stolen land ?

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: stolen land ?
    Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 4:39pm
lawabidingpoacher View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

FOR  FCensoredCensoredCensored SAKE ! STOP LIVING IN THE PAST , ALL YOU THAT WANT SOMETHING FOR FCensoredCensoredCensored ALL WOULD PROBABLY DO A LOT BETTER IF YOU JUST GOT OFF YOUR ACensoredCensoredCensored AND TRYED TO EARN A LIVING... PAST IS PAST , WE CAN'T CHANGE THAT , IT WAS WHAT IT WAS....Sorry just venting from the greens latest , not racist at all Angry
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:27pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Kind have to agree,, its future that counts and we as a nation are being drawn into something we had no control over.
Media doesn't help either. If we live and work in New Zealand we are New Zealanders', just get on with it and most will be happier ( although you can't please every one any where in the world)
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 6:46pm
Silver
Silver

Media !! there  needs to be some very serious looking into the media ,  a lot of wording in there favour on a Lot of topics , a lot of bit's of info strung together to look dramatic !! Censoredisses me off   ,im kinda glad we dont have a tv at the moment !!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:53pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

What are you referring to LAP?
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (7) Likes(7)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 7:58pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

New Zealand is in the process of being socially re-engineered.
Everything that made this country the country it is now is being cancelled and replaced by all things Maori.
This is deliberate.
The media is doing what they are told and once the media reforms take place, this social re-engineering will gain pace.
If you were to ask any would be tourist who made NZ what it is today, I bet they would say "Maori" as they know no different given the barrage of propoganda being pumped into the atmosphere.
Just about every part of the media now only says Aotearoa.
All Governemnt departments no longer have New Zealand on their stationary.
Only Aotearoa.
I am a fifth generation New Zelander who can hold no other passport, unlike many New Zealanders of Maori descent who travel on UK and European passports.
My ancestors were not wealthy English land owners.
They were impoverished settlers who arrived here with nothing.
They have never owned large tracts of land nor huge businesses, all they have done is worked hard, up skilled and made sure their children got a descent education to help in their future within the world, not the confines of these little Islands.
Point is they started with nothing and have had no more help than any other citizen has had.
Truth is, New Zealanders of Maori descent over the last few generations and at least the last 4 odd decades have had far more help financially, educationally and socially than all others and what is more, they had family here where as my ancestors had no one.
Perhaps that is why many are still where they are.
It is easier to accept hand outs, keep bleating than to put in a hard days graft.
Not all of course, however it is always the squeaky wheel that gets the oil and why should those New Zealanders of Maori descent who have made something for themselves not take advantage of both sides.
It is just human nature.
Everyone from every culture/race has at one stage in their history been, invaded, conquered and/or colonized.
Even the despised British who by the way, made the world we live in the place it is today for good and/or bad.
In my opinion only, mostly good.
Take care.

Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 8:20pm
Alan L View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Legasea Legend member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (5) Likes(5)   Quote Schampy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Feb 2022 at 9:40pm
Schampy View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Welcome to the Zimbabwe of the Pacific.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Fish Addict Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 12:14am
Fish Addict View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Posturing by the Greens to align themselves with Labour thus enhancing potential future alliances?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 5:26am
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No issue to hand land back that wrongfully confiscated ,ie.Land that is in prime growing positon for crops etc or like the case in Raglin,I think it was, where land was confiscated to build a Airforce base and then turned in to a golf course, subsequently land handed back and now covered in gorse etc. But if it is where they sold the land (at the time) a fair price and now want more compensation tough. How many of us have sold houses/land over the years and now risen in value, can we back to the purchaser with our handout saying. Sorry sold it to cheap you owe me x amount??

Amateur's built the ark. Professional built the Titanic
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote tjm Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 3:19pm
tjm View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Its a pity the rank and file Maori don't get to see the billions of money and assets owned by the various tribes, then maybe some of the issues that have arisen would be sorted out, in the days when we could joke between each other without repercussions , a good Maori mate of mine said that he and his family didn't see and never would any of the compensation the tribe had been paid out, we laughed about it but then humans are human all over the world, some work and exist, some are lucky and also skilled and get wealthy and some are corrupt and take advantage of their own people , has happened for thousands of years, is happening now and probably always will.
V8 there are many people in this country that feel like you do but don't want to be singled out so they keep quiet, not worth the hassle, but really what's happening will actually create more divisions . Any way let the wind drop so we can go fishing while we can 
Cant beat hunting and Fishing in N.Z
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:33pm
Silver
Silver

Originally posted by tjm tjm wrote:

Its a pity the rank and file Maori don't get to see the billions of money and assets owned by the various tribes, then maybe some of the issues that have arisen would be sorted out, in the days when we could joke between each other without repercussions , a good Maori mate of mine said that he and his family didn't see and never would any of the compensation the tribe had been paid out, we laughed about it but then humans are human all over the world, some work and exist, some are lucky and also skilled and get wealthy and some are corrupt and take advantage of their own people , has happened for thousands of years, is happening now and probably always will.
V8 there are many people in this country that feel like you do but don't want to be singled out so they keep quiet, not worth the hassle, but really what's happening will actually create more divisions . Any way let the wind drop so we can go fishing while we can 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 Feb 2022 at 6:47pm
Silver
Silver

TJM . Nail on the head !!! I have many maori friends and family , most don't care about handouts , but those who do go quiet real quick when i ask " what or how much in actual $$ do you and your family acually get to help you from these deals ? truthfull answer is $0 .. helping with poverty etc my fCensoredCensoredCensoredCensoredn  aCensoredCensorede  ... There are a few and i am sure it is only a few who are REALLLY benifiting from whats going on , and i believe some are probably involved in running this country ..Yes there are some in forestry , fishing , and a few other ventures on wages  , but the real $$$ they or there family  are never  going to see or benifit from ..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 1:42pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

For those who say that the British and NZ settlers made NZ what it is today, it was largely made possible / easier using the money gained from getting "free" or virtually free (or even stolen) resources such as kauri, rimu, gold and land.
Roads were built using nz resources to access basically "free" land. Farmland was created by selling off the "free" trees that once occupied it. The farmland was then given away cheaply to encourage new settlers. Houses were built from the "free" trees that the Europeans "discovered".

Kind of like me building houses on your land, using your building materials from your shed, and your gold to pay for labour, and giving away bits of your land to pay for workers, then saying that I made it all myself.

by the way, I do not own land or a house here. I cannot afford it. The crown owns a lot of land, but they refuse to release it for building on, so that it keeps the demand high and prices up.

Can I come and build a house on your land using your resources, and your money please? Then I'll be able to tell my grandkids how I am a self made man who arrived with nothing and built a life for myself.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (3) Likes(3)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 3:58pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

For those who say that the British and NZ settlers made NZ what it is today, it was largely made possible / easier using the money gained from getting "free" or virtually free (or even stolen) resources such as kauri, rimu, gold and land.
Roads were built using nz resources to access basically "free" land. Farmland was created by selling off the "free" trees that once occupied it. The farmland was then given away cheaply to encourage new settlers. Houses were built from the "free" trees that the Europeans "discovered".

Kind of like me building houses on your land, using your building materials from your shed, and your gold to pay for labour, and giving away bits of your land to pay for workers, then saying that I made it all myself.

by the way, I do not own land or a house here. I cannot afford it. The crown owns a lot of land, but they refuse to release it for building on, so that it keeps the demand high and prices up.

Can I come and build a house on your land using your resources, and your money please? Then I'll be able to tell my grandkids how I am a self made man who arrived with nothing and built a life for myself.
All very true to a point.
Having said all of that.
If the settlers had not arrived and put in the hard yards for the "free" trees and "free" land. Most of it would have been destroyed by the locals anyway.
Check your history and you will find early Maori destroyed thousands of acres of native flora by fire, not to grow crops, farm animals or to create industry but to simply drive their prey into the open for slaughter after which much was wasted.
That is why when the claim "kaitiaki" status, I grind my teeth.
Who knows how many rare species unseen to the world were destroyed before the arrival of Europeans.
They also denuded hills and volcanic cones to build fortified Pa with all flora around them destroyed to give an open view and no cover for any potential enemy.
Add to this, early Maori introduced the first three biggest predators.
The Pacific Rat, the Dog and themselves.
Bear in mind also, that not all the land and trees were free.
Much was paid for and the early Maori thought they were getting a good deal with the trading of land for modern technology such as steel and gun powder et al.
It is only relatively recently that it has been decided the locals were tricked. 
Many were not.
In those times the technology brought to these Isles would have seemed like magic and mana from the gods and they all wanted a piece of it.
Especially to the most violent tribes.
In those days, they did not care, all they wanted was the technology, now that land is seen as a financial asset and not a merely there asset, all these claims are climbing from the woodwork.
If the settlers had failed in taming the land, do you believe these huge claims, some dubious, would be going ahead now.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 5:14pm
Silver
Silver

I believe that if Europeans had not arrived   , the Maori would not be here today ! as v8 says the ways of harvesting Kai would have meant  food on land , apart from some cropswould have gone ,  wiped out by unsustainable harvesting . Kai from the sea would have i would think lasted a lot longer simply because it was harder to get and may have been enough to get them through .. . remember there  where no trout , pigs , deer  , rabbits  ,possums ....Yes us  Europeans also harvested some species to near extingtion through greed  and a lack of knowledge no doubt about it , but it was how things were done back then ! I would have no problems with the Claims of injustice going on at the moment if the lower end of the socio economic group of Maori who do live in real poverty would get proper housing for a start .. although how much of this is caused by alcohol and drug abuse  ? I could go on for ever But  We ALL need to start thinking as ONE !! BECAUSE AS IT IS GOING NOW  , NO ONE WILL BE THE WINNER  , WE ALL LOOSE !!! COUNTRY CensoredUCKED ! 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Coastbusters Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 6:28pm
Coastbusters View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Come on @lawabidingpoacher and @v8. Nobody has changed the landscape or pillaged the world's resources as much as Europeans, and Europeans haven't gone extinct. To say that Māori lived here for almost a thousand years, and longer in the pacific, on Rarotonga etc, but they wouldn't have lasted another couple of hundred years before completely wiping themselves out is crazy. Before commercial fishing, whaling, sealing etc, there would have been enough fish and food to sustain the relatively small population of Māori forever. Kumara grows anywhere. Māori ate lots of plants that are still in abundance. Sure, all humans have an environmental impact, and are destructive, but to try to say that Māori had more of a destructive impact than Europeans in the 700 - 1000 years they were here compare to the impact in the 300 years that Europeans have been here is preposterous. We are not self sufficient here. We ship container ships full of food and product in every day. We buy it from poorer countries who cannot afford the very fruit that they grow. Or we grow it in foreign countries on land that the crown stole, and built with slave labour. It is just another way the Europeans get "handouts".

People who are complaining about "Māori handouts" need to remember that Europeans got some fairly substantial handouts in the form of cheap boat fares, cheap or free land, etc to enable them to colonise here. This was still going on until fairly recently. People from Europe coming over here after the war and buying beachfront land for a very low price, because the crown pretty much got it for free. So if anyone is whining about handouts, but their parents paid 2 grand for a beach bach in the 50s, which they are going to inherit, then they need to take a fresh look at that.

To put it in perspective. At 1960s pay rate of $1 per hour, this equated to 6000 hours of work to buy a $6000 average priced tauranga home.
Now, at $20 per hour minimum wage, it equates to 50,000 hours to buy a property at Tauranga's average house price. Settlers didn't get handouts?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote v8-coupe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 Feb 2022 at 10:59pm
v8-coupe View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Coastbusters Coastbusters wrote:

Come on @lawabidingpoacher and @v8. Nobody has changed the landscape or pillaged the world's resources as much as Europeans, and Europeans haven't gone extinct. To say that Māori lived here for almost a thousand years, and longer in the pacific, on Rarotonga etc, but they wouldn't have lasted another couple of hundred years before completely wiping themselves out is crazy. Before commercial fishing, whaling, sealing etc, there would have been enough fish and food to sustain the relatively small population of Māori forever. Kumara grows anywhere. Māori ate lots of plants that are still in abundance. Sure, all humans have an environmental impact, and are destructive, but to try to say that Māori had more of a destructive impact than Europeans in the 700 - 1000 years they were here compare to the impact in the 300 years that Europeans have been here is preposterous. We are not self sufficient here. We ship container ships full of food and product in every day. We buy it from poorer countries who cannot afford the very fruit that they grow. Or we grow it in foreign countries on land that the crown stole, and built with slave labour. It is just another way the Europeans get "handouts".

People who are complaining about "Māori handouts" need to remember that Europeans got some fairly substantial handouts in the form of cheap boat fares, cheap or free land, etc to enable them to colonise here. This was still going on until fairly recently. People from Europe coming over here after the war and buying beachfront land for a very low price, because the crown pretty much got it for free. So if anyone is whining about handouts, but their parents paid 2 grand for a beach bach in the 50s, which they are going to inherit, then they need to take a fresh look at that.

To put it in perspective. At 1960s pay rate of $1 per hour, this equated to 6000 hours of work to buy a $6000 average priced tauranga home.
Now, at $20 per hour minimum wage, it equates to 50,000 hours to buy a property at Tauranga's average house price. Settlers didn't get handouts?

Firstly, I did not say Maori would not have survived without European help.
I am sure they would/could have.
I said NZ would not be the country it is today without some sort of intervention be that by the British, French, Spanish or Dutch et al.
Turns out in NZ's case it was the British.
Maori may not have been as environmentally damaging as the Europeans, however they did burn thousands of acres of land for no more than to drive prey into the open for slaughter.
They have found ash layers in the ice in the antarctic that relates to these events so they must have been big fires.
They also denuded hills and volcanic cones to build fortified pa.
For a small population, they decimated the Moa, a prime food source and by doing so sent the Haast Eagle into oblivion.
Not to mention the slaughter of each other and also the near annihalation of the peaceful Moriori and their culture which for some reason the NZ Government was forced to apologize and pay compensation, not the Iwi or their descendants who perpetrated the act.
The path history took and as life would have it, the Europeans arrived so we will never know one way or another just how early Maori would have faired if left to their own devices.
I do know one thing we can all agree on, you cannot keep burning/chopping down forests and introducing non native predators like rats, dogs and even man without consequences and every single race culture on this planet has been guilty of doing just that..
Yes I know, the evil Eurpean introduced many more.
Does not alter my point.
Legasea Legend Member
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Alan L Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:10am
Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote MB Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 11:17am
MB View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

No doubt there were many serious wrongs committed in the past, but even with the best intentions, those wrongs cannot be reversed. We are heading down a very dangerous route of race-based politics with special privileges for a small minority based on their DNA. It is the very definition of racism. NZ has gone mad. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote lawabidingpoacher Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 Feb 2022 at 7:31pm
Silver
Silver

reading again what i wrote  , my wording is maybe not right . always have had a hard time putting pen to paper . yes the Maori would have survivedand if no one else came here would have done ok fighting for land etc between themselfs  if other nationalities has got her before us would anything be any different ? who knows ! maybe all would have been killed in the battles ? but then we wouldn't be NZ and none of us would be here now .. ??At the end of the day we need to be working as one nation , all together and moving NZ FORWORD not BACKWARDS.
Page  12>