3 and move around.

Looking various tinnys on trademe,most are older/repaired and how much life left in them.Motors old too.

10k budget dont rush in to the first one that fits. Many here in the under 12ft thread would be able to give solid advice     https://www.fishing.net.nz/forum/out-with-the-twelves_topic26073_page390.html ;  try sending pm to these members who are out frequently.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Sufishent Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 12:44pm
Sufishent View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by The Tamure Kid The Tamure Kid wrote:

Buying a boat is all about compromise and trade offs - how often is your partner realistically going to want to come out? I'd go with what suits YOU the best for fishing/boating, and forget trying to please your mates.

110% correct - you need to be very honest with yourself as to what the boats purpose is (fishing vs cruising),  whether the missus will be with you on EVERY trip (comfort vs function) whether you will have one, two or three people with you for EVERY trip (crew can be very unreliable), how much you can afford to spend on EVERY trip, where do you plan to fish MOST of the time, where will you launch the boat MOST times, how much time do you have for washdown and cleanup EVERY trip.

Picking a boat (by brand) without getting this sorted could waste you a heap of dollars and give you a lot of frustration ...

I bought my boat specifically for beach launching, not having to worry about the gel coat getting scratched by my clumsy mates, costs less than a tank each trip, that I could get up my driveway and my missus has only been on the boat twice in 18 years.
You can never have enough fishing tackle
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 2:36pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by verga91 verga91 wrote:

Is there a way to reduce the clinking noise from the alloy? I feel like id get crazy if I stay half day in it 😆
And is there a way to keep your pontoon dry? Maybe with a bimini or something?
If actually i think only for myself I'd like something warm and dry..

A couple of answers for you:
1. I can honestly say I've never even noticed (let alone been annoyed by) the sound of water on the hull of my aluminium runabout (an FC). Not sure if that's because of the hull/floor design, or just too busy focused on fishing? Smile I'm sure there are various marine carpets etc, but I've never even thought about it. I grew up fishing in a Parkercraft dinghy, which was very thin hulled, and again, too busy catching fish to notice the sound...

2. My feeling is that it's difficult to fully overcome the shortcomings of a boat with an inherently wet design - and there are some pontoon designs that are notorious. Some people use 'clears' around the bow. A centre console can offer some protection, especially with a bimini. But in a small centre console, any passengers who can't squeeze in beside the skipper will need a damn good raincoat if it's rough (speaking from personal experience!!).

On open runabout format, with a small 'windscreen', will offer reasonable protection against spray and wind when underway (and rain squalls). But when seated on my boat, my head is above the line of it, so in the middle of winter I do end up with watering eyes unless I have glasses on - and I sometimes wear a fleece balaclava made for hunting.
i don't have any kind of sun/rain canopy etc. Sunhat and other precautions sorts out the UV, and a decent coat on the days when a shower comes past. I don't go out if it's bucketing down.
Good dry storage space, and a good dry bag for spare dry and warm clothes, is gold in small boats.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 3:29pm
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Truth is that no small boat is going to be dry in a decent chop. Admittedly, some will be dryer than others. I see that Senator make boats with a flared gunnel (FC Boats-style, though nowhere near as big) which would help.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 5:56pm
Titanium
Titanium

I enjoy Ollie's channel, even though i'm not a spearo. The ones where he overnights on a beach at the Barrier etc are cool.
I see he's got large 'clears' (though black ones) on. His new boat will be drier than an ex-lifeguard inflatable, though, that's for sure.

Well known softbaiter Andre Kassel has mid 4m Senator (centre console) and gets out in the open sea, to Little Barrier, Gt Barrier etc.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Jan 2023 at 6:06pm
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shaneg shaneg wrote:

You don’t know what you don’t know as my mentor once said. Smaller and lighter is easier to learn on… and I have been learning all the time… over forty yrs owning boats and still only got to up to 16ft personally owned but been on  quite a few bigger. A 12 to 13 ft tinny will teach you a lot. Go slightly bigger in glass and the learning curve is slightly steeper. But an alloy pontoon boat in that size range  you are considering is so much safer and piece of serious kit in right hands that you can grow into with confidence.

Shane, here's a nice pontoon boat in the price range on TradeMe. $8000 Only.Wink

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shaneg Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Jan 2023 at 4:27pm
shaneg View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice looking barge there TK. Looks very stable. Possibly a bit wet under power. Note there is an absence of rod holders,  possibly these are flush mounted and not visible in photo provided.  Dry stowage looks minimal but maybe unseen and available in underfloor hatches.
The vessel appears to need considerable horse power to get on plane… maybe less than economical on longer trips. The deck could be like one big bait board,  but you’d be bent over processing baits and your catch… likely not suitable for older fisherman with hip or back problems. Plenty of deck space for sunbathing though, possibly could add few marine bean bags for overnighting and a large bbq for cooking.
More a sheltered waters sort of craft I suspect, which you could maybe construct a houseboat super structure on. This would allow you to mount some nav lights and also erect some sort of mast, from which you could hoist the Jolly Roger or hang your marlin tag flags from.
Certainly has potential …. but maybe less than that flash little senator the previous poster put up in link.
Page  12>