Hamilton help

Page  12>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hamilton help
    Posted: 26 Sep 2021 at 8:12pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hi is there anyone in the Hamilton area familiar with wiring of a boat, I have a sea nymph 14" 6 and am looking to tidy up some wiring at the battery.

otherwise suggestions for decent Hamilton simple boat electrics people.

J
it's a fact woggle-bogglebee exists.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 1:07pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Can anyone help Jezza with some advice? I'll move this post into the Boat  forum also
Best gurnard fisherman in my street
Post Options Post Options   Likes (2) Likes(2)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 3:44pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Yup, Jezza, Ill send you a message..
you can't fix an idiot with duct tape, but it does muffle them for a while...
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 6:01pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Nice work Big Dave!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:30pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Let me know how you get on with things, I have a go to contact we use through work for all car electrical things and he does a terrific job but has a bit of a wait time as a result
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RogueOne Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 Sep 2021 at 9:50pm
RogueOne View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

I have the hydraulic crimpers and some other heavy-gauge battery stuff from when i changed my setup to start/house. Also done a few rewires and added VSR etc so yell out if you want a hand or need some idea's
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:06pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Hey, 

Thanks chaps. Had a go at it on Friday with a mate, Dave has kindly offered to help when we get out of level 3 I guess.

We got the vhf and stereo working, There was allot of corrosion under the stereo and found hidden fuses x 2 that needed replacing, strange thing was the Garmin echo 150 fish finder was working before we did all that and now its not, has power at battery, at power plug and at the finder but the sucker is not doing its thing. Any suggestions are appreciated. There is one blue wire I cant work out what its for , tracing the finder wires up the boat it doesn't seam to exist ..

Level 3 sucks as the water is flat this week, Lucky Thames isn't in it at present. Took dad out Sunday as an excuse to give the boat a run. Got on the water at 1 off at 6 full bin of snaps and one gurnard.

woggleboggle exists

J

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 3:30pm
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Jezza Jezza wrote:

Hey, 

Thanks chaps. Had a go at it on Friday with a mate, Dave has kindly offered to help when we get out of level 3 I guess.

We got the vhf and stereo working, There was allot of corrosion under the stereo and found hidden fuses x 2 that needed replacing, strange thing was the Garmin echo 150 fish finder was working before we did all that and now its not, has power at battery, at power plug and at the finder but the sucker is not doing its thing. Any suggestions are appreciated. There is one blue wire I cant work out what its for , tracing the finder wires up the boat it doesn't seam to exist ..

Level 3 sucks as the water is flat this week, Lucky Thames isn't in it at present. Took dad out Sunday as an excuse to give the boat a run. Got on the water at 1 off at 6 full bin of snaps and one gurnard.

woggleboggle exists

J

Hi Jezza, I'm  a sparky (ex sparky). Is there any chance you connected the fish finder round the wrong way? That will toast electrics quicker than you can blink. Whatever you do don't just randomly connect wires 'to see what happens'.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote CrayZfish Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 Oct 2021 at 8:04pm
CrayZfish View Drop Down
Gold
Gold

Smudge"Hi Jezza, I'm  a sparky (ex sparky). Is there any chance you connected the fish finder round the wrong way? That will toast electrics quicker than you can blink. Whatever you do don't just randomly connect wires 'to see what happens'.

Smudge, you've confused me. I thought you were a professional gurnard fisherman (Ex gurnard fisherman) as your licence has expired due lack of use. Would never have picked you as a sparky, i thought sparkies were always creepy.

Actually now i think of it LOL 

Why choose either diving or fishing when you can do both. Besides crayfish tail is very good bait!!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 8:58am
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

He smudge , its very weird I think maybe coincidently the FF gave up working, If I can find where the blue wire actually goes ill connect it, learnt the hard way with the bilge pump connecting the wrong wires leads to wires being fried and danger on the boat.

yet the FF worked after this fact. so again not sure. its good to have one at low tide at waikawau.

J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:56am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

I found this on the Garmin website:

Not all of the wires in the harness are required for use. To connect the unit to the power source, only the black & red wires are required (black to ground, red to positive). Here are descriptions of the other wires in the harness:

• The Blue wire is used for a NMEA data out connection to another NMEA compatible device. The fish finder outputs NMEA 0183 version 3.01. The receiving device must be compatible with this format and looking for the NEMA sentences DPT, DBT, MTM, or VHW.
  • The Brown wire is used for a NMEA data in connection to receive data from another NMEA compatible device.
  • The Yellow wire is used to connect to an external buzzer or alarm to alert you to any alarms which have been set to sound on the device. The Yellow GARMIN wire connects to the negative end of the external alarm. The positive return on the alarm will connect to the red positive wire of GARMIN.
  • The green, white, and any other colors present have no connection purpose related to your fishfinder. The 18 Pin connector wiring harness is used by several other devices which utilize these wires.
If the device is only being connected to power & do not require a NMEA interface, PC connection, or external alarm support, only the red & black wires are required.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:58am
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by CrayZfish CrayZfish wrote:

Smudge"Hi Jezza, I'm  a sparky (ex sparky). Is there any chance you connected the fish finder round the wrong way? That will toast electrics quicker than you can blink. Whatever you do don't just randomly connect wires 'to see what happens'.

Smudge, you've confused me. I thought you were a professional gurnard fisherman (Ex gurnard fisherman) as your licence has expired due lack of use. Would never have picked you as a sparky, i thought sparkies were always creepy.

Oi!!!, i'm a sparky too. Angry
I'll get around to jezzas when the lockdown levels permit. We will sort it
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 9:59am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

If it has stopped working don't mess with where the wires go. That unit appears to have an inline fuse holder. It isn't always obvious if a fuse has blown. Either try it again with another correct size fuse or better still use a voltmeter to check you are getting a supply voltage
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:00am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

It's all starting to make sense no isn't it CrayZfish? Big smile
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote smudge Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 10:01am
smudge View Drop Down
Moderator - Ninja
Moderator - Ninja

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

We're well used to sparky jokes now though aren't we Big-Dave
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 Oct 2021 at 2:35pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

Yeah used a Voltmeter and it seams.

Says that there is 12 volts at finder, and at the battery.

Will replace the fuse.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Big -Dave Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 Oct 2021 at 9:07pm
Big -Dave View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Originally posted by smudge smudge wrote:

Originally posted by Big -Dave Big -Dave wrote:

<div ="msgsignature_wrapper="" clearfix"=""><div ="msgsignature_container="" col-sm-9="" col-sm-offset-3"=""><div ="msgsignature"="">

We're well used to sparky jokes now though aren't we Big-Dave

Aye..especially from people at the mill..
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:33pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

HI Mate 

Can i get that contact number, I ended up paying a guy to come and look at the electricals , he re wired a few things and to be honest its now worse, 

No stereo
No VHF
No finder 

VHF and finder are essential for safety so I bought a handheld VHF 
but sounder still sux.

Just a bilge pump that works.

J
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Jezza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:46pm
Jezza View Drop Down
Silver
Silver

any help is much appreciated
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote JustAnotherSpearo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 Jan 2022 at 7:58pm
JustAnotherSpearo View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

I can pop round tomorrow afternoon after work if you flick me your phone number in a PM Jezza.

No promises Ill know a soultion or the answer, my experience is just slapping the electronics in the 4 boats the family has gone through over the years but quite happy to have a look over it and try help.
Page  12>