My first deer

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: My first deer
    Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 9:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah, my first deer as a pensioner! Got a few to my credit now - maybe 15 or so. Good eating right there, a fallow buck at 217 yards with my .270 on it's first shot at an animal. A bit of a rushed shot to be fair and certainly not my best but it looks dead to me.

Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Reel Deal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 10:18pm
Reel Deal View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Farmers going to be pissed losing it out of his paddock.!!
The gods do not subtract from the allotted span of men's lives the hours spent on fishing - Assyrian Proverb
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Dec 2022 at 12:40pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Yeah don't tell the farmer!!! Clown

It was on a narrow ridge with a very steep drop away both sides. Luckily I could get the ute right up to it and just had to load it on the back. Very lucky as it would have broken me Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 2:43pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

You beaaaaaauty Smudge!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote yknot Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Dec 2022 at 3:54pm
yknot View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Woohoo, there's a few about at the moment.
Congratulations   
Those that say it can't be done are being overtaken by those doing it.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 6:40am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Help needed. Been given some wild venison sausages,no issue there. Venison roast done in a slow cooker,divine. But venison steaks.Has got me .How do I cook them?? tried quick sear and blood line in middle but tough as leather,got plenty here to muck around with.
Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 8:22am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Venison dries out when over cooked. I cook the steaks whole, just a quick sear on a hot plate - two or three minutes) then cut it into thickish slices. It will be red inside with just outer looking cooked. If you're squeamish about eating red meat then a very quick sear on the cut sides is good too. A little garlic, soy, oil and lemon juice makes a good marinade. Overcooking is not good for venison.

Another option is to cut into cubes, and breadcrumb them. Again don't over cook.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 8:25am
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Help needed. Been given some wild venison sausages,no issue there. Venison roast done in a slow cooker,divine. But venison steaks.Has got me .How do I cook them?? tried quick sear and blood line in middle but tough as leather,got plenty here to muck around with.

Hey mate,

Steaks can be a bit hit and miss with regards to being tough.

What I tend to do is cut the steak meat very thin and almost stir fry/sear smaller pieces than than say like a big hunk of steak.
Bit of a teppanyaki style -

I still love a good venison stew over a big hunk of meat though, but that is a personal type of thing.

Happy to run you through some sauces/marinades if you go down this path brother.

Hope it helps.
"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Titahi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 10:56am
Titahi View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I boned out some back steaks for xmas, sliced into medallions, served with a  plum sauce reduced in  tawney port ..... Hard to beat.

"I love standing by the ocean and just knowing what its for"
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 1:30pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back steaks are the best.
I like to sear the outside in a hot frying pan and then wrap the whole piece of meat in tinfoil and put in an oven at around 120C for around 15mins.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 1:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Jaapie Jaapie wrote:

Hey mate,

Steaks can be a bit hit and miss with regards to being tough.

What I tend to do is cut the steak meat very thin and almost stir fry/sear smaller pieces than than say like a big hunk of steak.
Bit of a teppanyaki style -

I still love a good venison stew over a big hunk of meat though, but that is a personal type of thing.

Happy to run you through some sauces/marinades if you go down this path brother.

Hope it helps.
Thank You Yes,seems to be the answer,thin and quick.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 1:34pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

Back steaks are the best.
I like to sear the outside in a hot frying pan and then wrap the whole piece of meat in tinfoil and put in an oven at around 120C for around 15mins.
Thanks will it a go on Tuesday night
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 1:37pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Venison dries out when over cooked. I cook the steaks whole, just a quick sear on a hot plate - two or three minutes) then cut it into thickish slices. It will be red inside with just outer looking cooked. If you're squeamish about eating red meat then a very quick sear on the cut sides is good too. A little garlic, soy, oil and lemon juice makes a good marinade. Overcooking is not good for venison.

Another option is to cut into cubes, and breadcrumb them. Again don't over cook.
Given a few steaks,so play time.Outside was cooked and red inside. too fresh??
Killed same day as I was cooking it..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Jaapie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 2:11pm
Jaapie View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Back straps and the inner tenderloins are super tender as the muscle along the spine does very little work.

They can be eaten on the same day no worries - as Titahi says .... into medallions. BTW that plum sauce port reduction sounds magnificent. I do a similar sauce with a bit of thickened cream in it too.

@ Pcj - I would definitely be hanging the meat for a while before getting into the other cuts.
Good week in a chiller will definitely help the cause.

Super jealous.....I love venison.

Used up my last bit on Friday making this terrine.

Edit: Spelling.

"Only when the last tree has died, the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught,will we realize that we cannot eat money" - 19th Century Indian Creed
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 6:55pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

In the pic that Titahi posted, the back steaks I cut in half and sear it like that, then slice about an inch thick. The tenderloins which are also in that pic aren't very big but they are tasty as. Yes you certainly can eat that the same day. I take all the silver off the steak I do as it will cause the meat to curl and will toughen it. I also break down the muscle groups in the back legs. I even use the silverside as steak, which I had last night and it was great.

I'm have a stir fry tonight which is mostly a front shoulder (do deer have back shoulders Smudge?). All my advice is for fallow deer as I don't often get reds. Typical chilling time for me is 1 week because we shoot it on a Saturday and break it down the next. I have had them fresh, 3 days old, and one week to 3 weeks. Three weeks was ok but my preference is for 3 to seven days in the chiller.

Most butchers only hang for three days due to limits on chiller space and they need to keep up with customer demand. Personally I don't see any advantage in going over a week.

Not showing off but we have venison at least once a week. There's one hanging now. I'm looking forward to putting some of my sheep in there to be fair. Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Legacy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Mar 2023 at 7:14pm
Legacy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

A lot of the ‘steak” type meat from reds and fallows I blitz in a blender and make the best tasty burgers, you can chuck bacon in/on there for some fat.
Definitely cut as much of the sinew off as you can .
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 Mar 2023 at 9:17pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Legacy Legacy wrote:

A lot of the ‘steak” type meat from reds and fallows I blitz in a blender and make the best tasty burgers, you can chuck bacon in/on there for some fat.
Definitely cut as much of the sinew off as you can .

Have to agree with that. I keep bacon fat for cooking my turkeys and for venison burgers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 Apr 2023 at 5:15pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Found a bit of success with the steaks,removed silver lining bit,wrapped in bacon and juice appears to of soften the deer. Not my first choice of cut.Never mind worth a try.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Apr 2023 at 4:42pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Paul, here's a pic of some venison I cooked last week. It's a tad overdone but was really tasty. I would flip them over for about 15 secs to hide the red colour. 

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Dec 2023 at 7:37pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

inside the "Smudge" fridge.

Page  12>