Small Charcoal Grill

Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote RockCrashing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Small Charcoal Grill
    Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 9:00am
RockCrashing View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

About five weeks ago i've seen on TM a small 18kg LPG bottle. I pay for it 21dollars, cut the opening, strip the paint, welded some pieces, burn-in.
I've cook on it already three times it works ok but imo needs more air flow.
I'm already working on it and decided to add a door.
Few pic of the grill 

First burn-off, 5kg of charcoal.

some more burning-off :)

Malaysian chicken satay. Works well with anodized grill grates 

Voila, dinner is served... but where is the beer you ask LOL
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 9:56am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Very nice. Where is the beer?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 Mar 2022 at 8:59pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice one.
I admire your skills and imagination. I've had my eye on an old milking churner at my father in law's farm as an ideal DIY barbecue base, but don't have the equipment or skill to turn that into a reality.

One thing I've learned about charcoal barbecuing, having watched a lot of Weber-based videos from the US, is the benefit of having a bottom wire section to put the hot coals on, above the cooking level.

Fitting a rack below your cooking level to put the hot coals on would help the air fan your coals. Having hot coals lying directly on the bottom of the barbecue pan is nowhere near as efficient. As you've noted, they can't breathe.

I also bought a charcoal chimney burner thing sold by Weber which is dynamite. Can't recommend it enough. With just some scrunched up paper/or fire lighter and a match, you get the coals to red hot embers in there first, then tip/spread them on the cooking layer, and you're into it.

Nothing beats a good charcoal barbie in my opinion.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote fred01 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 Jul 2022 at 8:23pm
fred01 View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

I had Hunsaker drums. They work great. I regret selling them and will own one again. Cook times seemed shorter on my drums compared to my Shirley at similar temps, I assume that is related to convection or more direct heat in the drum. The flavor is different than a stick burner, not necessarily bad or anything like that but different, as JWACKS mentioned. Dripping fat/juices onto the charcoal basket does produce a different flavor, aside from the fuel source...matter of personal preference. I read reviews and suggestion from thebarbec before purchasing. I don't really consider whether or not one cooker or another wins in competition barbecue to have that much to do with anything other than competition barbecue, personally everyone seems to turn their noses up to saucy injected things here anyway.