Rock Setup advice

Page  123>
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rock Setup advice
    Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 12:22pm
RockyWannabe View Drop Down
Bronze
Bronze

Hi all, after a long hiatus from rock hopping I am after a new setup and would appreciate some advice.

I'm after a 7-8ft (preferably one piece) spinning setup to tackle Snaps but given the opportunity will pull a Kingi.

Any advice on rods, reels and weight class would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
RockyWannabe
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 3:25pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Daiwa VIP 80s with a 12000 sized shimano baitrunner c, d or even the Thunnus depending on budget.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 3:38pm
Bronze
Bronze

Boom I think ypu nailed it on the head Pico, that will fit the bill. And just run 15kg line?

Cheers
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 3:55pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Where you fishing? What area?

That is most important.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:41pm
Bronze
Bronze

Hey mate spend a lot of time between Coromandel and Far North East Coast.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:53pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Fair enough those are serious spots where distance casting is not needed.

I would still go 9 foot plus rod on snapper.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 4:58pm
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks Muppet, any suggestions a 9 footer to look at?
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 5:19pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

The Okuma Tournament 10ft is good about $150
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 5:37pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Yeah 15kg mono is the way to go if you’re looking to give yourself a shot at kings too.

And 15kg mono for snapper isn’t overkill with some of the donkeys swimming around in the far north.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 5:55pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

In terms of rod length I think you’ll be fine with 7-8 foot if that’s what you’re in to.

I’ve got a mate who uses a 7 footer in the far north. But I’ve also got a mate who likes 10 foot rods. There’s no right or wrong answer, just depends what you’re comfortable with really. The longer rods can be handy when there’s a bit of swell around.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote The Tamure Kid Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 7:27pm
The Tamure Kid View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

This Okuma X-Factor 10-15kg rock fishing rod is one worth considering. I've got one, and at 8'6" it's a decent compromise between 7' and 10'.I like using it along the Tutukaka coast etc. Only $135.

https://www.marine-deals.co.nz/surfcasting-and-rock-fishing-rods/okuma-x-factor-ii-spinning-rock-rod-8ft-6in-10-15kg-2pc?gclid=Cj0KCQjwhIP6BRCMARIsALu9Lfls-wS6nD_zKjXOscKcXHwBy4ff8H4WXbZ4bW9irvVL4aq5WP4MYfUaApRcEALw_wcB

i know you mentioned one piece, but I reckon it's often helpful to have 2 pc in terms of the clamber in to your spot.

The X-Factor is a composite, so can cope with a bit of knocking around that's almost inevitable on the rocks, even if you carry a rock spike to stand the rod in when you're re-baiting etc.

I also have a Daiwa VIP spin, and they are bulletproof and an absolute classic. Heavier than the composite rods, obviously.
The Ugly Stik Black Tiger is another to consider in the 7" length. Slower action than the others, but can handle decent sized fish.

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 Aug 2020 at 8:21pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

My favourite rock combos were the old Jellytip Rocky II with the original chrome guides paired with a Slosh 30. Even in Auckland I got well enough distance to get great snapper action.

And I had a 10ft Kilwell Viking my ol mate made 9'10 on its first outing. Once repaired with a 6500b Baitrunner...the good ol days!

I gave that rod away with the Rocky II to someone off here, they deserved to stay together.
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 11:07am
Bronze
Bronze

Thanks guys for all the advice. Wish I could get my hands on a Rocky II. I've got a Killwell Jelly OH paired with a Saltist which is an absolute weapon combo off the boat.

I'm definitely going to load a Thunnus with 15kg Mono. For the rod I will have a good look in to all your suggestions.

It is definitely a matter of what tickles your fancy!

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 1:15pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

There was a guy selling a mint Rocky 2 on Facebook marketplace a couple of months ago, looked to be set up for spin. Think he was asking $200. Could be worth a look.

Great rods!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 1:25pm
Bronze
Bronze

Cheers Pico, will have a nosey. Just weighing up one or two piece now!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (1) Likes(1)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 5:10pm
Bronze
Bronze

Guess who is the proud new owner of a brand new Rocky II ! Thanks Pico for the insider tip. Its going to fit the bill perfectly. 8'6 Spin 10-15kg. And ive decided with a Thunnus 12000 running 10kg and a spare 15kg spool for when I run up north.

Thanks guys. I'm set!
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Muppet Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 Aug 2020 at 5:44pm
Muppet View Drop Down
Titanium
Titanium

Nice great score
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 11:59am
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by RockyWannabe RockyWannabe wrote:

Guess who is the proud new owner of a brand new Rocky II ! Thanks Pico for the insider tip. Its going to fit the bill perfectly. 8'6 Spin 10-15kg. And ive decided with a Thunnus 12000 running 10kg and a spare 15kg spool for when I run up north.

Thanks guys. I'm set!

Great score mate, that's a mean combo, and the spare spool is always handy. 
Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote RockyWannabe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:05pm
Bronze
Bronze

I'm actually thinking of the below for a reel, worried the Thunnus 12000 wont hold enough 15kg line when I do want to use it. What are your guys thoughts?

Post Options Post Options   Likes (0) Likes(0)   Quote Pico Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 Aug 2020 at 12:06pm
Pico View Drop Down
Platinum
Platinum

Originally posted by Muppet Muppet wrote:

My favourite rock combos were the old Jellytip Rocky II with the original chrome guides paired with a Slosh 30. Even in Auckland I got well enough distance to get great snapper action.

Yeah that's an iconic combo alright! I use pretty much the same for my lbg straylining. Got a mate to build me a custom rod on a kilwell blank, basically a rocky but with fuji guides and a fuji reel seat. 
Page  123>