Xmas Comp! Rough Conditions. Mokau

Post Options Post Options   Likes (4) Likes(4)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Xmas Comp! Rough Conditions. Mokau
    Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 5:47am
Snappa Geoff View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Hi All, Its been Three odd weeks of crap conditions here in Mokau since last time out, with our four day Xmas New Year Comp just completed. It provided only one fishable day for myself in the little Mac but thats all I needed to retain the Measure Snapper Title! I joined the club again seven years ago and its been seven wins on the trot now in this CompThumbs Up. With growing membership and more and more boats coming here to fish i wasn't confident at all like previous years with mid 80cm Snaps on taking it out with a 78.5cm Snap. Probably still a 20 lb fish but in the end got over the line by 3cm. I want to point out again for fishing the Westcoast in Summer the big fish that are still around after spawning are in close. I was in ten meters. Dozens of bigger boats chose the 40-50 meter mark like most Westcoast Fisho's do and struggled like every other year but they still carry on doing it? Alot of  fish anywhere measure Comps on at the mo, I have entered most of them and hope to take a few others out in the Mighty Little Mac! Happy New Years All, let those big fish dreams come True!!Beer 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 9:21am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

I want to point out again for fishing the Westcoast in Summer the big fish that are still around after spawning are in close. I was in ten meters. Dozens of bigger boats chose the 40-50 meter mark like most Westcoast Fisho's do and struggled like every other year but they still carry on doing it?

That is interesting..
Different part of the coast, and only been fishing it regular for 4 or 5yrs now...and keep a log of where when , tide date position etc where catch fish.
Last week the gurus said along the lines go "50/60 m then work way back home this time of yr..."
My logs said  Jan ..start at the feet and have full bin and can head home early, good fish, KY and snaps in the 50 to 70 cm range at the mid 30s m. Its not jan yet, but the tides right and the water surface temps are up there..
So thats what we did...binned up just as the logs said , and headed home an hr early (to catch safe the bar /tide)

And the guys who went wide.. chassing bill fish all day, and a general fish, dropped lines out at the 50/60..slow to say the least... called me asking where I had been so they could get a good feed on the way home.. "30/34m" on sounder top of the tide."  Which put us only 7/8km off the coast rather than the 16/18km.

Also found similar when fished the east coast/ Furth for many yrs...we would fish the 2 to 20.. mostly  the more shallow end of that.. and those who went wide didnt do as well most times, unless hit the channel islands.
It was the kayak guys that made use 'tweak ' to that early on.
 And all the best for the new year to you as well.

let those big fish dreams come True!!Beer

Yep.. dreams are made by homework, not luck.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 5:37pm
Titanium
Titanium

Steps when I refer to most of the boats out wide struggle I'm talking about  them catching a fish thats going to win a competition.  Same Westcoast as yours Steps alot of Snaps 50-70 cm were caught like you catch up there but sorry mate that sort of size won't win you a Comp. Do you understand that its pretty simple?Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pcj Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 5:47pm
Pcj View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Well done Geoff,one would think .Hmm Geoff won it last 7 yrs,maybe just maybe we should seek out where he fishes rather going miles offshore.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote shad Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 8:31pm
shad View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Well done Geoff, were you fishing with Mick
LOVE THE FREEDOM

SHAD
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote krow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 9:15pm
krow View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice Geoff I bet there isn't another snapper comp won by the same person for 7 years in a trott. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Kandrew Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 Dec 2021 at 9:43pm
Kandrew View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

7 years in a row awesome!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 6:00am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Pcj Pcj wrote:

Well done Geoff,one would think .Hmm Geoff won it last 7 yrs,maybe just maybe we should seek out where he fishes rather going miles offshore.
Cheers Paul! I know I'm blowing me own trumpet here but I'm actually on Thirteen Comps won in a row for Biggest Snap. We have our two month summer comp on now following the xmas one and I'm undefeated in that one as well. I offer Guys advice down here as I do all the time on the Forum and not one of them has ever taken it. The funniest part is listening to all the theories and excuses to why most of our members can't catch a decent fish in summer.Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 6:04am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by shad shad wrote:

Well done Geoff, were you fishing with Mick
Hi Rodney Happy new years to Ya! No Mick took his son out for few hours in his boat on same day...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 6:06am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by krow krow wrote:

Nice Geoff I bet there isn't another snapper comp won by the same person for 7 years in a trott. 
Hi Krow, thanks for the kind words! Have a good year. Beer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 6:07am
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by Kandrew Kandrew wrote:

7 years in a row awesome!
Cheers Kandrew, Happy new years!!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Steps Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 9:10am
Steps View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Geof, I know we are not catching the comp size fish nor targeting them
We are not fishing the size baits ,tackle to win comps.. or even fishing comps.
 Was just reading your your comment on staying in closer matches up with what I have seen in our logs..
And that everyone else goes wide, yet we also do consistently better so fat than those who do go wider..

Its nice that your advice that constantly pulls proven results from yourself, confirming that what we are starting to see in our logs over the last few yrs, indicating we are starting to go down on the right track.

I offer Guys advice down here as I do all the time on the Forum and not one of them has ever taken it.

Not quite right... we have been and are..Thumbs Up
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote Snappa Geoff Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 Jan 2022 at 10:45am
Titanium
Titanium

Maybe thats where I differ from so many others on here Steps! I'm to competitive! Have a good new year StepsBeer
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muzzfishing Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 Jan 2022 at 9:20pm
Muzzfishing View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Well done Geoff and a Happy New Year.  Handshake
Great way to start the year.  Lets hope 2022 is a great year for everyone.    Great record to have winning those comps. Thumbs Up

A Good Skipper Keeps the water on the outside of the boat.