Plastic: Mac 420 vs Smartwave 4200?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Plastic: Mac 420 vs Smartwave 4200?
    Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 1:19pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Was on my way to buying a new APB 14 ftr. And 2 boats caught my eye, with the state of the economy.

I know enough about Ally's I know a fair amount about Fiberglass, I got no idea about plastic.

The Mac is one of those Cuddy Cab Fisherman types, 50hp on the back, high sides until you get to the back, so easy enough re entry for spearing etc. One thing Ive noticed is, there is a LOT of room in the cockpit. I read somewhere it has the most cockpit room for any boat it its size.

The Smartwave is a Centre Console and also has a 50hp on the back. Its the mass selling version with console and fish bin seat behind it, which suits me as I like to stand when I steer.

So, the Smartwave looks prettier, it doesnt have overly high gunnels, but seems to have a sharp entry.

The Mac has space GALORE it looks a lot more boat like with a raised side and windscreen, but I think it might have less deadrise than the SW, possibly slightly more beam.

The Smartwave is asking 20% more approx

Which would be the general preference or are they both considered equals?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote spin king Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 1:30pm
spin king View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 1:42pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I mostly fish and speer the Islands, anywhere between 3km out to 16km out like one day its Kawau, the next session could be Hen and Chicks, maybe the Mercs. I also soft plastic up north, so something fairly stable is always nice, I mostly use lures with lots of tentacles, I find that entices the fish. Sometimes I will even beach launch, so its a fairly varied role Im looking from a 14ftr. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Uncle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 5:24pm
Uncle View Drop Down
Moderator - Black Belt
Moderator - Black Belt

Kitno would be worth talking to, he has a Mac, though I think it might be a smaller version.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Keith C Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 7:30pm
Keith C View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Both Smartwave and Mac are very stable and now both are made by Galloway. (Smartwave was originally made in Christchurch). Both are considerably heavier than the equivalent tinny so need more HP for the size. Quiet in the water and easy to add items to.
I currently have a Smartwave in the 3500 size and tested the Mac. The Mac can be wet (very wet) where the Smartwave has chines and a gunnel. The Mac does have the broader internal beam. There is a whole Facebook group on the Smartwave if you want to see more.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:30pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Cheers Uncle and Keith. 

I been in the mac 360 and it is a wet boat for sure. The cuddy cabin 420 with the high sides is actually pretty dry up the front. I could wrap the high sides all the way around, but some low sides make it good for spearing/gathering. The weight is what came to mind first, but its the right size, Ive had a 505 Gemini Rib up the side, was a pain turning it so the 420 size should be awesome. 

I do like the Smartwave 4200, it feels solid, not as much cockpit as the mac.

I think i would go the Mac 420 fisherman for the right price. Otherwise I will continue putting a 4.2m APB package together. But I do like the idea of quiet soft riding hulls.

Mortgages ahead of buying a new boat in the upcoming economy seems to be the theme, just as a general observation of prices and boats not selling in comparison to the last 4 years.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote FizFisho Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 Nov 2022 at 8:41pm
FizFisho View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I forgot to say I didnt realise they both made by Galloway now.

But Im pretty sure Ive seen the bigger SW centre console in the mac 420, it looks awesome, 2 person wide, lots of gran rails and screen, still has about a foot to get around each side. The SW4200 is limited to the single man CC which is still very nice, it is quite tight around it. 

Just an observation of centre consoles, the mac I like is the new Fisherman model. There was a wave breaker type before it which wasnt pretty but was very functional. It had a DIY wooden floor. The new one I think is cut precisely to the pattern.

Wood be easy to put a hard top up front of the new fisherman and have clears running to the screen and around the sides, a rocket launcher at the back. Seems to be a fair few on the lower west coast NI.

Another 4.2m size thats competing for me is the Seaforce 420 Winna. VERY nice boat. I like that its certified to float upright if flooded. Its very deep has nice deep sides. very nice mould that was used for them, all the chairs and everything very clean Glass build.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CanadianJohn Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Dec 2022 at 11:46am
CanadianJohn View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

for the mac you could get bimini with clears made up.

my last one, i've had two of the 420s, i got a bimini just the right size and shape and set it up so i could tilt it forward so it almost met the little windscreen. at speed there was enough of a wind buffer to push the spray away.
at first i had it so the bimini edge was just behind the screen but moved it about 20cm before and the gap was about 20-30cm to see out of and that worked best.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pierre'o Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Feb 2023 at 2:28pm
Pierre'o View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi there Fiz. I have the SW4200 and love it. Checkout my thought patters leading to the decision and the walkthrough i did on my YT channel - OutSmart SMARTWAVE 4200.